British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Fredbargate Jun 17th 2017 4:41 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12274087)
I have lIved and worked in the EU for over 30 yrs

I forgot to mention in my previous reply that unlike myself I have family members who have lived and worked in the Common Market / EU for 44.5 years and have never set foot outside of the UK

amideislas Jun 17th 2017 6:13 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
A lot of British "EU experts" are like that.

GeniB Jun 17th 2017 6:36 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12274851)
I forgot to mention in my previous reply that unlike myself I have family members who have lived and worked in the Common Market / EU for 44.5 years and have never set foot outside of the UK

That's a pretty 'telling' remark Fred! Not in the way you mean methinks:o

Red Eric Jun 17th 2017 6:37 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12274851)
I forgot to mention in my previous reply that unlike myself I have family members who have lived and worked in the Common Market / EU for 44.5 years and have never set foot outside of the UK

:confused: Are there two of you?

GeniB Jun 17th 2017 6:48 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
The FT has just published an article on the state of the Business schools in the UK. A rather large group who depend very heavily on the 836 million euros they receive from the EU annually.
It would appear that at least 17% of the profs are leaving or have already left. One interviewed was going back to Spain after 10+yrs in London.(Spain now has two business schools rated in the top 10 in the world) He said in his case it was not entirely due to Brexit as he did wish to take up a better opportunity in his homeland. However amongst his colleagues there was huge unrest. They no longer felt welcome. The UK no longer felt 'open' to ideas and people as it once did. There had been palpable hostility (he quoted one Prof of Italian studies whose wife and son had been berated at Gatwick airport for not speaking 'The language of the country'.

i predicted this way, way, way.back. That it would not be the people you think who would leave the country. It would be the professionals. a bit of scoffing went on.

Well you know if you create a poisonous atmosphere.it doesn't matter what your government says,or prints in the newspaper. Its how you feel. My Danish friend from my NL days has told her Irish OH that she will not stay in the UK,even though her son's and family live there. She feels that every time she opens her mouth people look at her with distaste.
I imagine that this is how the jews felt in the early days of the German Reich...

p.s Sorry I cannot post the FT article

Fredbargate Jun 17th 2017 7:21 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12274866)
That's a pretty 'telling' remark Fred! Not in the way you mean methinks:o

It means exactly what I meant it to mean.

I cannot understand the significance of your 30 years in the EU when many Brits have spent 44+ years in the Common Market / EU which also applies to some on this forum.

So either you are very young or your have lived away from Europe for a significant period.

amideislas Jun 17th 2017 7:25 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Oh my god! Does that mean even White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Brits are ..

Foreigners?

Assanah Jun 17th 2017 8:00 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12274873)
The FT has just published an article on the state of the Business schools in the UK. A rather large group who depend very heavily on the 836 million euros they receive from the EU annually.
It would appear that at least 17% of the profs are leaving or have already left. One interviewed was going back to Spain after 10+yrs in London.(Spain now has two business schools rated in the top 10 in the world) He said in his case it was not entirely due to Brexit as he did wish to take up a better opportunity in his homeland. However amongst his colleagues there was huge unrest. They no longer felt welcome. The UK no longer felt 'open' to ideas and people as it once did. There had been palpable hostility (he quoted one Prof of Italian studies whose wife and son had been berated at Gatwick airport for not speaking 'The language of the country'.

i predicted this way, way, way.back. That it would not be the people you think who would leave the country. It would be the professionals. a bit of scoffing went on.

Well you know if you create a poisonous atmosphere.it doesn't matter what your government says,or prints in the newspaper. Its how you feel. My Danish friend from my NL days has told her Irish OH that she will not stay in the UK,even though her son's and family live there. She feels that every time she opens her mouth people look at her with distaste.
I imagine that this is how the jews felt in the early days of the German Reich...

p.s Sorry I cannot post the FT article

It is on German news as well. The skilled Germans are leaving in droves. The educated and skilled will leave first simply because they have choices! It is the less well-educated that will stay as long as possible. Skilled people don't need the UK. But the UK needs them. So maybe in the end Brexit will be good for the EU... We are getting a massive amount of skilled Europeans back. Thank you Brexit.

iano Jun 17th 2017 8:24 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
I'm sure all of these potential responses to Brexit would have been covered in the risk assessment section of the Department for Brexit Masterplan.

Trust in Delusional Davis, all will be well. We really have no choice now.

Red Eric Jun 17th 2017 8:34 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12274896)
Trust in Delusional Davis, all will be well. We really have no choice now.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did you know that after all that bluster about how all the negotiations were going to be running in parallel, DD has quietly folded and accepted the EU's sequenced approach?

iano Jun 17th 2017 8:37 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12274898)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did you know that after all that bluster about how all the negotiations were going to be running in parallel, DD has quietly folded and accepted the EU's sequenced approach?

Yes, Eric. Appears Delusional picked a bad news day to fold, glad it didn't go completely unnoticed.

Red Eric Jun 17th 2017 8:44 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
I'm like that iano.

Sometimes I even notice things before they've happened.

mikelincs Jun 17th 2017 8:44 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12274896)
I'm sure all of these potential responses to Brexit would have been covered in the risk assessment section of the Department for Brexit Masterplan.

Trust in Delusional Davis, all will be well. We really have no choice now.

I've seen that Masterplan, it's a big sheet of paper that says

WE'RE GOING

amideislas Jun 17th 2017 9:02 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Does anyone remember when Sarah Palin was running for VP with John McCain? The "mavericks", remember?

I remember something about some journalist asking Sarah Palin about some serious issue... Her answer was that she would "do what mavericks do".

Brexit means Brexit always reminds me of that.

EMR Jun 17th 2017 9:33 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12274905)
Does anyone remember when Sarah Palin was running for VP with John McCain? The "mavericks", remember?

I remember something about some journalist asking Sarah Palin about some serious issue... Her answer was that she would "do what mavericks do".

Brexit means Brexit always reminds me of that.

A maverick is an untrained horse that runs around in circles, a good description of our governments approach to leaving the EU.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:25 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.