British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Jun 13th 2017 12:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

I can hear some heads exploding :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ng-citizenship

la mancha Jun 13th 2017 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12272065)

EU referendum: Worried EU nationals dash for UK citizenship amid Brexit fears | The Independent

Citizenship Applications From Eastern Europeans Rise Post-Brexit

It's six of one and half-a-dozen of the other.

amideislas Jun 13th 2017 1:44 pm

Nobody wants to be uprooted for senseless political jockeying. British expats in Europe are applying for EU citizenship in record numbers too. As could be expected.

But it seems that might not be necessary anymore. We'll see. Still, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Lion in Winter Jun 13th 2017 1:54 pm

So essentially, people just move around between countries and that's fine, no harm done.

Normal behaviour, one might almost say....

la mancha Jun 13th 2017 1:56 pm

One cannot apply for EU citizenship. One applies for German/French/Spanish citizenship and in addition to this citizenship will automatically be a citizen of the European Union. See how you have all become brainwashed? It may be playing on words but the truth is one cannot apply for EU citizenship alone.

iano Jun 13th 2017 2:01 pm

What's making my head explode is all this 11th hour call for cross-party consensus on 'what type of Brexit deal' the UK should 'negotiate'.

The EU is clear, always has been clear, there is to be no cherry-picking by the UK, membership of the single market means accepting free movement. There is UK wide delusion that a 'deal' can be reached where the EU compromises on one of its fundamental 4 pillars, free movement. It just ain't going to happen.

Many will recall the original 'Leaving the EU' thread where some of us were saying that clarifying the issue of the single market, which has never been made clear despite claims to the contrary, was absolutely critical. Now a mere week before negotiations begin to disentangle ourselves from the EU, the UK is STILL not crystal clear on its economic or negotiating position.

This should have all been resolved BEFORE the referendum, all cards put on the table with think tanks, cross-party committees, business leaders, trades unions etc all coming together to thrash out what leaving the EU (including leaving the single market/customs Union) and all its ramifications would mean to the nation, it really is that important. Then put it to the electorate before allowing them to vote on it.

The fact it hasn't, means this whole charade is a national disgrace, and a national humiliation.

Lion in Winter Jun 13th 2017 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12272126)
One cannot apply for EU citizenship. One applies for German/French/Spanish citizenship and in addition to this citizenship will automatically be a citizen of the European Union. See how you have all become brainwashed? It may be playing on words but the truth is one cannot apply for EU citizenship alone.

Did I suggest that one could apply for EU citizenship :confused:

I was merely suggesting, with my freshly washed brain, that it is a simple fact that people move around between countries, this has always been the case, and no harm comes of it.

Annetje Jun 13th 2017 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12272131)
What's making my head explode is all this 11th hour call for cross-party consensus on 'what type of Brexit deal' the UK should 'negotiate'.

The EU is clear, always has been clear, there is to be no cherry-picking by the UK, membership of the single market means accepting free movement. There is UK wide delusion that a 'deal' can be reached where the EU compromises on one of its fundamental 4 pillars, free movement. It just ain't going to happen.

Many will recall the original 'Leaving the EU' thread where some of us were saying that clarifying the issue of the single market, which has never been made clear despite claims to the contrary, was absolutely critical. Now a mere week before negotiations begin to disentangle ourselves from the EU, the UK is STILL not crystal clear on its economic or negotiating position.

This should have all been resolved BEFORE the referendum, all cards put on the table with think tanks, cross-party committees, business leaders, trades unions etc all coming together to thrash out what leaving the EU (including leaving the single market/customs Union) and all its ramifications would mean to the nation, it really is that important. Then put it to the electorate before allowing them to vote on it.

The fact it hasn't, means this whole charade is a national disgrace, and a national humiliation.

:goodpost:

la mancha Jun 13th 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12272133)
Did I suggest that one could apply for EU citizenship :confused:

I was merely suggesting, with my freshly washed brain, that it is a simple fact that people move around between countries, this has always been the case, and no harm comes of it.

Did I suggest I was answering you? I would have thought if you were following the thread it was obvious I was answering another poster or just generalising. Don’t jump on inconsequential things so quick.

amideislas Jun 13th 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12272126)

Correct. That's why they're doing it. To stay as an EU citizen (just in case No. 10 blows it).

Lion in Winter Jun 13th 2017 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12272148)
Did I suggest I was answering you? I would have thought if you were following the thread it was obvious I was answering another poster or just generalising. Don’t jump on inconsequential things so quick.

May I suggest you used the quote button to clarify who on earth you are talking to.

amideislas Jun 13th 2017 10:22 pm

Brexit meets Alice in Wonderland

With or without the UK, the EU is determinedly looking forward.

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/375/...ade_624_v2.png

Fargin bastiges.

Fredbargate Jun 14th 2017 4:00 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12272530)
Brexit meets Alice in Wonderland

With or without the UK, the EU is determinedly looking forward.

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/375/...ade_624_v2.png

Fargin bastiges.

The only EU country on that list that buys more from the UK than we buy from is Ireland

Therefore it would appear the EU is likely to come off worst with a bad trade deal.

Assanah Jun 14th 2017 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12272679)
The only EU country on that list that buys more from the UK than we buy from is Ireland

Therefore it would appear the EU is likely to come off worst with a bad trade deal.

We have discussed this many times. But just in case you haven't noticed there​ is a whole big world (aka India) out there with billions of customers to replace the British. The EU is going global honey 🍯

amideislas Jun 14th 2017 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12272679)

In any case, the UK won't stop buying European goods, simply because it can't produce those goods itself. So, that's not a major concern, really. The larger concern is whether Britons can continue to afford to buy those imports (from anywhere, not just Europe).

Besides, what Britain buys from Europe, although more than half of what Britain consumes, it still represents only 10% of what Europe exports, so even if Britain vanished from the face of the earth, it still wouldn't be existential to Europe. The reverse, however, is a different story.

It now seems though, that reality is sorting things out for Britain, so, at the end of the day, it may be a moot point.