British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Jun 13th 2017 7:52 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12271403)
You're joking, not ANOTHER one ! Oh for god's sake, honestly, I can't stand this. :lol:

Please!! Just don't do that.:hand:

I can't stand that damned woman's accent.:mad:

(it's a bit close to home)

Bipat Jun 13th 2017 8:04 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12271788)
Get off your high horse,my comments apply to anywhere that the UK has to recruit nurses from to meet its skills gap.
So nurses in Kerala fund their own training, so what, it has nothing to do with the UK need for nurses.

Yes, discussion about the UK need for nurses and the temporary (probably) lack of applications from EU countries. Followed by your negative views about nurses from non-EU countries.

Assanah Jun 13th 2017 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12271822)
Yes, discussion about the UK need for nurses and the temporary (probably) lack of applications from EU countries. Followed by your negative views about nurses from non-EU countries.

You are taking about the lack of nurses as if this comparable to the lack of Indian curry cooks. Hopefully neither you nor your family or friends will get sick while having a lack of nurses.

EMR Jun 13th 2017 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12271822)

What has been negative about the nurses from non EU countries.
Are you getting a complex.
We need nurses, I would rather they came from a country where they were not needed as much as those from the developing world .

EMR Jun 13th 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12271806)
Please!! Just don't do that.:hand:

I can't stand that damned woman's accent.:mad:

(it's a bit close to home)

"Was wrong wi a bit a brissle "

Red Eric Jun 13th 2017 8:36 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12271832)
We need nurses, I would rather they came from a country where they were not needed as much as those from the developing world .

You're talking about this as though the NHS is being predatory in its recruitment of foreign staff - but is it?

Lack of employment opportunities for trained nurses wherever they're being drawn from is just as likely (if not more so) to be a factor. Nobody's being done a disservice unless there are countries that are unable to fill nursing vacancies as a result of homegrown nurses moving abroad. A lack of employed nursing staff doesn't necessarily indicate that - a swathe of unfilled vacancies or a continual high turnover of nursing staff does.

Bipat Jun 13th 2017 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12271829)
You are taking about the lack of nurses as if this comparable to the lack of Indian curry cooks. Hopefully neither you nor your family or friends will get sick while having a lack of nurses.

I was taking part in the discussion regarding lack of applications from EU nurses, and just pointing out that there were also applications from non-EU countries that could be increased.

There has been a shortage of nurses in the UK long before Brexit was thought of!! Part of many problems in the NHS that seem to date back to the time of Health Minister Kenneth Clarke --a Tory pro-tobacco advocate!!

EMR Jun 13th 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12271845)
You're talking about this as though the NHS is being predatory in its recruitment of foreign staff - but is it?

Lack of employment opportunities for trained nurses wherever they're being drawn from is just as likely (if not more so) to be a factor. Nobody's being done a disservice unless there are countries that are unable to fill nursing vacancies as a result of homegrown nurses moving abroad. A lack of employed nursing staff doesn't necessarily indicate that - a swathe of unfilled vacancies or a continual high turnover of nursing staff does.

A surplus of skilled nurses in a poor and developing country like the Phillipines does suggest that the local health system is being denied their services through lack of finance etc.
Or that there is a positive trend to develop an export industry of skilled individuals.
Either way the UK should be focussing on improving its skill base and not relying on other nations to provide them, EU or non EU.

Annetje Jun 13th 2017 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12271855)
I was taking part in the discussion regarding lack of applications from EU nurses, and just pointing out that there were also applications from non-EU countries that could be increased.

There has been a shortage of nurses in the UK long before Brexit was thought of!! Part of many problems in the NHS that seem to date back to the time of Health Minister Kenneth Clarke --a Tory pro-tobacco advocate!!

Wasn't ''LESS IMMIGRATION'' the most important purpose of the whole Brexit-thing ? (10s of thousands I think the popular expression is).

Bipat Jun 13th 2017 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12271861)
Wasn't ''LESS IMMIGRATION'' the most important purpose of the whole Brexit-thing ? (10s of thousands I think the popular expression is).

It was 'skills based' immigration regardless of nationality and which can be varied in numbers according to need.
the 10s of thousands was in the Cameron manifesto.

EMR Jun 13th 2017 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12271865)
It was 'skills based' immigration regardless of nationality and which can be varied in numbers according to need.

Importing skills rather than developing our own was not.

Bipat Jun 13th 2017 9:26 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12271869)
Importing skills rather than developing our own was not.

The word "developing" is crucial, until enough of the UK "own" are 'developed', skills need to be imported. Also there will always be benefits in two-way 'sharing' of knowledge and skills.

Annetje Jun 13th 2017 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12271865)

In the May manifesto as well ... which I think has been torn up by now ?
Mind you, she still says : Nothing has changed (arms wide open, ready to fly off) :rofl:

Think about it, 10s of thousands will be taken up by nurses. So what about all the other jobs immigrants do because Brits do not want to do them ?
Raising pension age to 79 and forcing the oldies into the fields ? One can dream the youngsters will do them, but that is just a dream.

DaveLovesDee Jun 13th 2017 11:53 am

I'll put this here because the Guardian's 3 Berliner presses will be out of work (bloody Germans, coming here and taking our jobs) :p ;)

The Guardian's print edition will be changing to tabloid page sizes, and be printed at the same plants the Mirror is printed at.

Lion in Winter Jun 13th 2017 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12271888)
In the May manifesto as well ... which I think has been torn up by now ?
Mind you, she still says : Nothing has changed (arms wide open, ready to fly off) :rofl:

Think about it, 10s of thousands will be taken up by nurses. So what about all the other jobs immigrants do because Brits do not want to do them ?
Raising pension age to 79 and forcing the oldies into the fields ? One can dream the youngsters will do them, but that is just a dream.

I always get stuck on this one - we say we don't want to bring in low-skilled immigrant labour, yet we want our low-skilled jobs done, presumably then by British-born workers. This boils down to saying that we want to leave a segment of our population sufficiently undereducated to make them view itinerant harvesting and other low/no skills jobs as attractive or at least as their only option.

Is the idea that such people will start their lives picking carrots but then advance to rewarding careers? Because it sounds more like a Victorian idea of the happy working man keeping his place and making us all feel comforted by the idea as long as others are the ones actually doing it. I don't think the people calling for British carrot pickers are proposing this work for themselves or their families, are they?