British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

InVinoVeritas May 24th 2017 9:55 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259413)
Hardly "trawling". It's no work at all. New stuff is published daily.. All recent (within hours in some cases), and top the list of search results for the term "Brexit".

Reports reflecting my views are so ubiquitous, that I *could* post links to literally thousands of similar articles, but I exercise quite a bit of discretion in terms of quantity and quality.

And if people want to make unsubstantiated claims, they really ought to do their homework first, because if it's just what they "want to believe", reality has a funny way of sorting that out for them

Untrue - when I type in "Brexit" your links aren't even in the first 10 pages.

amideislas May 24th 2017 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12259400)
I think you are trawling the web for links!
The above is nonsense---"or other liberal party"--what does that actually mean?
A Labour Government we have had regular Labour Governments before, we may well eventually have one again --hardly "unthinkable"!
The rest of the link has just three sentences about Brexit.

Your 'property' link---What percentage of the British population wish to buy property in Spain?

The 'Great Britain's Dangerous Attitude' link contains inaccuracies regarding Mrs May's trip abroad.

So, on to your (irrelevant) questions:
"or other liberal party"--what does that actually mean?

A party subscribing to liberal doctrines. Lib dems, for example.

Your 'property' link---What percentage of the British population wish to buy property in Spain?

I don't know, but it's irrelevant to the argument.

The rest of the link has just three sentences about Brexit.

Yes.

The 'Great Britain's Dangerous Attitude' link contains inaccuracies regarding Mrs May's trip abroad.

Could be. It still doesn't negate the association to the "unique" stereotypical British psyche. I didn't make it up. It's commonly associated with Brexit.

amideislas May 24th 2017 10:04 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12259420)
Untrue - when I type in "Brexit" your links aren't even in the first 10 pages.

After you enter the search term, click "news". This returns recent results.

Besides, what are the dates of the links you object to? Today? Yesterday? This week? Last week?

Golden Years May 24th 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259343)
Anyway, pertaining to your "opinion":

Brexit dims dreams of buying a holiday home in Spain

Fewer Britons are buying homes in Spain after the UK's vote to leave the EU

Funny though, that hasn't slowed the growth in sales of Spanish properties:

Spain Growth Primed for Another Property Bubble

After spending the last few years groggily getting back onto its feet following the collapse of one of the most spectacular—and destructive—real estate bubbles of this century, Spain’s economy is once again being primed for another property boom.

Fabulous!
Did you actually read beyond the headlines?
No? Thought not.
Your second "find" was from the Financial Tribune, which styles itself "The First Iranian Economic Daily"!!!!
The article concludes
"In Spain today there are roughly two million fewer people under the age of 40 in full-time employment than there were in 2006, due to a variety of factors: demographics (i.e. there are now fewer people under the age of 40), rampant job destruction, and the mass exodus of young Spaniards to greener pastures. Even for many of those that chose to stay behind and actually found work, the reality is still alarmingly bleak: according to the Spanish daily ABC, of the 1.7 million job contracts signed in December last year, over 92% were for temporary jobs.
If Spain’s new, dwindling generation of 'workers' cannot afford to leave home, who will buy or rent the properties sitting idle on the balance sheets of the banks, “bad bank” Sareb, and the global private equity firms that piled into the market a few years ago. And the banks cannot exactly dump all the properties they own onto the market at one time, since it would push prices down, leading to balance sheet mayhem, though it would make prices and rents more affordable and would thus help solve the affordability issue
."

amideislas May 24th 2017 10:18 am

Yes, of course I read it. The point was in response to your implication that everything will be the same post-brexit (e.g., continuing to buy holiday homes). Unfortunately, it won't be the same at all.

And I added that link for the benefit of those who would claim Spain will struggle to survive post-brexit (again, the stereotypically self-indulgent British belief that everything's dependent upon Britain, which satisfies the inferiority complex, and provides some illusory vindication).

lutonlad May 24th 2017 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12259429)
Fabulous!
Did you actually read beyond the headlines?
No? Thought not.
Your second "find" was from the Financial Tribune, which styles itself "The First Iranian Economic Daily"!!!!
The article concludes
"In Spain today there are roughly two million fewer people under the age of 40 in full-time employment than there were in 2006, due to a variety of factors: demographics (i.e. there are now fewer people under the age of 40), rampant job destruction, and the mass exodus of young Spaniards to greener pastures. Even for many of those that chose to stay behind and actually found work, the reality is still alarmingly bleak: according to the Spanish daily ABC, of the 1.7 million job contracts signed in December last year, over 92% were for temporary jobs.
If Spain’s new, dwindling generation of 'workers' cannot afford to leave home, who will buy or rent the properties sitting idle on the balance sheets of the banks, “bad bank” Sareb, and the global private equity firms that piled into the market a few years ago. And the banks cannot exactly dump all the properties they own onto the market at one time, since it would push prices down, leading to balance sheet mayhem, though it would make prices and rents more affordable and would thus help solve the affordability issue
."

Very selective with her 'news' is Madge from Magaluf. Bit like a modern day Lord Haw Haw :rofl:

EMR May 24th 2017 10:27 am

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12259438)
Very selective with her 'news' is Madge from Magaluf. Bit like a modern day Lord Haw Haw :rofl:

How anymore selective than the majority of our brexit supporters.
Hilda from Harrow, Dick from who knows where etc etc..

amideislas May 24th 2017 10:28 am

I interpret your lack of any tangible argument as a white flag. Thanks.

InVinoVeritas May 24th 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259434)
Yes, of course I read it.

I think you forgot to add :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

amideislas May 24th 2017 10:50 am

So, no further debate? Good. Let's move on...

This just in:

$55bn fund manager BlueBay betting big against pound sterling as hard departure 'looks likely'

The pound is heading lower whatever the outcome of the UK election, according to BlueBay Asset Management.

Or, if you prefer the Bloomberg version:

BlueBay Turns Short Pound as 'All Roads' Point to Hard Brexit

lutonlad May 24th 2017 11:16 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12259441)
How anymore selective than the majority of our brexit supporters.
Hilda from Harrow, Dick from who knows where etc etc..

The thing is EMR, we may be on different sides of the Brexit fence but I am nevertheless interested in your views even if I don't agree with many of them.

However, the diatribe of anti British claptrap spouted by one on here, tends to discredit the debate.

amideislas May 24th 2017 11:32 am

Read the news. Britain demonstrates its famous self absorption on a daily basis, and has for decades. Brexit has only served to exaggerate it further. And its a never-ending saga now. And that's why it's topical.

Bipat May 24th 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259501)
Read the news. Britain demonstrates its famous self absorption on a daily basis, and has for decades. Brexit has only served to exaggerate it further. And its a never-ending saga now. And that's why it's topical.

The newspapers of all countries consist mainly of local news don't they??

InVinoVeritas May 24th 2017 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259465)
So, no further debate? Good. Let's move on...

This just in:

$55bn fund manager BlueBay betting big against pound sterling as hard departure 'looks likely'

The pound is heading lower whatever the outcome of the UK election, according to BlueBay Asset Management.

Or, if you prefer the Bloomberg version:

BlueBay Turns Short Pound as 'All Roads' Point to Hard Brexit

We've been talking on this thread for some while about the increasing possibility of a hard Brexit. Why would a fund manager wait until now to sell sterling short? But what if he has already sold sterling short and then found that GBP stays in a very narrow trading band, what does he do next - of course, he does his very best to talk it down.

Sadly some mugs on here suck this up and then post it like it's pearls of wisdom before swine. Please, Ami, get a life oustide of the headlines and quit with the anti-Brit rhetoric - it's making you look stupid. :fingerscrossed:

amideislas May 24th 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12259512)
The newspapers of all countries consist mainly of local news don't they??

True, but Britain's media has always been "special". Generally painting a picture of Britain (and Brits) as the defacto standard by which all things are compared (and admired). "fog in the channel" is an icon of that. And you see it reflected in the behaviour of many Brits (e.g., posts here). The "Brits abroad" stereotype is another good example of how it's manifested over time, and I see examples of it often.

Before I left England, I was also one who embraced the notion that Britishness was the defacto world standard of comparison. Until of course, I realised that it was only true in Britain, and much of the rest of the world, while each harbouring nationalist sentiments in one way or another, aren't anywhere near as self-absorbed as Brits.

The Americans are one exception, but it doesn't strike me as arrogance (in the British way). More akin to ignorance than arrogance. They just don't leave their country all that often, and when they do, they tend to embrace rather than disdain. Or learn something new. And although they currently have nutjobs running the country, the Yanks do possess serious politico-economic influence. Britain isn't anywhere near that powerful, which may explain why Britain has to keep reminding itself how great it is.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world just looks on with rolleyes... And you can be sure that with respect to Brexit, all the things Brits are famous for aren't evading their consciousness.