Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Ahh yes, that good old British superiority in all things.

...despite all evidence to the contrary.

OK, well, enjoy your superiority. But please, when it doesn't work out, don't blame everybody else.
I didn't say we were/are superior, I said we were capable...and there is a lot of evidence to support that.

Amideislas, are you East German by any chance, Chinese perhaps? You seem to have this anti British attitude, maybe just one of life's failures?

Never mind eh!
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:12 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I wasn't referring to that, I was referring to the fact that the U.S. ALREADY IS like the EU (or should it be that the EU is following in the U.S's footsteps).

I think that's the reason why the EU is sometimes disparagingly referred to as 'the United States of Europe'!
...feared mostly by Britain, as it always has.

No, not because it's a "threat", but because Britain isn't in charge of it, or otherwise a British colony, and it's much bigger and scarier.

Funny, brexiteers justify it with the illusion of a "return" to greatness and glory, yet the ultimate consequence is the very marginalisation they fear.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
I didn't say we were/are superior, I said we were capable...and there is a lot of evidence to support that.

Amideislas, are you East German by any chance, Chinese perhaps? You seem to have this anti British attitude, maybe just one of life's failures?

Never mind eh!
Classic! Made my day!
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:21 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind eh!
Neither, but the relevance escapes me. The reason the rest of the world pities Britain is because of its recent delusional behaviour leading to its decline... Nothing to do with being some kind of jealous/angry foreigners. That's a British bubble thing.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 12th 2017 at 1:31 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
I give up, your OH who was not born in the UK ,was a national of a different country is in your mind not an immigrant but the millions of others like him are.
I do not pretend to be anything other than an immigrant when living in the country that I was not born in.
OK, he was a temporary immigrant.
Can you agree though that--- "my family"--did not --" come to the UK for a better future" ---your original statement.

Can you agree that people travel between the countries of the world for a variety of reasons?
The UK as others keep pointing out is not overwhelmingly superior to other countries of the world--they don't ALL want to migrate there!
This is an expat Forum--we are coming and going for various reasons.

(PS --my family --'over there' do not see me as an "immigrant" --just one of the family!)

Last edited by Bipat; Jul 12th 2017 at 1:43 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:49 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
OK, he was a temporary immigrant.
Can you agree though that--- "my family"--did not --" come to the UK for a better future" ---your original statement.

Can you agree that people travel between the countries of the world for a variety of reasons?
The UK as others keep pointing out is not overwhelmingly superior to other countries of the world--they don't ALL want to migrate there!
This is an expat Forum--we are coming and going for various reasons.
So your immigrant husband did not come to the UK because it enabled him to get a better education, a better future ?
Why do you have a problem with the word immigrant when it concerns yourimmeduate family.
The UK is not overwhelming superior it just provides opportunities for immigrants not available to them in their countries of birth, what ever that might be.
The only solution to the issue of UK immigration is for it to go into a steep and deep economic decline, to close its futher education to non Brits, to spend billions retraining and retraining its native workforce.

Brexit may contribute to one but neither of the others is going to happen.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:50 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

My last word, I have had my own business since November 1985 and it gone through good and bad times and the fight to get things back on track is both fun and obviously rewarding.

Brexit is going to be tough, it has already cost me quite a few £thousand when I bought my house in Portugal mid Brexit, but I am so looking forward to it being a big success.

That said, "Better to be a poor master than a rich slave"- Michael Caine, and not a lot of people know that.
Another Brexiter lie, another u-turn.

No wonder nobody sensible can take any of you seriously.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Neither, but the relevance escapes me. The reason the rest of the world pities Britain is because of its recent delusional behaviour leading to its decline... Nothing to do with being some kind of jealous/angry foreigners. That's a British bubble thing.
I heard you use the key word "escape" so you are East German, well done mate, you got out. Merkel had to wait a bit longer and she also bought her ideological baggage with her.

Where did you get the idea that the world pities Britain? In all my travels I never heard that, love, hate, piss off, envy, "I want to come and live there", never pities.

and I have been hearing about Britain's decline for forty year, coincidentally about the time we joined the EU. ???

Sorry Mr.Mao, wishful thinking.

Keep taking the steroids........
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:01 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point of a good immigration policy is that we choose who comes in. We are a small country and a huge influx of any nationality induces fears.

When we leave we can choose who comes in based on our needs.

30 years ago I applied to emigrate to Canada, but didn't have the skills they wanted, So I tried Australia, my profession as a Control Systems Engineer was not on their list, but Centre Lathe Turner was, so with those skills I got my visa.

It took me a few weeks to get a job and I fitted into Australian society, as was my duty as an immigrant.

This is what Nigel Farage has been saying from day one.
He was also advocating the Norway relationship. Do you agree with him on that as well?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:02 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I heard you use the key word "escape" so you are East German, well done mate, you got out. Merkel had to wait a bit longer and she also bought her ideological baggage with her.

Where did you get the idea that the world pities Britain? In all my travels I never heard that, love, hate, piss off, envy, "I want to come and live there", never pities.

and I have been hearing about Britain's decline for forty year, coincidentally about the time we joined the EU. ???

Sorry Mr.Mao, wishful thinking.

Keep taking the steroids........
Well the UK hasn't declined for the last 40 years - far from it.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:04 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Sadly not yet but she may as well be after 7+ years, might propose this year though.
Ah, OK. I thought she was already, she must be preserving an escape route

WRONG..this is just like school playground (etc)
Some last word that was yesterday, then.

Lighten up, it is a sunny day....Lets be optimistic.
Not ****ing here it isn't.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:10 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Well the UK hasn't declined for the last 40 years - far from it.
It's just that much of the world has overtaken us,a fact that many in the brexit camp do not comprehend.
Go back to 1979, interesting article in the Economist regarding the decline in the UK compared to other nations.

Last edited by EMR; Jul 12th 2017 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
So your immigrant husband did not come to the UK because it enabled him to get a better education, a better future ?
Why do you have a problem with the word immigrant when it concerns yourimmeduate family.
The UK is not overwhelming superior it just provides opportunities for immigrants not available to them in their countries of birth, what ever that might be.
The only solution to the issue of UK immigration is for it to go into a steep and deep economic decline, to close its futher education to non Brits, to spend billions retraining and retraining its native workforce.

Brexit may contribute to one but neither of the others is going to happen.
I don't have a problem, just being accurate. He was already a graduate, I explained during British times certain Post Grad exams. had to be taken in the UK, the British made this necessary.
The particuar exam was not totally up and running in India by 1960. Within another two years it was. If he had been willing to wait he probably would not have come. His future would have been exactly the same.
So yes I benefited!!
Hundreds came to the UK to do this and went back.

EMR have you ever wondered why there are so few British Expats posting on this Forum who came to the UK as a non-EU migrant and are now living in another EU country? The description "immigrant" is not used as a 'positive' is it?
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
He was also advocating the Norway relationship. Do you agree with him on that as well?
No, we are nothing like Norway, I don't see the comparison. Lets just get the flock out.

I don't get all this emphasis on "relationships" as though it everything in business, it helps, but we do more business with our enemies than our friends. None of the 27 get along, apart from the V4 countries who have a common cause.

In terms of world GDP the EU is the small picture, in terms of growth and progress, the EU is a negative.

The rest of the world is the future, the EU was a dead duck before it began and an expensive one at that.

Leave commie Merkel to her 4th Reich, if trends continue it won't last long.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:32 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I don't have a problem, just being accurate. He was already a graduate, I explained during British times certain Post Grad exams. had to be taken in the UK, the British made this necessary.
The particuar exam was not totally up and running in India by 1960. Within another two years it was. If he had been willing to wait he probably would not have come. His future would have been exactly the same.
So yes I benefited!!
Hundreds came to the UK to do this and went back.

EMR have you ever wondered why there are so few British Expats posting on this Forum who came to the UK as a non-EU migrant and are now living in another EU country? The description "immigrant" is not used as a 'positive' is it?
Brits abroad cannot be immigrants but only expat, only foreigners are immigrants.
You will know how some this forum objected to the term immigrant when applied to them.
A

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.