Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:53 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
I haven't changed my mind either, I think I would be better off if the UK remained, but that isn't what an extreme remainer is - they are the ones that cannot see one single positive out of Brexit and are entirely unable to take a balanced look at what is happening and what might happen. They are just as nuts as the swivel-eyed-loons of the extreme UKIP bunch.

The Sterling issue is a prime example - the softening of sterling is hung up as a "slump" and a disaster for the UK, yet looking at a 10-years graph against the USD or euro to put it in perspective, or looking at the IMF analysis on the strength of sterling before the referendum is beyond them Of course a weaker £ will increase inflation through increased costs of imported goods, but do you think the IMF didn't realise that?

The £ is at the same rate to the euro as it was during parts of 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 - yet the extreme remainers are wailing about how we are all starving to death due to the increased costs of European foods.
XE: GBP / EUR Currency Chart. British Pound to Euro Rates

The inability to put things into perspective and take an adult view instead of whining like a petulant child is the hallmark of the extremer - whether remainer or Brexiter.

I bet when you used to laugh at the extreme Brexit goons you never thought you'd come to emulate them so closely.
I agree that the drop in the value of sterling has been over-egged by some.

However I am unable to see one single positive out of Brexit.

Does that make me an 'extreme remainer'?
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:57 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
The electorate voted 80+% for two parties, both of whom are hard-brexit (non-free-movement of labour) parties.
I know both May and those who voted in favour of leaving are keen on trying to push this idea but the approach of the two is completely different.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Can we just remember that it was 51.8 % OF THOSE WHO VOTED voted for Brexit

That was a turnout of slightly less than 70% of the the available pool of the voting public.

To bundle together the different parties to get a figure of 80% is complete nonsense
Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:16 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I know both May and those who voted in favour of leaving are keen on trying to push this idea but the approach of the two is completely different.
And I think loads of people voted Labour because of their manifesto, NOT because of Brexit.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:18 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
I agree that the drop in the value of sterling has been over-egged by some.

However I am unable to see one single positive out of Brexit.

Does that make me an 'extreme remainer'?
It's a tough one, this seeing positives, isnt it?

On the one hand, you've got the massed ranks of the Eurosceptic cheerleaders, the politicians and the press alike, telling us to cheer up, it'll all be alright in the end, everything always is.

On the other, you've got the time ticking away and all reports from the front saying there's no agreement as yet on the UK side as to what approach to take to the crucial exit negotiations and warning that the complexity of the task appears not to have been fully appreciated as yet.

Who to believe? I suppose, in order to avoid being called names and stuff, it'd be easier all round if everybody decamped to the first group and we all oscillated between being wildly cheerful and sticking our fingers up and shouting insults at our former partners.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I think concerns should head more in the direction of the UK's enormous debt situation .
1.7 trillion pounds to be precise. 386 billion pounds of which is in index linked gilts. These move automatically with inflation. The bank of England holds another 371 billion pounds through it's quantitive easing (printing money) programme.also highly sensitive to changes in interest rates
As the UK has gone through years of growth -set against austerity .The government should be reducing that debt considerable whilst it can
If interest rates rise,plus higher inflation.the combined effects of a costly Brexit and a coming recession could be the nail in the coffin..not just worries of Brexit alone
Old Jul 16th 2017, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
Stop shouting !!!!
If you just google it, you will find a whole page dedicated to it !!!

Brexit Lies

And otherwise, start reading this thread from the beginning, it's all in there and it is a bit stupid to start all over again !!!
No! I asked a simple question....you are the people accusing us Brexiteers of lying, so you should know what those lies are. It should be simple to just list them, as I have done with the lies from the remain side.

This is just like your whole case, a big load of nothing and now this stupid chocolate orange story you got from some nothing civil servant.

Don't you all feel ashamed being a bunch of Surrender Monkeys, bad-mouthing your country? "We are all going to die".......cluck, cluck cluck...
Old Jul 16th 2017, 9:43 am
Who - me?

Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
No! I asked a simple question....you are the people accusing us Brexiteers of lying, so you should know what those lies are. It should be simple to just list them, as I have done with the lies from the remain side.
It's easier to do it the other way round :

List of Truths told by Brexiters :-
  1. .

End List
Old Jul 16th 2017, 9:51 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

This is just like your whole case, a big load of nothing and now this stupid chocolate orange story you got from some nothing civil servant.

Don't you all feel ashamed being a bunch of Surrender Monkeys, bad-mouthing your country? "We are all going to die".......cluck, cluck cluck...
Evidence if you need it why our country is so divided on Brexit.
No one would have expected brexiters to change their views had the vote been 52,48 in favour of staying.
No one would accused them of being swivel eyed loons, or anti Brits,rabid left wingers, or not patriots because they continued to campaign for the UK to leave.
We had over 30 years of those who genuinely believed that the UK would be better off outside of the EU.
Their views were discussed, debated at length almost daily for decades.
Ultra brexiters have got to accept that the same freedom that was extended to those campaigning to leave should also be extended to those who genuinely believe that leaving the EU will be damaging for the UK its economy and the prosperity of its people.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 10:43 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
It's a tough one, this seeing positives, isnt it?
It appears quite a few on here are unable to see even one single positive out of Brexit, myself included. Perhaps we could do with some help in seeing the light, but is it ever forthcoming ?

I've been asking for months, nay years, for Brexiteers to highlight the positives, or their vision, their plan for Brexit. Nothing.

We are currently able to trade with the world anyway, so 'Global Britain' doesn't really cut it unless you really are that hung up on winning your very own trade 'deals' after voluntarily binning superior EU versions.

Imported food might turn out to be cheaper but at the expense of the rural economy, so a bit of a win-lose there. Other than that ?

Think we need some help in seeing the positives, over to you once again, Brexiteers.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 11:04 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

If we ditch import duties on foods and start to import more from the non-EU world, it will need to be transported long distance by air or sea - just as we are being told we should be eating/buying local. So the environment will obviously be taking a hit.

Sovereignty - we will be regaining our sovereignty. That's a positive isn't it?
Old Jul 16th 2017, 11:29 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Sovereignty - we will be regaining our sovereignty. That's a positive isn't it?
Didn't the Government state in the Brexit white paper that Parliament had remained sovereign throughout its time in the EU, but it just didn't feel like that ?

Well now it does, the notion of sovereignty is regained and therefore a positive.

Old Jul 16th 2017, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Evidence if you need it why our country is so divided on Brexit.
No one would have expected brexiters to change their views had the vote been 52,48 in favour of staying.
No one would accused them of being swivel eyed loons, or anti Brits,rabid left wingers, or not patriots because they continued to campaign for the UK to leave.
We had over 30 years of those who genuinely believed that the UK would be better off outside of the EU.
Their views were discussed, debated at length almost daily for decades.
Ultra brexiters have got to accept that the same freedom that was extended to those campaigning to leave should also be extended to those who genuinely believe that leaving the EU will be damaging for the UK its economy and the prosperity of its people.
Not at all, it is only to be expected that with all this scaremonger from the remaoners and MSM that someone would change their mind, but now that the truth is emerging. that the UK isn't going down the toilet, most are now showing true patriotism and supporting Brexit. They can also see how the EU is destroying European countries, they can see what a den of corruption it is and they can see that the likes of the V4 are fighting against it.

Sure their were discussions over many decades about the issues of the EU, how it was a creeping cancer, but it was only recently that there was a proper referendum.

This referendum, had almost the entire MSM against Brexit, most of the politicians too, including all the main party political leaders and the very vocal multinational companies, who kept threatening us, yet despite all this clout, the people voted Brexit.

Had we had an even handed campaign my guess is that it would have been 80% in favour of Brexit.

Can't you understand we are leaving and that being the case you should support your country?

Can't you see we are leaving Fortress Europe and joining the free world, we are free to meet the new challenges this big wide world has to offer and we are capable of making our mark there?

This so called "Soft Brexit" means no Brexit at all and we are leaving. So stop this stupid denial and plan for a future outside the sheep pen.

You and I know both know why I can't get an answer to my question, there isn't one.

We do have a fight on our hands with these bloody gravy train, salary protecting bureaucrats, don't join the enemy.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post
It appears quite a few on here are unable to see even one single positive out of Brexit, myself included. Perhaps we could do with some help in seeing the light, but is it ever forthcoming ?

I've been asking for months, nay years, for Brexiteers to highlight the positives, or their vision, their plan for Brexit. Nothing.

We are currently able to trade with the world anyway, so 'Global Britain' doesn't really cut it unless you really are that hung up on winning your very own trade 'deals' after voluntarily binning superior EU versions.

Imported food might turn out to be cheaper but at the expense of the rural economy, so a bit of a win-lose there. Other than that ?

Think we need some help in seeing the positives, over to you once again, Brexiteers.
The UK can only trade with the rest of the world on terms set by the EU. As a member of their Customs Union we have to apply their import tariffs. After Brexit that requirement disappears enabling the UK to enter into genuine free trade agreements with other countries.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 11:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all, it is only to be expected that with all this scaremonger from the remaoners and MSM that someone would change their mind, but now that the truth is emerging. that the UK isn't going down the toilet, most are now showing true patriotism and supporting Brexit. They can also see how the EU is destroying European countries, they can see what a den of corruption it is and they can see that the likes of the V4 are fighting against it.

Sure their were discussions over many decades about the issues of the EU, how it was a creeping cancer, but it was only recently that there was a proper referendum.

This referendum, had almost the entire MSM against Brexit, most of the politicians too, including all the main party political leaders and the very vocal multinational companies, who kept threatening us, yet despite all this clout, the people voted Brexit.

Had we had an even handed campaign my guess is that it would have been 80% in favour of Brexit.

Can't you understand we are leaving and that being the case you should support your country?

Can't you see we are leaving Fortress Europe and joining the free world, we are free to meet the new challenges this big wide world has to offer and we are capable of making our mark there?

This so called "Soft Brexit" means no Brexit at all and we are leaving. So stop this stupid denial and plan for a future outside the sheep pen.

You and I know both know why I can't get an answer to my question, there isn't one.

We do have a fight on our hands with these bloody gravy train, salary protecting bureaucrats, don't join the enemy.
The facts are simple there is very little in your post that is accurate or that you could provide any evidence to support.
You obviously did not read the bulk of the UK press only 3 newspapers not the popular high circulation tabloids were in favour of remaining or took a neutral stance,
All the popular papers were pro brexit and have been for years ranging from reasonably well argued to rabid nonsense.
We are all still waiting for our government come up with a post brexit plan .

Last edited by EMR; Jul 16th 2017 at 12:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.