British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Aug 24th 2016 5:54 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Stop moaning about Europe – Brexit is the least of our troubles

A recent headline in the Times left me reeling at the speed at which the world has changed: “The moaners mustn’t be allowed a second vote”. But surely moaning was the essence of wanting to leave the EU?

I keep having a nightmarish vision of a Union Jack-themed dinner party in Cromer, at which middle-aged couples, chewing local produce, stare across the table at each other, saying things like: “Tim, we’ve finally got our country back.” Yet what shape should that country, no longer strangled by the tentacles of Brussels, take? The moaning has gone on so long, it is no longer clear what it has to do with the EU. Besides, deep down, these people know that each time they said “Pole”, they actually meant “Somali”.

Red Eric Aug 24th 2016 7:24 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12033475)
You don’t seem very confident with the EU. Getting the jitters?

Britain wins with a cordial agreement as we will be free of the EU.

Really? How free would that be, in your opinion?

There are reports of Liam Fox and Boris Johnson being completely at odds with each other over how much of this freedom they should be aiming for. And clearly even when they get it together that's just a wishlist which the EU will be highly unlikely to hand over on a plate. Why should they make it look like leaving is desirable for any of the current members? They all made free choices about joining in the first place, they've all had a hand in shaping the Union into what it is today and to break it up would be to throw away a perfectly sound investment.

I won't be expecting negotiations to be cordial and the more I read about the vast amount of disentangling required in order for the UK to be able to properly claim it is "free" of the EU, the less likely I think it is to happen as completely as the phrase implies.

jimenato Aug 24th 2016 7:42 am

I expect the leavers to re-define 'leave' a few times before this is over.

And 'successful' and 'cordial' and 'wins'.

amideislas Aug 24th 2016 7:46 am

I said long ago that ultimately, it will be all the fault of the remainers - and Europe of course. Just watch.

jimenato Aug 24th 2016 8:57 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12033772)
I said long ago that ultimately, it will be all the fault of the remainers - and Europe of course. Just watch.

It will be the remainers fault for talking it down.

DaveLovesDee Aug 24th 2016 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12033587)
Not the centre of the universe but the central hub and origin of the Commonwealth, 53 countries many with rapidly expanding economies,whose prospects are looking a damned sight brighter than those of the disjointed EU in its state of rapid decline in importance and never ending state of turmoil.

Commonwealth member countries

I'm not sure what historical ties Mozambique has to the UK, as I'm sure it was a former Portuguese colony.

Anyway, I really like your idea of what you keep referring to as an unelected dictatorship to increase trade with another unelected bureaucracy. After all, no-one elected the Queen as the Commonwealth head of state, and no-one elected the rest of the Commonwealth Secretariat either.

But at least we're in charge of the Commonwealth.

Bipat Aug 24th 2016 9:35 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12033812)
Commonwealth member countries

I'm not sure what historical ties Mozambique has to the UK, as I'm sure it was a former Portuguese colony.

Anyway, I really like your idea of what you keep referring to as an unelected dictatorship to increase trade with another unelected bureaucracy. After all, no-one elected the Queen as the Commonwealth head of state, and no-one elected the rest of the Commonwealth Secretariat either.

But at least we're in charge of the Commonwealth.

We are not "in charge" of the Commonwealth--note the words 'symbolic functions'.
The Commonwealth is not aiming for political union, it does not have laws superior to our own. It is an organisation based on good will and appreciation of differences.
I have the feeling that it may well disband after the Queen dies, I hope I am wrong but the origins are now past history, as are the world wars.

amideislas Aug 24th 2016 9:42 am

Isn't "commonwealth" the politically correct term for the "Empire"?

Bipat Aug 24th 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12033834)
Isn't "commonwealth" the politically correct term for the "Empire"?

No. The Commonwealth is voluntary. The Queen is not thinking of taxing the members or invading their lands.

Bahtatboy Aug 24th 2016 10:27 am

Differences of opinion: The Guardian and The Independent within 10 hours of each other:

Guardian
UK economic indicators defy Brexit fears

Britain appears to be bouncing back from the post-Brexit panic in better shape than expected, after a string of indicators showed growth across the manufacturing sector, the building industry and in consumer spending.

Independent
Two months after the EU referendum, how Brexit has already changed Britain

Two months on from Britain’s EU referendum and economists are still assessing the damage from what has variously been described as “an act of self harm” a “tragic split” and “the most stupid idea of the century”. The initial panic that saw property funds shutting down and businesses wondering whether they’d have to shut up shop, is over. But it has become very clear that a decision of breathtaking recklessness and stupidity has cost UK companies billions if not trillions of pounds. And the price will continue to be paid for years to come.

paulry Aug 24th 2016 10:41 am

True or not?

Lion in Winter Aug 24th 2016 10:50 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12033766)
I expect the leavers to re-define 'leave' a few times before this is over.

And 'successful' and 'cordial' and 'wins'.

And "free".

Not that it was ever very well defined in the first place.

amideislas Aug 24th 2016 11:18 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12033879)

no.

jimenato Aug 24th 2016 11:26 am

:rolleyes:

mfesharne Aug 24th 2016 11:32 am

Absolutely true.