Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 14th 2017, 5:00 pm
  #19696  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Yes, I personally do believe if they had not become British citizens they should not have a vote. However where they were born should not matter.
So you do agree that many tens thousands who were able to vote should not have been allowed one.
Where they were born obviously did matter in this case as EU citizens were excluded.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 5:14 pm
  #19697  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,359
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
So you do agree that many tens thousands who were able to vote should not have been allowed one.
Where they were born obviously did matter in this case as EU citizens were excluded.
Yes they should have been excluded if they were not British citizens (most Commonwealth migrants have become British citizens) and it is not reciprocated.
It is an anomaly.

I meant where a British citizen is born should not matter.
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 5:37 pm
  #19698  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Yes they should have been excluded if they were not British citizens (most Commonwealth migrants have become British citizens) and it is not reciprocated.
It is an anomaly.

I meant where a British citizen is born should not matter.
Involvement, in commitment and contribution to the future of the UK should.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 6:02 pm
  #19699  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,359
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Involvement, in commitment and contribution to the future of the UK should.
That could apply to anyone from anywhere in the world working in the UK, regardless of whether from an EU country or a Commonwealth country.

How would you assess a particular individual's involvement, commitment and contribution if they had not become a UK citizen?
Length of time living there? Amount paid in taxes? An exam? It would be too complicated!
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 6:22 pm
  #19700  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Where they were born obviously did matter in this case as EU citizens were excluded.
I think this exemplifies a key force behind Brexit. Brits (even remainers) have never really seen themselves as "EU citizens". You know, those "Europeans"... over there... across the channel... Us vs. them.

And for that reason alone, Britain shouldn't be in that club, because satisfaction and success within it requires some basic sense of belonging to it, rather than just tagging along for the benefits.

But you know, you never appreciate what you had until it's gone.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 6:23 pm
  #19701  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
That could apply to anyone from anywhere in the world working in the UK, regardless of whether from an EU country or a Commonwealth country.

How would you assess a particular individual's involvement, commitment and contribution if they had not become a UK citizen?
Length of time living there? Amount paid in taxes? An exam? It would be too complicated!
Non EU citizens, commonwealth citizens future status in the EU is not being affected by the referendum vote yet tens thousands of commonwealth citizens were allowed to vote.
But EU citizens excluded.
It not complicated at all.
How would you feel if there was a vote to alter the status of all those in the UK from the Commonwealth who have been here for years but are not UK citizens.

Much simpler as you suggest, NO immigrants should be allowed a vote or as I believe All immigrants should be allowed a vote , subject to certain conditions.

Last edited by EMR; Jul 14th 2017 at 6:26 pm.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:03 pm
  #19702  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,359
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Non EU citizens, commonwealth citizens future status in the EU is not being affected by the referendum vote yet tens thousands of commonwealth citizens were allowed to vote.
But EU citizens excluded.
It not complicated at all.
How would you feel if there was a vote to alter the status of all those in the UK from the Commonwealth who have been here for years but are not UK citizens.

Much simpler as you suggest, NO immigrants should be allowed a vote or as I believe All immigrants should be allowed a vote , subject to certain conditions.
EMR--I promised myself I would not answer your posts ---I have failed.
You NEVER read posts.

I stated above I disagreed with Commonwealth citizens having the vote if they had NOT become British citizens. (That is a minority in fact).

I believe only British citizens should have a vote. (That includes obviously all migrants who have become British citizens).
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:07 pm
  #19703  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
EMR--I promised myself I would not answer your posts ---I have failed.
You NEVER read posts.

I stated above I disagreed with Commonwealth citizens having the vote if they had NOT become British citizens. (That is a minority in fact).

I believe only British citizens should have a vote. (That includes obviously all migrants who have become British citizens).

Over 1million commonwealth citizens are entitled to vote in UK elections.
Just Google it.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:08 pm
  #19704  
So long...
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,977
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
That could apply to anyone from anywhere in the world working in the UK, regardless of whether from an EU country or a Commonwealth country.

How would you assess a particular individual's involvement, commitment and contribution if they had not become a UK citizen?
Length of time living there? Amount paid in taxes? An exam? It would be too complicated!
My wife's Canadian, lives and works and pays taxes in the UK, but won't be paying over £1200 just to tick a box.
DaveLovesDee is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:21 pm
  #19705  
Who - me?
 
Red Eric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Arcos de Valdevez "Onde Portugal se fez"
Posts: 13,024
Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
My wife's Canadian, lives and works and pays taxes in the UK, but won't be paying over £1200 just to tick a box.
Quite.

It shouldn't have anything at all to do with spurious notions of "commitment" or "integration" which can only be satisfied by acquiring citizenship. There are reasons why people who have a permanent right to reside may not wish to do that.

In my opinon anybody who has the right to reside and is actually doing so should be able to vote, regardless of citizenship.
Red Eric is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:22 pm
  #19706  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,359
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Over 1million commonwealth citizens are entitled to vote in UK elections.
Just Google it.
I know that!! Yes it is wrong---it is not reciprocal!.
Do you think it would have made any difference to the referendum result?

(The majority of non-EU immigrants who have migrated over the last 70 or so years became British citizens.).
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:26 pm
  #19707  
EMR
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 26,724
EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I know that!! Yes it is wrong---it is not reciprocal!.
Do you think it would have made any difference to the referendum result?

(The majority of non-EU immigrants who have migrated over the last 70 or so years became British citizens.).
I do not know if it would have made any difference but I believe that we are a better nation than that which allowed over a million non citizens a vote but denied just as many just because they came from any one of 27 other countries.
We are or should be better than that.

Last edited by EMR; Jul 14th 2017 at 7:31 pm.
EMR is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:36 pm
  #19708  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,359
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Quite.

It shouldn't have anything at all to do with spurious notions of "commitment" or "integration" which can only be satisfied by acquiring citizenship. There are reasons why people who have a permanent right to reside may not wish to do that.

In my opinon anybody who has the right to reside and is actually doing so should be able to vote, regardless of citizenship.
That would include students from anywhere in the world ---Russian oligarchs etc.
Why--when we don't have reciprocal rights in other countries?
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:38 pm
  #19709  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,359
Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I do not know if it would have made any difference but I believe that we are a better nation than that which allowed over a million non citizens a vote but denied just as many just because they came from any one of 27 other countries.
We are or should be better than that.
What about the other countries of the world represented in the UK? China, Russia, USA? Why just those from an extra 27?
Bipat is offline  
Old Jul 14th 2017, 7:39 pm
  #19710  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 191
Golden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Years has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I am still waiting for a brexiter to explain why global commodity prices which are usually priced in dollars and whose impact on the UK due to the fall in sterling is due to EU membership.
Prices increases that will magically disappear when ,if, we finally leave the EU.
There is an interesting article by Ryan Bourne in today's Telegraph that explains how much lower food prices will become after Brexit. He suggests up to 15% savings from current price levels.
Golden Years is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.