Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Prior to the referendum one could see that there was no reasoning with the swivel-eyed-loon extreme brexiters, they were so biased in their weird anti-EU outlook one could never have a sensible discussion with them.

Since then this has switched to the swivel-eyed-loon extreme remainer.
Ìt was you who used the word survival whereas I believe in future prosperity., it is you who questioned the patriotism of those who disagree with you.
It is you who wants to bring economic and class segregation into our cities.
Swivel eyed would be a mild description.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:49 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
A little Island that is:

6th Largest world economy.

6th largest military expenditure globally

2nd largest foreign aid donor in the world

2nd in the last Olympics after USA

2nd in the last paralympics after China

...all while being a member of the European Union. 'Remain' could have done with your input during the Referendum campaign.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:49 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
It was a joke in answer to the 'just a small island' remark.
However -if it is so insignificant why do so many want to come to Britain?
Because we are a great country with a history of welcoming those in need and who can contribute to our economy and society.
Your family has benefited from being able to come to Britain .
Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Because we are a great country with a history of welcoming those in need and who can contribute to our economy and society.
Your family has benefited from being able to come to Britain .
I agree with you.

(Just to be accurate my family didn't come to the UK! OH had to come for particular exam. due to previous British incursion elsewhere than Britain. )
I went there!)
Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:59 am
EMR
Banned

I agree with you.

(Just to be accurate my family didn't come to the UK! OH had to come for particular exam. due to previous British incursion elsewhere than Britain. )
I went there!)
No your family came to the UK because it provided them with a better future than staying in India, just like the millions from countries across the world.
They took advantage of what the UK could offer.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
If Britain were demonstrably "enslaved", you might actually have a point. But it's not, and therefore, you don't. And that's precisely why the whole premise is increasingly considered dubious.

One by one, Brexit’s ‘salvations’ are seen to be illusory

The Brexiteers fear they are losing the argument

As the costs of EU withdrawal become clear, the Leavers are desperately searching for scapegoats.
"Slave", definition:- "A person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them". Sounds like the UK to me with all the orders now coming from Brussels and now Berlin. In fact it is worse than slavery, slaves don't get paid, we are actually paying £10,000,000 a day for the privilege.

The Brexiteers (I like that, just like the heroic Musketeers) are losing the argument, really? Seems everyone outside the EU is falling over themselves to do a trade deal with us and that's the real future. This is a messy but necessary divorce and the EU are fighting for their very existence, if another leaves. The UK are threatening to derail their nice little gravy train, so what do you expect but a little mischief?

This is not a cliff edge it is a few waves crashing on the shores as we set sail into the big wide world. Rule Britannia!

So we should leave you scaredy-cats shivering on the beaches of Dunkirk, or Porto, or Berlin.

Last edited by AllanB; Jul 12th 2017 at 10:18 am.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

No your family came to the UK because it provided them with a better future than staying in India, just like the millions from countries across the world.
They took advantage of what the UK could offer.
EMR I just told you my family did NOT come to Britain.

Britain did not allow this particular post-grad. exam during their time in India, and in 1960 it was not yet fully up and running there.
OH had no intention of staying, was offered a job, took it because he liked the countryside in UK ---would have made far more money in India. Then went back!!
Our personal history is irelevant, but at least EMR I think I know it better than you!!
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:16 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:18 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
"Slave", definition:- "A person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them". Sounds like the UK to me with all the orders now coming from Brussels and now Berlin. In fact it is worse than slavery, slaves don't get paid, we are actually paying £10,000,000 a day for the privilege.

The Brexiteers (I like that, just like the heroic Musketeers) are losing the argument, really? Seems everyone outside the EU is falling over themselves to do a trade deal with us and that's the real future. This is a messy but necessary divorce and the EU are fighting for their very existence, if another leaves. The UK are threatening to derail their nice little gravy train, so what do you expect but a little mischief?

This is not a cliff edge it is a few waves crashing on the shores as we set sail into the big wide world. Rule Britannia!

So we should leave you scaredy-cats shivering on the beaches of Dunkirk.
Right, then. You actually believe all this, right?

I have news for you; it was all just political rhetoric. It wasn't true. That's why it's all in question now.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 12th 2017 at 10:21 am.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:19 am
EMR
Banned

EMR I just told you my family did NOT come to Britain.

Britain did not allow this particular post-grad. exam during their time in India, and in 1960 it was not yet fully up and running there.
OH had no intention of staying, was offered a job, took it because he liked the countryside in UK ---would have made far more money in India. Then went back!!
Our personal history is irelevant, but at least EMR I think I know it better than you!!
Your personal history is relevant, your OH was an immigrant, no different to those who came before or since because of what the UK offered.
Once again you ignore anything that contradicts facts.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

It's not "my" analogy, and the old premise suggesting Britain is somehow "shackled" is false. Britain has always done whatever it wants.

Except of course, where it aspires to violate the obligations it previously agreed to, but then, it will need to give up the benefits of those agreements. It can't have both.

The irony of course, is that what it agreed to is actually a good thing, and aside from ideological arguments, it's almost impossible to demonstrate tangible downside.

Yet there's significant quantifiable downside to giving it all up for solely ideological reasons, which is why it's all in question now.
It is interesting that those who continue to question a now obviously 'questionable ' decision have been given this ridiculous and childish label 'remoaners' and even quite hysterically and unfairly deemed 'traitors'

This isn't the school playground. Nor is it the Spanish inquisition . It's serious stuff that requires constant and informed scrutiny. Thus far we have had little of that from our illustrious leaders.
As more is revealed about what we can and can't do,what is viable,and what is merely historical rhetoric. What is fact and what is biased fiction.

I for one hope that our country can move out of this embarrassing, mud slinging,mess, and make some actual progress . One where we can once again hold our heads up high because we have delivered a 'tangible' (not fictionally ) better future for our citizens and trading partners.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:21 am
EMR
Banned

Like yesterday's attack on our patriotism, attack on the free speech of the UK press and the latest, yes I think he actually does.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:22 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't think so - more likely trolling.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

100%, I am an entrepreneur, have had my own business since 1985, have lived in 6 countries and been around this big wide world, as well as nearly all of fortress Europe. On business, expeditions and as a tourist.

I have seen how the British do business, compared with other countries, our levels of innovation, invention and confidence and how many counties also have faith in us.

I have no fears at all, this is another great challenge and once again Britain is up for it, with or without you remoaners.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your personal history is relevant, your OH was an immigrant, no different to those who came before or since because of what the UK offered.
Once again you ignore anything that contradicts facts.
He was not an immigrant, how many times, the UK took what he had to offer, by offering a job(s)
The British in India had rules about various Post Grad. exams some could only be done in the UK (I presume to make use of the 'best brains' from there.) Otherwise he would never have come to the UK.
Our main home has always been in India. I am the 'migrant'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.