Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jun 26th 2017, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
I've owned a house in Europe for the past 20-odd years, so yes.

The idea that Europe is some sort of hippy-dippy, non-racist, open & liberal nirvana is nonsense - the UK is one of the most open and tolerant places in Europe.
I think you'll find that's 'past tense' now Cape
Old Jun 26th 2017, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
I don't think it is any difference the same intolerant minority have always existed. In the 1960s-70s they expressd their views about Commonwealth migrants, now it is regarding EU migrants. Also the recent terrorist attacks have given them another reason.
However they are a small minority of people that use the excuse of 'events' to give voice.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 9:26 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
New EU rules requiring tighter checks at Schengen borders will come into force on April 7 2017

The UK and Gib are not in Schengen, so there are always going to be border checks at Schengen/non-Schengen border points. Those checks became stronger 2 months ago.
Fair airport is being extended, the entry immigration gates now have additional non, EU gates.
One could suspect that these will be for the Brits and other non EU visitors.
Looking fwd ( Not) to being stuck behind those having their paperwork checked while our once fellow EU members breeze through their EU entry channels.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 9:58 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

No, I still own the house.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

No, I still own the house.
I mean't your last sentence!
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:30 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I mean't your last sentence!
I know

I disagree BTW.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Thanks for the tip. However, on this occasion I was referring to negative publicity put out by OLAF, the EU anti-fraud office, who had firm reason to believe, for example, that the 117 million packs of cigarettes imported into Gib in 2013 weren't consumed by the 30,000 Gibraltarians who live there and that even allowing for purchases by chain-smoking tourists didn't explain that amount of consumption.

Funnily enough, when stricter border controls were introduced in 2014, the figure for imports for the comparable period fell to 36 million packs.

It was money-laundering I referred to, rather than Gibraltar's famous tax haven status, but yes, I'm sure the UK's support for that is also a bone of contention with the Spaniards.
Eric how do you feel about the smuggling which takes place along Portugal's long Atlantic coast?
Are the floating warehouses anchored on the sea mounts to the west of Portugal still in place? Used to tranship goods from larger vessels onto smaller fast ones for the run ashore.

Would you like to give a link to your stated drop in cigarettes I am in the belief that more cigarettes enter Spain from the Canaries and the Americas than ever did from Gibraltar, but lets not forget the ones from the Soviet area and China.
Now that does not excuse Gibraltar who have a very large trade supplying duty free items to shipping including cruise liners and the multitude of vessels visiting for fuel, provisions, medical assistance and crew changes. This area alone contributes significantly to the apparent imbalance of cigarette imports.

I do not deny that cigarette smuggling takes place across the frontier but what do you classify as smuggling?
I believe the latest Spanish definition is when someone has more than one packet on them. So if someone crosses with a packet containing just one ciggarette and anothe full one they are classiefied as smuggling.

With reference to money laundering Gibraltar has some of the toughest financial controls in Europe made necessary by the constant unsubstantiated claims of Spain and others. Our finance activities are overseen and controlled by the UK who has less stringent regulations. Couple this with the easily accessible tax information available on any individual by countries who have signed TIEA's.
To date all the multitude of complaints against Gibraltar Spain has taken to the EU have been rejected.
But unfortunately repeatedly calling someone a bad name sticks regardless of the truth.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jun 27th 2017 at 4:29 am.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:30 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
Would you like to give a link to your stated drop in cigarettes I am in the belief that more cigarettes enter Spain from the Canaries and the Americas than ever did from Gibraltar, but lets not forget the ones from the Soviet area and China.
opps! My careless reading of some part year figures.

Presumably the smuggling across that border continues then, which must be why the Spanish authorities are determined to keep a tight hold on it.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Fair airport is being extended, the entry immigration gates now have additional non, EU gates.
One could suspect that these will be for the Brits and other non EU visitors.
Looking fwd ( Not) to being stuck behind those having their paperwork checked while our once fellow EU members breeze through their EU entry channels.
That dual citizenship is looking more and more desirable by the day.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know

I disagree BTW.
So you don't think all the hateful rhetoric in the papers has affected foreigners living/working in the UK.?

People like my Danish friend,who now feels about as welcome as the plague in the country she 'once' called home...She is coming here on Thursday. I will get it from the genuine article then A foreigner living in the UK
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But unfortunately repeatedly calling someone a bad name sticks regardless of the truth.[/QUOTE] from post 19147

Oh you mean like the EU
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

So you don't think all the hateful rhetoric in the papers has affected foreigners living/working in the UK.?

People like my Danish friend,who now feels about as welcome as the plague in the country she 'once' called home...She is coming here on Thursday. I will get it from the genuine article then A foreigner living in the UK
I gave you an example in above post of a 'foreigner' living on and off in the UK for decades. The 'hateful' people are a minority.
(Doesn't have a sign stitched to his jacket stating 'I am British'.)
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:16 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Programme on BBC last night BBC iPlayer - Brexit: What's Next?.

Interesting that they (@2:10) interviewed 'Vince Middleton' a leave voter and businessman who doesn't regret voting out.

He thinks that 'industry can thrive outside the EU if politicians get it right' but that 'the confidence in the political arena to deliver a good deal is very low.'

It follows that he - a confirmed leave voter - has little confidence that a good deal can be struck.

We're stuffed.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:19 am
Democracy advocate

I think the media enjoys this sort of story and post-brexit were desperate to publicise any sort of issue that could be construed as anti-foreigner, but I don't believe the average Brit has changed from open and decent before the referendum to xenophobic afterwards.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I think the media enjoys this sort of story and post-brexit were desperate to publicise any sort of issue that could be construed as anti-foreigner, but I don't believe the average Brit has changed from open and decent before the referendum to xenophobic afterwards.
How do you know this? How do you know that the average Brit is decent and open? And how do you know that the average European is less do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.