British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas May 23rd 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12258983)
Still no.

Take some temazepam.

Who is it that has dozens of red top front pages to hand all the time? It's you, isn't it?

How do you get your weird lefty views on your diet of red tops?

Are you bipolar? I bet you are.

Explains the overt inferiority complex for sure.

lgm, I'm hardly a 'Lefty', and even Mr. Lefty himself, Eric will vouch for that.

By the way, statistically, the "red tops" are Britain's most consumed media, which explains the "unique" British perspective of the world.

And the famous British inferiority complex which lead to Brexit is hardly a secret. Accusing others of it is rather hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

la mancha May 23rd 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259016)
lgm, I'm hardly a 'Lefty', and even Mr. Lefty himself, Eric will vouch for that.

By the way, statistically, the "red tops" are Britain's most consumed media, which explains the "unique" British perspective of the world.

And the famous British inferiority complex which lead to Brexit is hardly a secret. Accusing others of it is rather hypocritical, wouldn't you say?

'famous British inferiority complex'

Come on, Ami, this is getting really silly...

SultanOfSwing May 23rd 2017 9:43 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12259005)
Oh it's certainly not stupid to refuse to do as another idiot asks. Especially the sort of idiot that can't even see that they do exactly as they criticise someone else for doing.

Citation needed ...


Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12259005)
I suppose you are all high and mighty now someone has taken the mantle of bombing Manchester buildings away from your friends and neighbours?

Seriously - kindly take this attitude, roll it up into a point and jam it up your arse.

Remove your head first, though.

amideislas May 23rd 2017 9:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12259012)
Re airlines post-brexit, not to have an agreement in place would be a disaster for everyone. I took some snippets from some aviation reports.

'The UK is currently by far the most significant contributor of air passenger traffic within the EU. UK passengers account for around one third of all intra-EU journeys, and around one quarter of all journeys from the EU to third countries. UK passengers make a significant contribution to the EU economy as tourists (notably in Mediterranean destinations) facilitated by unfettered air access – with the travel balance heavily outbound, with around 54 million UK-to-EU round trips in 2015, compared with 26 million EU-to-UK round trip.'

'If the UK loses automatic rights to fly to the EU it is important to note that these rights are reciprocal and ECAA carriers would lose their automatic rights to fly to the UK.'

'The most important point for all sides to remember is that less competitive aviation markets would mean higher ticket prices for all passengers, not just the British, further reducing demand and connectivity – creating a feedback loop that would damage the European economy as a whole.'

These are not my words.

That's nice, manch, but who would want to fly to the UK? And tourists, well, almost everybody (else) can afford trips abroad, especially if the UK becomes really really cheap.

I'm beginning to think brexit is a good thing after all,!

la mancha May 23rd 2017 9:52 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259024)
That's nice, manch, but who would want to fly to the UK? And tourists, well, almost everybody (else) can afford trips abroad, especially if the UK becomes really really cheap.

I'm beginning to think brexit is a good thing after all,!

I'm beginning to think you don't know what you are talking about. But I have had my suspicions for some time now...

amideislas May 23rd 2017 9:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12259026)
I'm beginning to think you don't know what you are talking about. But I have had my suspicions for some time now...

I've suspected for some time that *your* entire problem with me is that I in fact *do* know what I'm talking about.

By the way: the only thing "center of the universe" about England is GMT. Otherwise, it's a small island nation. You'd be well served to start coming to grips with that reality. Because you just voted to become it. And won.

la mancha May 23rd 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259031)
I've suspected for some time that *your* entire problem with me is that I in fact *do* know what I'm talking about.

By the way: the only thing "center of the universe" about England us GMT. Otherwise, it's a small island nation. You'd be well served to start coming to grips with that reality. Because you just voted to become it. And won.

You do??? You flatter yourself too much.

Read my post again. I was not making the point of people flying to the UK. I am making the point of UK customers flying to the EU.

'The UK is currently by far the most significant contributor of air passenger traffic within the EU. UK passengers account for around one third of all intra-EU journeys,…’

‘…higher ticket prices for all passengers, not just the British, further reducing demand and connectivity – creating a feedback loop that would damage the European economy as a whole.'

‘UK passengers make a significant contribution to the EU economy as tourists…’

And you come back with, ‘but who would want to fly to the UK?’

Your last paragraph is so pathetic...always fall back to these kind of silly remarks when you know you are wrong.

EMR May 23rd 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12258971)
There were many reasons for the Brexit vote, discussed at length on this Forum.
One reason the UK sells less is because of currency differences, making exports, for example Germany, cheaper for overseas consumers.
" Little will change", perhaps a "little" will be a start?

Sterling has fallen so exports should be increasing.
The trade game between imports and exports widened last month.
Exchange rates will not enable the UK to sell when it has neither the products or the capacity to manufacture the products other nations can buy from elsewhere.
Brexit will not change that.

amideislas May 23rd 2017 10:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12259037)
You do??? You flatter yourself too much.

Read my post again. I was not making the point of people flying to the UK. I am making the point of UK customers flying to the EU.

'The UK is currently by far the most significant contributor of air passenger traffic within the EU. UK passengers account for around one third of all intra-EU journeys,…’

‘…higher ticket prices for all passengers, not just the British, further reducing demand and connectivity – creating a feedback loop that would damage the European economy as a whole.'

‘UK passengers make a significant contribution to the EU economy as tourists…’

And you come back with, ‘but who would want to fly to the UK?’

Your last paragraph is so pathetic...always fall back to these kind of silly remarks when you know you are wrong.

That's nice, manch. Have a good sleep. Nighty night.

Assanah May 24th 2017 4:14 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12258971)
There were many reasons for the Brexit vote, discussed at length on this Forum.
One reason the UK sells less is because of currency differences, making exports, for example Germany, cheaper for overseas consumers.
" Little will change", perhaps a "little" will be a start?

Stop fooling yourself. Germany was also a great and global exporter while still having​the strong Deutsche Mark.And it still is a great and global exporter while being in the debilitating EU, setting new records even while trading under the "EU rules". BTW, you are aware that the economies of EUmember states are growing faster than the economy of the US ....major reason for this is growing trade with Non-EU countries....this all under the terrible debilitating EU rules. Should we talk to the Pope again or can you finally admit that it isn't and never was EU rules that kept the UK from trading globally.

amideislas May 24th 2017 5:42 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12259020)
'famous British inferiority complex'

Come on, Ami, this is getting really silly...

This may help explain:

Brexit Exposes Britain’s Massive Inferiority Complex


...the memory of imperial dominance is important because it brings nostalgia for a stronger Britain, the Britain that supposedly once was. “They’re talking about Britain reasserting itself, Britain being a world power again, Britain not needing anyone else,” Oxford historian Margaret MacMillan recently told Christiane Amanpour. “They’re talking about the glorious Elizabethan Age; they’re talking about the time that Britain ruled the world. It’s a fake sort of nostalgia because of course it doesn’t take into account the complexities [of the situation].”

Ersatz nostalgia like this has led to an overly simplistic understanding of how to resolve the EU issue. MacMillan characterized the “Leave” perspective as: “Let’s disentangle ourselves from his ghastly organization called Europe and suddenly everything will be all right.” With so many connected issues at play—immigration, trade, sovereignty, employment, and wages, among others—Brexit affords a nation in flux a simple way to reassert its identity: negative definition.

The UK is not Europe; the economic crises and hotbeds of extremism are over there, not here. This is not about trade agreements: Brexit is a reckless attempt to reclaim the UK’s self-esteem by going it alone.

InVinoVeritas May 24th 2017 5:52 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259246)
This may help explain:

Brexit Exposes Britain’s Massive Inferiority Complex


...the memory of imperial dominance is important because it brings nostalgia for a stronger Britain, the Britain that supposedly once was. “They’re talking about Britain reasserting itself, Britain being a world power again, Britain not needing anyone else,” Oxford historian Margaret MacMillan recently told Christiane Amanpour. “They’re talking about the glorious Elizabethan Age; they’re talking about the time that Britain ruled the world. It’s a fake sort of nostalgia because of course it doesn’t take into account the complexities [of the situation].”

Ersatz nostalgia like this has led to an overly simplistic understanding of how to resolve the EU issue. MacMillan characterized the “Leave” perspective as: “Let’s disentangle ourselves from his ghastly organization called Europe and suddenly everything will be all right.” With so many connected issues at play—immigration, trade, sovereignty, employment, and wages, among others—Brexit affords a nation in flux a simple way to reassert its identity: negative definition.

The UK is not Europe; the economic crises and hotbeds of extremism are over there, not here. This is not about trade agreements: Brexit is a reckless attempt to reclaim the UK’s self-esteem by going it alone.

Jesus Ami, you're the first to reject convenient articles dredged up from the internet by Brexiters and here you are quoting a second-year Ph.D. student in comparative literature at Yale :eek:

It weakens your arguments that you rely on such low-quality data.

Red Eric May 24th 2017 6:12 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12259016)
lgm, I'm hardly a 'Lefty', and even Mr. Lefty himself, Eric will vouch for that.

I'll happily vouch for the fact that you are, by no stretch of the imagination, a lefty, although the use of "even" there implies that a rightie would actually be a better choice of guarantor. A strong but sensible one would serve best.

Not at all sure about my own qualifications as Mr Lefty :unsure: although if that simply means being able to actually discuss some of the politics and personalities of the left (as opposed to dissolving into laughter, abuse and ridicule or engaging in deliberate distortion and misrepresentation) then I suppose it's understandable that I might be seen that way by some. I don't actually post much by way of lefty comment on here though - it's more just questioning silly assertions than actually standing up for or promoting a particular political line.

amideislas May 24th 2017 6:31 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12259249)
Jesus Ami, you're the first to reject convenient articles dredged up from the internet by Brexiters and here you are quoting a second-year Ph.D. student in comparative literature at Yale :eek:

It weakens your arguments that you rely on such low-quality data.


Well, it does explain a lot about Brexit, why the leave camp needed to fabricate the illusion of European inferiority (to "reclaim" British superiority) to make its case. ... Plus, it's a common British stereotype. The Germans have a saying (paraphrased), "people of greatness don't need to pretend they are".

Anyway, that's not what I was responding to; it was another tactic commonly exhibited in the Brexit mantra.

amideislas May 24th 2017 6:35 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12259264)
I'll happily vouch for the fact that you are, by no stretch of the imagination, a lefty, although the use of "even" there implies that a rightie would actually be a better choice of guarantor. A strong but sensible one would serve best.

Not at all sure about my own qualifications as Mr Lefty :unsure: although if that simply means being able to actually discuss some of the politics and personalities of the left (as opposed to dissolving into laughter, abuse and ridicule or engaging in deliberate distortion and misrepresentation) then I suppose it's understandable that I might be seen that way by some. I don't actually post much by way of lefty comment on here though - it's more just questioning silly assertions than actually standing up for or promoting a particular political line.

;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:19 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.