British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Cape Blue Jul 21st 2017 9:18 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12299238)
I was unaware he figure was tens of millions, but certainly rather bizarre considering the problems he working class is suffering in the UK and the USA for that matter to keep importing so many until the economy adjusts- and let alone issue of integration. Except for highly skilled immigrants, I would think halting most immigration for 10 or 15 years might help in the integration process of those already here. Let alone issue of social services like the NHS having sufficient funding for existing population let alone steady further increases.

My point was exactly that, many trade agreements even if they have benefitted a country overall, left many sectors worse off. But if Brexit is not addressing key concerns of some of those who voted for it, then what is the point ? Maybe the Uk will end up with its own version of Trump.

It's the pool of workers who could take a job in the UK - the reserve pool of labour - that is tens of millions.

Brexit should address they key concerns of the majority of the UK electorate that voted for it, providing it is not captured by remainers.

We should have a net-zero immigration target for an initial 5 years.

AllanB Jul 21st 2017 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12299616)
That's Bender, you daft plank :rolleyes:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/c8/c8105...d50741c8c4.jpg

You know all about a bender..and I am the daft plank?

Think you may have the wrong way around, you are watching too many kiddies programs.

Cape Blue Jul 21st 2017 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12299267)
Off shoring, nothing to do with the EU, why have some EU nations not sufferèd the samecdecline in manufacturing as the UK..

In my small part of the economy, low cost imports have taken 50% of the market devastating UK manufacturing, no significant UK owned companies left.
In fact but for Swedish, Dutch and French investment we would have little if anything left.
It is a very different picture in the Eurozone where low cost imports have made little impact. Why ?
The decline in well paid working class jobs is down to UK government's management of the economy, not the EU.
Trade deals which open the UK to further low cost manufacturing will only make things worse for the " working class ".

Did I say that offshoring had anything to do with the EU?

Your posts seem very random and mostly don't relate to what I've written.

Cape Blue Jul 21st 2017 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12299331)
Where do you read that it's 'not required'?

If membership of an organisation means following the rules, can one unilaterally decide that one rule is 'not required'?

I am saying that it is not technically required for a single market and the decision to insist upon it is an EU political one.

Cape Blue Jul 21st 2017 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12299609)
Our democratically-elected representatives, the UK Prime Minister and MPs at the time, took us into the EEC.

Agreed, and a democratic referendum and democratic vote of MPs will be taking us out.

A successor PM only decided to hold the EU referendum to appease a small faction of his party's MPs, and Parliament made the rules of the referendum to be non-binding and advisory.
Yes, I realise that many hate the idea of democracy, especially if they are on the losing side of a vote.

The first problem came when the winners of the referendum vote didn't accept that it was advisory and non-binding, the second when the government tried avoiding Parliament's right to debate the referendum result. Were Leavers worried that Parliament would decide the vote shouldn't be acted upon?
Of course they were, MPs were predominantly remainers and the powerful elite will exert their influence on them to find a back-door way to avoid the democratic mandate of the people.

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2017 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by AllanB (Post 12299666)
You know all about a bender..and I am the daft plank?

Think you may have the wrong way around, you are watching too many kiddies programs.

I think you should probably lay off the cooking sherry :blink:

AllanB Jul 21st 2017 9:38 pm

I have an apology to make, I shouldn't be here, taking apart in this. Call me slow, more disbelief, but I have just noticed, this is page 1,350! WTF are you guys doing here all this time, with this nonsense, you guys are crazy.

Listen you Brexiteers, please leave this thread at once for your own sanity, you are wasting your time. If you aren't getting through to these people after 1,350 pages it is never going to happen. Just let those nice young men in their clean white coats take them away, I've hear Albania is nice this time of the year.

I am stunned.

amideislas Jul 22nd 2017 12:30 am

Originally Posted by AllanB (Post 12299674)

I am stunned.

I reckon that explains it.

No worries, just click your heels 3 times and repeat "there's no place like home".

Red Eric Jul 22nd 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by AllanB (Post 12299567)
We all know WTO rules are best for us anyway, rejoin EFTA (which still exists) and offer the V4, Greece, Ireland and Italy free membership and a set beer mugs, that make eight counties just for starters.

Originally Posted by AllanB (Post 12299608)
Think of this new trading block "New EFTA" here is the line up.

The Magnificent 7

1. UK, bringing all our old chums from the Commonwealth, so, already bigger than the EU' as trading block.
2/3/4 The V4 they can dump all those useless migrants, to where they want to go anyway Merkle's magic DDR.
5. Switzerland, they are an existing member, doing very nicely, show us the ropes.
6. Iceland, they can show us how to sort the banks out when they go bust and how to get the poachers out of our fishing waters.
7. Italy, white goods for everyone. Alfa Romeos and Vespas.
1b. Ireland, keep the border open, a sidecar can't go very far without the motorbike anyway.

Little Liechtenstein, well they can launder the money and handle the bankruptcy, when Greece revert to the drachma.

And no fees to pay.......Who wouldn't want that?

Who wouldn't want that? Oh, that's easy - all of them bar the UK :)

I can see you're being tongue-in-cheek here (well I think I can, anyway) but I suspect that there's a grain of seriousness about it. I reckon you think the V4 and Greece ought to be pushovers for leaving, don't you? If so, I think you couldn't be further from the truth.

I also think you are revealing Brexiter Loneliness Syndrome. You badly need some confirmation that the UK did the right thing in the form of other countries heading for the exit but it's not happening.

EMR Jul 22nd 2017 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12299668)
Did I say that offshoring had anything to do with the EU?

Your posts seem very random and mostly don't relate to what I've written.

Your posts do not relate to anyone Who claims to be a remainer..

Red Eric Jul 22nd 2017 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12299670)
Of course they were, MPs were predominantly remainers and the powerful elite will exert their influence on them to find a back-door way to avoid the democratic mandate of the people.

There isn't a powerful elite, totally dedicated to keeping the UK in the EU. There are plenty of people with money and power who want the opposite.

Continually trying to portray Brexit as the will of ordinary people against the elites is plain silly.

EMR Jul 22nd 2017 7:57 am

Yet another of the real world, the one btrexitrs seem to constantly ignore.

The skills and Labour shortage in the UK is a matter of fact and the threat to free movement is already starting to have an impact.
In my part of the SW companies could not continue to grow without access to EU migrants.

One such was featured yesterday " Marshfields " a manufacturer of biscuits, cakes Tec.

They joined a job fair in the local job centre ,offering emlloyment opportunities to the local unemployed.
After a full day they had 1, just 1 applicant .

There is no huge " Labour pool " of unemployed Brits queuing up to take on the jobs that EU workers currently do.
Those who talk about zero net migration ,ending free movement, etc ,are living on another planet if not universe.
The government has finally recognised this, its time many brexiters did.

DaveLovesDee Jul 22nd 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12299744)
No worries, just click your heels 3 times and repeat "there's no place like home".

Even if 'home' is anywhere except where you were born.......

iano Jul 22nd 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12299669)
I am saying that it is not technically required for a single market and the decision to insist upon it is an EU political one.

Erecting a barrier within a single market means it's no longer a single market.

The 4 freedoms are fundamental to the working of the single market and have been for 60 years, there's no 'opt-out' available.

The EU is moving on apace, the Europe 2020 strategy for boosting growth and employment is currently their focus not Brexit. My impression is they just want to get rid now.

You'd be better off encouraging Dr Fox to crack on with his preps for a FTA with the Philippines. How did his sample case of Branston's Pickle go down over there ? :rofl:

EMR Jul 22nd 2017 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12299663)
It's the pool of workers who could take a job in the UK - the reserve pool of labour - that is tens of millions.

Brexit should address they key concerns of the majority of the UK electorate that voted for it, providing it is not captured by remainers.

We should have a net-zero immigration target for an initial 5 years.

You should read the article in the New Statesman regarding a yougov poll on " Free movement "
69% including 60% of those who voted remain want equal rights to live, work and travel extended to EU citizens so that Brits can also live ,work and travel without restriction in the EU.