Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Jun 3rd 2017, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Yeah, they get around, I see pictures of their airliners all over the place.

The Tu-154 isn't huge, it's basically a reverse-engineered Boeing 727. Small, tri-engined 150 seat type of a thing.

The huge one you saw in the Netherlands was probably one of these.
Yep that would be the 'hummer'
Old Jun 6th 2017, 8:59 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
And the Dutch travel with their own food when going on holiday camping. Germans joke about them being misers.
As do the Germans when they go on camping holidays in Sweden.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:17 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody forners!
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, they get around, I see pictures of their airliners all over the place.

The Tu-154 isn't huge, it's basically a reverse-engineered Boeing 727. Small, tri-engined 150 seat type of a thing.

The huge one you saw in the Netherlands was probably one of these.
Tu154 with a capacity of up to 180 passengers was considered an average size in its day.
The Tu134 was the baby of the fleet carrying 70 passengers and a later version 90.
Travelled several times on both way back in their hayday in the eighties, usually to Bulgaria, Rumania and Yugoslavia as it then was.
Quite an experience, on one occasion taking off with several passengers still standing in the aisle waiting to get seated, Bulgarian stewardesses built like brick outhouses and another occasion when the seat in front of me collapsed on my knees.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:27 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Bloody forners!

Yes, that's what the Swedes thought, mistakenly optimistic that their local shops might get an increase in their sales.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:29 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly View Post
Yes, that's what the Swedes thought, mistakenly optimistic that their local shops might get an increase in their sales.
You obviously have not been to Sweden recently probably the most prosperous country in Europe.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:31 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Tu154 with a capacity of up to 180 passengers was considered an average size in its day.
The Tu134 was the baby of the fleet carrying 70 passengers and a later version 90.
Travelled several times on both way back in their hayday in the eighties, usually to Bulgaria, Rumania and Yugoslavia as it then was.
Quite an experience, on one occasion taking off with several passengers still standing in the aisle waiting to get seated, Bulgarian stewardesses built like brick outhouses and another occasion when the seat in front of me collapsed on my knees.
Right, the Tu-154 was essentially the Russian 'reverse-engineered' 727. I might have been off with the capacity though now you mention it.

I don't know if it was a characteristic of rear-engined planes because I've seen the VC-10 do it too, but I've watched a few takeoff videos of old 154s and they usually have a pretty steep climb. Might not have been great inside judging by your description but they looked nice enough in the air.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 10:26 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it was a characteristic of rear-engined planes because I've seen the VC-10 do it too, but I've watched a few takeoff videos of old 154s and they usually have a pretty steep climb.
I believe up to about 10 years ago, Russian-built aircraft were more sensitive to power changes at low altitudes such as during takeoffs in built-up areas, so they tended to get to altitude as quickly as possible, reducing the noise footprint in affected areas.

Also, many of the pilots are Russian ex-military, and the SOP in places such as Afghanistan (and even in training) would be to climb out of gun and handheld surface-to-air missile range as fast as possible. Some habits don't change....
Old Jun 6th 2017, 10:56 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I believe up to about 10 years ago, Russian-built aircraft were more sensitive to power changes at low altitudes such as during takeoffs in built-up areas, so they tended to get to altitude as quickly as possible, reducing the noise footprint in affected areas.

Also, many of the pilots are Russian ex-military, and the SOP in places such as Afghanistan (and even in training) would be to climb out of gun and handheld surface-to-air missile range as fast as possible. Some habits don't change....
Yeah, that makes sense. I do love to watch a steep climb on takeoff though and it's even more fun to be in the plane during one.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 11:16 pm
On the road again.

Might explain why first take off I experienced in a Tu134 I felt literally pinned back in my seat.
Another thing the Soviet bloc pilots used to do was to stand the planes almost on their wingtips to get lined up for the runway, rather than make a gradual turn.

Regarding the old Tu154 which appeared to be falling to bits inside the cabin, I recall they put us in the back seat.
The windows were so filthy it was virtually impossible to see out of them, but the scream of the engine only a couple of feet from our heads was deafening, especially on take off.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 1:27 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that makes sense. I do love to watch a steep climb on takeoff though and it's even more fun to be in the plane during one.
0-100mph in a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S is something I'd highly recommend too. Especially as a passenger in the convertible version.

Might explain why first take off I experienced in a Tu134 I felt literally pinned back in my seat.
Another thing the Soviet bloc pilots used to do was to stand the planes almost on their wingtips to get lined up for the runway, rather than make a gradual turn.
Yup, again to avoid being in range of ground fire for too long.

Also corkscrewing down in tight spirals before the final wingtip turn.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:04 am
Grove 4 Life

0-100mph in a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S is something I'd highly recommend too. Especially as a passenger in the convertible version.
One of these days ...
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DaveLovesDee;12267679]0-100mph in a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S is something I'd highly recommend too. Especially as a passenger in the convertible version.

Pleeeze don't remind me.. OH had one for a few yrs(Porche 911 that is). Not only did I have to climb UP the kerb to get in it. Fall on my knees to get out of it.But the b****y dog had to come too. She sat behind OH's head with her paws on his shoulders!! Speed was her thing ,used to send her ears backwards...She loved it.. as did I really
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pleased to have got you plane fanatics reminising....lol

My biggest bugbear(s) were Fokkers... (and yes.. they were!!) Remember once flying into/and out of Eindhoven airport in an 18 seater... when the airport was a Nissan hut in a ploughed field. Aggh... pass the sick bag.

The take off had been interesting in itself . The pilots cabin separated from us by only a (velvet) curtain....classy..Until the one stewardess inadvertently left if 'open ' and we could see him thumping the instrument panel as we taxi'd down the runway. Sheeeeet

Landing on the other hand...well we missed the hut...banged the tarmac so hard we burst a tyre, and slid gently into a ditch. Ah memories
Looking back I think the pilot trained with KLM. They learned to land planes on aircraft hangars so we were told. They would slam the wheels into the runway. Everyone would clap,grateful to be alive.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 6:55 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky enough to have done that with Dad when he had this exact car.
Unlucky enough he sold it before I got to 17.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.