British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric May 24th 2017 7:41 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12258985)
When people started drowning in the Med, Angela Merkel UNILATERALLY decided that the outer borders of Europe would be thrown open and that anyone and everyone was welcome to come.

No discussion. No agreement.

That is indeed the popular myth.

However, it ignores a number of inconvenient truths, principally that people were drowning in the Med years before Angela Merkel did what she did, that the crisis had been building to a crescendo throughout 2015 prior to her announcement and that she did no such thing with regard to the outer borders of Europe, over which she has no power whatsoever. What she did, in fact, do was to temporarily suspend the enforcement by Germany of the Dublin procedure for some specific nationalities - and the Dublin procedure, as I'm sure you're aware, applies to asylum seekers already arrived in EU territory.

DaveLovesDee May 24th 2017 8:08 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12259279)
That is indeed the popular myth.

However, it ignores a number of inconvenient truths, principally that people were drowning in the Med years before Angela Merkel did what she did, that the crisis had been building to a crescendo throughout 2015 prior to her announcement and that she did no such thing with regard to the outer borders of Europe, over which she has no power whatsoever. What she did, in fact, do was to temporarily suspend the enforcement by Germany of the Dublin procedure for some specific nationalities - and the Dublin procedure, as I'm sure you're aware, applies to asylum seekers already arrived in EU territory.

:goodpost::goodpost::thumbsup:

InVinoVeritas May 24th 2017 8:12 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259273)
Well, it does explain a lot about Brexit, why the leave camp needed to fabricate the illusion of European inferiority (to "reclaim" British superiority) to make its case. ... Plus, it's a common British stereotype. The Germans have a saying (paraphrased), "people of greatness don't need to pretend they are".

Anyway, that's not what I was responding to; it was another tactic commonly exhibited in the Brexit mantra.

I honestly don't think you understand the British psyche any better than Shaj Mathew, the author of that piece which so inspired you.

The British have neither inferiority nor superiority complexes as a general rule. What they have is pride, possible far too much, but it has proved useful in the past.

amideislas May 24th 2017 8:18 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
OK, well, tell that to "the rest of the world". Many seem to have embraced those stereotypes. Maybe a little humility will help (you need not bother yourself with that though. It's on its way).

Anyway... Another of the seemingly endless associations with the stereotypical British psyche:

Great Britain’s Dangerous Attitude Problem

Scamp May 24th 2017 8:20 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12259279)
That is indeed the popular myth.

However, it ignores a number of inconvenient truths, principally that people were drowning in the Med years before Angela Merkel did what she did, that the crisis had been building to a crescendo throughout 2015 prior to her announcement and that she did no such thing with regard to the outer borders of Europe, over which she has no power whatsoever. What she did, in fact, do was to temporarily suspend the enforcement by Germany of the Dublin procedure for some specific nationalities - and the Dublin procedure, as I'm sure you're aware, applies to asylum seekers already arrived in EU territory.

I think your wasting your breath with that one.

InVinoVeritas May 24th 2017 8:26 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259308)
OK, well, tell that to "the rest of the world". Many seem to have embraced those stereotypes.

I think you are wrong but if you want to continually find fault with the UK and its people then I guess you will just keep trawling the web for similar articles.

amideislas May 24th 2017 8:35 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12259317)
I think you are wrong but if you want to continually find fault with the UK and its people then I guess you will just keep trawling the web for similar articles.

The UK (well, England, and its current government) does a pretty good job of exhibiting faults (but blaming them on everyone else). You might have noticed that it recently fabricated and led the entire union into what could be the most damaging act of self-harm in British history, all because of those insecurities and fears you refuse to acknowledge.

And frankly, I've sufficiently illustrated the point. This is hardly my own imagination. It's an openly discussed topic amongst average people, academics and politicians of all stripes, everywhere. Although I doubt it's a popular topic in British media. They're much too focused on vindication to be objective.

InVinoVeritas May 24th 2017 8:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259321)
And frankly, I've sufficiently illustrated the point. This is hardly my own imagination.

It's certainly in your head - it's called a blindspot.

amideislas May 24th 2017 9:17 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12258884)
A) I really don't care what you think of my opinion.
B) Unlike you, many of us will continue to live next door to the EU, have holiday homes in the EU, and make regular visits to the EU. So, the evolution of the EU over the coming years is not irrelevant simply because the UK is stepping out.

Anyway, pertaining to your "opinion":


Brexit dims dreams of buying a holiday home in Spain


Fewer Britons are buying homes in Spain after the UK's vote to leave the EU

Funny though, that hasn't slowed the growth in sales of Spanish properties:

Spain Growth Primed for Another Property Bubble

After spending the last few years groggily getting back onto its feet following the collapse of one of the most spectacular—and destructive—real estate bubbles of this century, Spain’s economy is once again being primed for another property boom.

Red Eric May 24th 2017 9:21 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12259312)
I think your wasting your breath with that one.

You're right and no doubt it will just lead to the usual fireworks spectacular, in which any and every myth about asylum seekers and other assorted immigrants is given yet another airing, not to mention the launching of the rockets of EU freedom of movement, Schengen and Open Door Immigration Policy and culminating in the "So You'd Just Open the Floodgates and Let Everyone In?" Grande Finale.

Scamp May 24th 2017 9:53 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12259347)
You're right and no doubt it will just lead to the usual fireworks spectacular, in which any and every myth about asylum seekers and other assorted immigrants is given yet another airing, not to mention the launching of the rockets of EU freedom of movement, Schengen and Open Door Immigration Policy and culminating in the "So You'd Just Open the Floodgates and Let Everyone In?" Grande Finale.

Then someone will suggest building a wall, turning the boats around and maybe even using the retreating dinghies for target practice.

amideislas May 24th 2017 9:57 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12259332)
It's certainly in your head - it's called a blindspot.

Well, it seems those "blindspots" I've been offering are actually beginning to emerge into the wider consciousness.

One good example is my oft posted view that the populist fad is on the way out. Trumpism has shown its true colours (and is in serious trouble), Le Pen lost by a wide margin (and now is back peddling on many of her populist notions), and then there's Brexit, a decision taken in the very midst of the trendy populist fad. Although in Britain's case, its rather permanent. "So 2016".

Where did you first hear such nonsense being spewed? Some blinded lefty remoaner bitch on BE perhaps?

Why Donald Trump, Brexit and populism have already had their moment – and what comes next
It all feels very 2016

I've also said that Brexit could well be the catalyst that radically changes the collective British consciousness toward the unthinkable - a Labour (or other liberal party) government. And while that remains to be seen (and honestly, I don't think Labour is any less deluded than the Tories - both seem pretty radical and far from center), that prediction is completely unfathomable to most observers. For now... Until something dramatic takes place. Well, guess what? ...

Bipat May 24th 2017 10:30 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259381)
Well, it seems those "blindspots" I've been offering are actually beginning to emerge into the wider consciousness.

One good example is my oft posted view that the populist fad is on the way out. Trumpism has shown its true colours (and is in serious trouble), Le Pen lost by a wide margin (and now is back peddling on many of her populist notions), and then there's Brexit, a decision taken in the very midst of the trendy populist fad. Although in Britain's case, its rather permanent. "So 2016".

Where did you first hear such nonsense being spewed? Some blinded lefty remoaner bitch on BE perhaps?

Why Donald Trump, Brexit and populism have already had their moment – and what comes next
It all feels very 2016

I've also said that Brexit could well be the catalyst that radically changes the collective British consciousness toward the unthinkable - a Labour (or other liberal party) government. And while that remains to be seen (and honestly, I don't think Labour is any less deluded than the Tories - both seem pretty radical and far from center), that prediction is completely unfathomable to most observers. For now... Until something dramatic takes place. Well, guess what? ...


I think you are trawling the web for links!
The above is nonsense---"or other liberal party"--what does that actually mean?
A Labour Government we have had regular Labour Governments before, we may well eventually have one again --hardly "unthinkable"!
The rest of the link has just three sentences about Brexit.

Your 'property' link---What percentage of the British population wish to buy property in Spain?

The 'Great Britain's Dangerous Attitude' link contains inaccuracies regarding Mrs May's trip abroad.

amideislas May 24th 2017 10:45 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Hardly "trawling". It's no work at all. New stuff is published daily.. All recent (within hours in some cases), and top the list of search results for the term "Brexit".

Reports reflecting my views are so ubiquitous, that I *could* post links to literally thousands of similar articles, but I exercise quite a bit of discretion in terms of quantity and quality.

And if people want to make unsubstantiated claims, they really ought to do their homework first, because if it's just what they "want to believe", reality has a funny way of sorting that out for them

Golden Years May 24th 2017 10:52 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12259212)
Stop fooling yourself. Germany was also a great and global exporter while still having​the strong Deutsche Mark.And it still is a great and global exporter while being in the debilitating EU, setting new records even while trading under the "EU rules". BTW, you are aware that the economies of EUmember states are growing faster than the economy of the US ....major reason for this is growing trade with Non-EU countries....this all under the terrible debilitating EU rules. Should we talk to the Pope again or can you finally admit that it isn't and never was EU rules that kept the UK from trading globally.

What a naïve perspective.
Germany is the winner in the euro game. If it still had the deutschemark it would have become less competitive as its strong economy would have caused its currency to revalue.
However, now Germany gets to price its products in euro, where the currency is held back by having weaker countries like Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal in the blend.
Whether this "beggar your neighbour" attitude in Germany is subconscious or not is a moot point. Eventually they will have to use their huge trade surplus to finance the rest of the Eurozone.
Not to be discussed, of course, until after their elections!


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:36 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.