Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 25th 2017, 3:25 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
So no real problem for the sporting people after all.
I think having to apply for £600 visas (and pay £1,000 Immigration Health Surcharge when professional sports persons are most likely to be employed by teams with private medical coverage) after years of being exempt will reduce the number of people applying, as I suggest many will continue to go where they don't need visas.

Why - perhaps it's where the jobs are, perhaps it's the use of English, perhaps it's the allure of London.
Perhaps because the UK is seen as the best place to be in many sports.

Premier League football, Pro12, Aviva Premiership (both rugby union) and Super League (rugby league) attract some of the best in those sports, and there are Brits playing abroad in most of those.

Why do UK/EU people pay for an H1 or L1 visa to work in the USA?
Because America is seen to be where the big money is.

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
There is a UK sports visitor visa /6 months for sporting events. I presume it doesn't count as work even if they get prize money.
If they are competing for prize money or for pay, it's work. They'll need a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa valid for up to 3 years (and renewable for another 3).

Not sure which visa is only valid for 6 months though. Possibly the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and sporting) visa which is valid for up to 12 months.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jul 25th 2017 at 3:31 am.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
What, no fruit picking jobs !
You mean we allow you in for three months max and you will work 15 hours a day , seven days a week for minimum pay. After that we will kick you out? As long as you return after three months that can be arranged for. Welcome to a true Brexiteers world where every useless country and person will be disarded of at the right time and in a strict manner. After all where would we end if every ordinary person could just retire in Spain!! That is a treat only for the university educated elite 😋

Last edited by Assanah; Jul 25th 2017 at 5:56 am.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Is that the 2014 that was two years before the referendum vote?

Is that the IMF that remainers ignore when they said that Sterling was up to 20% over-valued prior to the referendum?

It shows that each economy has annual ups and downs and that they are all broadly similar - try adding the euro-area - here:

GDP growth (annual %) | Data

The idea that the UK's economy has been or will be "useless" is the usual extreme-remainer hyperbole.
No, defining other countries and their economies as well as hard working people as useless is a Brexiteers world view. What was said about the EU in comparison to the strong growth of developing countries? What was said about the hard working but low skilled Europeans in the UK by Brexiteers? Maybe it is time the world mirrors this view back?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:46 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
After Brexit, those foreign fish will need visas. No more freeloading off our coasts.
We only eat cod, haddock and place, none of those looking things foreigners eat..
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

He speaks much more eloquently than I.

Now some prat here keeps going on about my not living in the UK, although as I explained I have two businesses there and pay my taxes, unlike many of the multinationals who dodge taxes thanks to the corrupt EU. Soon it will be necessary to move.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:14 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgYGEROAAms

Now some prat here keeps going on about my not living in the UK, although as I explained I have two businesses there and pay my taxes, unlike many of the multinationals who dodge taxes thanks to the corrupt EU. Soon it will be necessary to move.
Using the word prat and Farage in the same post is the most accurate I think I have read of yours..
You do not live in the UK , is it something that bothers you.?.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:11 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

He does.

"Brexit was fundamentally about immigration..."

So rare for a Brexiteer to speak the truth, finally.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Perhaps because the UK is seen as the best place to be in many sports.

Premier League football, Pro12, Aviva Premiership (both rugby union) and Super League (rugby league) attract some of the best in those sports, and there are Brits playing abroad in most of those.

If they are competing for prize money or for pay, it's work. They'll need a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa valid for up to 3 years (and renewable for another 3).

Not sure which visa is only valid for 6 months though. Possibly the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and sporting) visa which is valid for up to 12 months.

The government link regarding short term visa I found, only gives details when you go through the application process. Didn't look further. Below is from a solicitors website, (based in Wimbledon!)

Apparently the 6 months sports visitors visa covers amateur and 'events defined by UK Border Agency' and includes the accompanying managers etc.
I presume it is taken into account that the majority in the 'events' may not win anything!

Sports Visitors Visa UK - Sunrise Solicitors
Old Jul 25th 2017, 11:19 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post
He does.
He's also a complete twat.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I promised myself I'd stop posting the moment a Brexiter said something either true or at least plausible.

I'm still stuck here
Um…we’re leaving the EU? Bye, Eric…
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:57 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Um…we’re leaving the EU? Bye, Eric…
Nah, too ambiguous.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 4:03 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
He's also a complete twat.

With currently more than 86,000 NHS posts vacant, European nurses/doctors returning home in droves and a 96% drop this year in EU medics registering to work in the UK, just one ramification of which is the poor sod left lying on a trolley for hours on end in the corridor. If it has to be anyone, you only hope it's an anti-immigrant Brexiteer [email protected] like him, because this is what he wanted.

Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post

With currently more than 86,000 NHS posts vacant, European nurses/doctors returning home in droves and a 96% drop this year in EU medics registering to work in the UK, just one ramification of which is the poor sod left lying on a trolley for hours on end in the corridor. If it has to be anyone, you only hope it's an anti-immigrant Brexiteer [email protected] like him, because this is what he wanted.

This has been discussed a length before. The majority of foreign trained doctors and nurses in the UK are from non-EU countries.
Those from the EU would have no difficulty in remaining in the UK post Brexit. Will those returning be immediately able to get work?

It's understandable why there are less Drs from EU countries registering while the Brexit negotiations are going on, however this might be a temporary situation.
There are less UK young people applying for medical schools this year so it may be more an NHS reason rather than a Brexit reason.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:20 pm
EMR
Banned

This has been discussed a length before. The majority of foreign trained doctors and nurses in the UK are from non-EU countries.
Those from the EU would have no difficulty in remaining in the UK post Brexit. Will those returning be immediately able to get work?

It's understandable why there are less Drs from EU countries registering while the Brexit negotiations are going on, however this might be a temporary situation.
There are less UK young people applying for medical schools this year so it may be more an NHS reason rather than a Brexit reason.
It has obviously not occurred to you to ask why there are fewer applicants from all not just EU and UK sources.
The issue is with the management of the NHS, the salaries, working conditions etc.
The fall in sterling means that non UK employees will have less to repatriate to their home countries just one factor.
Is the tightening of rules regarding qualifications, language another factor.
Reading the UK tabloids on line and seeing how unwelcome immigrants are in the UK could also be a reason.

Your brexit birds are coming home to roost.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 5:31 pm
EU hoo

it may be more an NHS reason rather than a Brexit reason.
Bipat, I do accept there are other non-Brexit reasons i.e pay caps, underfunding, bursaries etc. But only the naive, or seriously blinkered, would insist that the Brexit 'effect' is playing no part in current NHS understaffing problems.

Anyway, my point was solely addressing the anti-immigration message in the posted video; the claim that 'Brexit was fundamentally about immigration'...well, to paraphrase once again.....the chickens are only just starting to (go) home to roost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.