Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jun 17th 2017, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
I have lIved and worked in the EU for over 30 yrs
I forgot to mention in my previous reply that unlike myself I have family members who have lived and worked in the Common Market / EU for 44.5 years and have never set foot outside of the UK
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:13 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of British "EU experts" are like that.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
I forgot to mention in my previous reply that unlike myself I have family members who have lived and worked in the Common Market / EU for 44.5 years and have never set foot outside of the UK
That's a pretty 'telling' remark Fred! Not in the way you mean methinks
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:37 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
Are there two of you?
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

The FT has just published an article on the state of the Business schools in the UK. A rather large group who depend very heavily on the 836 million euros they receive from the EU annually.
It would appear that at least 17% of the profs are leaving or have already left. One interviewed was going back to Spain after 10+yrs in London.(Spain now has two business schools rated in the top 10 in the world) He said in his case it was not entirely due to Brexit as he did wish to take up a better opportunity in his homeland. However amongst his colleagues there was huge unrest. They no longer felt welcome. The UK no longer felt 'open' to ideas and people as it once did. There had been palpable hostility (he quoted one Prof of Italian studies whose wife and son had been berated at Gatwick airport for not speaking 'The language of the country'.

i predicted this way, way, way.back. That it would not be the people you think who would leave the country. It would be the professionals. a bit of scoffing went on.

Well you know if you create a poisonous atmosphere.it doesn't matter what your government says,or prints in the newspaper. Its how you feel. My Danish friend from my NL days has told her Irish OH that she will not stay in the UK,even though her son's and family live there. She feels that every time she opens her mouth people look at her with distaste.
I imagine that this is how the jews felt in the early days of the German Reich...

p.s Sorry I cannot post the FT article

Last edited by GeniB; Jun 17th 2017 at 7:51 am.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty 'telling' remark Fred! Not in the way you mean methinks
It means exactly what I meant it to mean.

I cannot understand the significance of your 30 years in the EU when many Brits have spent 44+ years in the Common Market / EU which also applies to some on this forum.

So either you are very young or your have lived away from Europe for a significant period.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 8:25 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god! Does that mean even White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Brits are ..

Foreigners?
Old Jun 17th 2017, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

The FT has just published an article on the state of the Business schools in the UK. A rather large group who depend very heavily on the 836 million euros they receive from the EU annually.
It would appear that at least 17% of the profs are leaving or have already left. One interviewed was going back to Spain after 10+yrs in London.(Spain now has two business schools rated in the top 10 in the world) He said in his case it was not entirely due to Brexit as he did wish to take up a better opportunity in his homeland. However amongst his colleagues there was huge unrest. They no longer felt welcome. The UK no longer felt 'open' to ideas and people as it once did. There had been palpable hostility (he quoted one Prof of Italian studies whose wife and son had been berated at Gatwick airport for not speaking 'The language of the country'.

i predicted this way, way, way.back. That it would not be the people you think who would leave the country. It would be the professionals. a bit of scoffing went on.

Well you know if you create a poisonous atmosphere.it doesn't matter what your government says,or prints in the newspaper. Its how you feel. My Danish friend from my NL days has told her Irish OH that she will not stay in the UK,even though her son's and family live there. She feels that every time she opens her mouth people look at her with distaste.
I imagine that this is how the jews felt in the early days of the German Reich...

p.s Sorry I cannot post the FT article
It is on German news as well. The skilled Germans are leaving in droves. The educated and skilled will leave first simply because they have choices! It is the less well-educated that will stay as long as possible. Skilled people don't need the UK. But the UK needs them. So maybe in the end Brexit will be good for the EU... We are getting a massive amount of skilled Europeans back. Thank you Brexit.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 9:24 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure all of these potential responses to Brexit would have been covered in the risk assessment section of the Department for Brexit Masterplan.

Trust in Delusional Davis, all will be well. We really have no choice now.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 9:34 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post

Did you know that after all that bluster about how all the negotiations were going to be running in parallel, DD has quietly folded and accepted the EU's sequenced approach?
Old Jun 17th 2017, 9:37 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post

Did you know that after all that bluster about how all the negotiations were going to be running in parallel, DD has quietly folded and accepted the EU's sequenced approach?
Yes, Eric. Appears Delusional picked a bad news day to fold, glad it didn't go completely unnoticed.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 9:44 am
Who - me?

I'm like that iano.

Sometimes I even notice things before they've happened.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 9:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano View Post
I'm sure all of these potential responses to Brexit would have been covered in the risk assessment section of the Department for Brexit Masterplan.

I've seen that Masterplan, it's a big sheet of paper that says

WE'RE GOING
Old Jun 17th 2017, 10:02 am
Reasonable Bitch

Does anyone remember when Sarah Palin was running for VP with John McCain? The "mavericks", remember?

I remember something about some journalist asking Sarah Palin about some serious issue... Her answer was that she would "do what mavericks do".

Brexit means Brexit always reminds me of that.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 10:33 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Does anyone remember when Sarah Palin was running for VP with John McCain? The "mavericks", remember?

I remember something about some journalist asking Sarah Palin about some serious issue... Her answer was that she would "do what mavericks do".

Brexit means Brexit always reminds me of that.
A maverick is an untrained horse that runs around in circles, a good description of our governments approach to leaving the EU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.