Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 15th 2017, 4:36 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
As one who dios not live in your ratified world of premium prices I can now understand why you are so out of touch with reality.

You should come down to the west country you will not find many farmers living the high life.
Farmers who are dreading the removal off the protection they currently enjoy from cheap imports from outside of the EU.
I think the delightful M&S ham comes from somewhere west.

Of course they are dreading it - If I'd been getting free money for the past 40-odd years and would now have to compete and earn my loaf I'd be scared as well. Not sure why a metal worker in Wolverhampton or distribution center worker in Tynseside should pay extra tax to burnish a farmers Range Rover.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 4:44 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post

Of course they are dreading it - If I'd been getting free money for the past 40-odd years and would now have to compete and earn my loaf I'd be scared as well. Not sure why a metal worker in Wolverhampton or distribution center worker in Tynseside should pay extra tax to burnish a farmers Range Rover.
Ask those you obviously have little contact with if they would want the support removed from farmers, for their food prices to increase.
To be reliant on the whims of the US and other overseas nations for their daily bread.
Bread, you know the simple basic loaf not your local artisan multi grain product.
Nice to see you thinking of the unskilled , a good chance he is an unskilled EU immigrant worker for once.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 4:50 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

It's good that you corrected yourself.
Thanks. The precise reporting of facts would always be important to a pedant who hasn't got a leg to stand on, Cape'n, arrr. Understand
Old Jul 15th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Because food is not like any commodity. You need it to survive. That is why tariffs on agricultural goods are general extremely high. Countries want to be able to feed themselves if necessary.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 5:22 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Because food is not like any commodity. You need it to survive. That is why tariffs on agricultural goods are general extremely high. Countries want to be able to feed themselves if necessary.
The country applying the tariff is the importing one? If they want to feed themselves they can buy cheap food from places where it is cheaper to grow if they remove tariffs.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 5:24 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
British government's forgot that once, relying on cheap imports and the country nearly starved twice as a result.
Agriculture is a strategic asset not just lines on a balance sheet.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 7:48 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post
Trouble is with you, Cape'n, as an erstwhile Remainer yourself, you occasionally forget which hat you're currently wearing.
You know what they say about converts being the worst zealots Can't see why he needs to go round saying that any remainer who hasn't changed his mind since referendum day is an extremist. That's what I call loony - especially since the current shower have done nothing at all to inspire any confidence. All they've done is to show what a pathetic grasp they have of the possibilities and how to approach the negotiations and how quick they can fold in the face of confrontation. Still, at least the election result's put the cat amongst the pigeons and got them all saying different things, just as they were before, so that's OK. A lot of things are still possible, especially once May's been replaced.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 9:01 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
You know what they say about converts being the worst zealots Can't see why he needs to go round saying that any remainer who hasn't changed his mind since referendum day is an extremist. That's what I call loony...
Agree, the volte-faced one describing certain Remainers as 'swivel-eyed loons' akin to followers of UKIP is very odd.

Having irrational, indefensible prejudices is most definitely not a Remain characteristic.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:12 pm
Democracy advocate

You know what they say about converts being the worst zealots Can't see why he needs to go round saying that any remainer who hasn't changed his mind since referendum day is an extremist. That's what I call loony - especially since the current shower have done nothing at all to inspire any confidence. All they've done is to show what a pathetic grasp they have of the possibilities and how to approach the negotiations and how quick they can fold in the face of confrontation. Still, at least the election result's put the cat amongst the pigeons and got them all saying different things, just as they were before, so that's OK. A lot of things are still possible, especially once May's been replaced.
I haven't changed my mind either, I think I would be better off if the UK remained, but that isn't what an extreme remainer is - they are the ones that cannot see one single positive out of Brexit and are entirely unable to take a balanced look at what is happening and what might happen. They are just as nuts as the swivel-eyed-loons of the extreme UKIP bunch.

The Sterling issue is a prime example - the softening of sterling is hung up as a "slump" and a disaster for the UK, yet looking at a 10-years graph against the USD or euro to put it in perspective, or looking at the IMF analysis on the strength of sterling before the referendum is beyond them Of course a weaker £ will increase inflation through increased costs of imported goods, but do you think the IMF didn't realise that?

The £ is at the same rate to the euro as it was during parts of 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 - yet the extreme remainers are wailing about how we are all starving to death due to the increased costs of European foods.
XE: GBP / EUR Currency Chart. British Pound to Euro Rates

The inability to put things into perspective and take an adult view instead of whining like a petulant child is the hallmark of the extremer - whether remainer or Brexiter.

I bet when you used to laugh at the extreme Brexit goons you never thought you'd come to emulate them so closely.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:46 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You talking to me

The only time I recall even mentioning exchange rates at all in the past year was when I suggested to another poster that he had developed something of an obsession about them.

Similarly, I don't recall moaning, whingeing, whining or saying anything remotely extreme.

All do is occasionally challenge the accuracy of some of what is said particularly by the troll faction, when I'm frequently being ironic in what I say (although I gather that can be missed ). I rarely even give an opinion of my own.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:53 pm
Democracy advocate

You talking to me

The only time I recall even mentioning exchange rates at all in the past year was when I suggested to another poster that he had developed something of an obsession about them.

Similarly, I don't recall moaning, whingeing, whining or saying anything remotely extreme.

All do is occasionally challenge the accuracy of some of what is said particularly by the troll faction, when I'm frequently being ironic in what I say (although I gather that can be missed ). I rarely even give an opinion of my own.
It was a royal you.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 12:01 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't changed my mind either, I think I would be better off if the UK remained, but that isn't what an extreme remainer is - they are the ones that cannot see one single positive out of Brexit and are entirely unable to take a balanced look at what is happening and what might happen. They are just as nuts as the swivel-eyed-loons of the extreme UKIP bunch.
What are these alleged positives from Brexit?

We lose free trade agreements with 50+ countries. These will take time to replace.
A large chunk of UK law has to be rewritten, giving uncertainty for thousands of UK businesses and millions of UK workers.

The referendum was advisory and non-binding, and the result should have been fully-debated in Parliament afterwards, without requiring anyone to have taken the government to court.

The Sterling issue is a prime example - the softening of sterling is hung up as a "slump" and a disaster for the UK, yet looking at a 10-years graph against the USD or euro to put it in perspective, or looking at the IMF analysis on the strength of sterling before the referendum is beyond them Of course a weaker £ will increase inflation through increased costs of imported goods, but do you think the IMF didn't realise that?
So increasing inflation is a good thing, is it? What about the poor sods who haven't had payrises at the same rate as inflation, or those on low-incomes who have a choice of having heat or food.

Yet MPs seem to get better than inflation raises, and there's always money for tax cuts for the rich.

The £ is at the same rate to the euro as it was during parts of 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 - yet the extreme remainers are wailing about how we are all starving to death due to the increased costs of European foods.
XE: GBP / EUR Currency Chart. British Pound to Euro Rates

The inability to put things into perspective and take an adult view instead of whining like a petulant child is the hallmark of the extremer - whether remainer or Brexiter.
Just because our perspective isn't the same as yours, it doesn't mean we're acting like a petulant child. Consider this, most adults have 2 eyes. If you close one eye, then open it and close the other, you get 2 different perspectives. But it's better with both eyes open, which merges both perspectives into a 3rd one.

I bet when you used to laugh at the extreme Brexit goons you never thought you'd come to emulate them so closely.
Just because you say we do, doesn't make it a fact.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 12:16 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

The slide of the pound (by all credible accounts, directly attributable to the referendum result) isn't the Brexit effect itself, but only one indicator of the many consequences. Claiming the pound to be the definitive consequence is to grossly understate the plethora of negatives that will be suffered as a result. And most dismaying, to what end? Ideological satisfaction?

The irrefutable facts clearly show that there is no upside,
and so many identifiable downsides, plus those unpredictable side effects, that it's virtually impossible to credibly assert that it's all "gonna be great". Most know this now, even the most dogmatic brexiteers, who've become even more desperate to justify their arguments, even if they have to stretch it far beyond the rational.

And that's why when people make such ridiculous claims, it sounds suspiciously like some kind of Trump-esque fake news machine, which naturally, will be instantly scrutinised. But I reckon it wouldn't be much fun for you if you didn't receive any attention. At least you get that out of it.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Just because you say we do, doesn't make it a fact.
That should work both ways
Old Jul 16th 2017, 7:43 am
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
That should work both ways

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.