British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

iano May 23rd 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12258552)
Still no sign of the Remain plan then?.

To influence the direction and reform of the EU (yes, it does need it) from within, at the table, arguing our case and standing our corner as a European 'heavyweight'. Enjoying our status by being indulged with multiple opt-outs of anything we don't particularly fancy. (Schengen, closer union, Euro).

Around 375,000 UK companies continuing to compete and trade within the single market with zero trade barriers, nil customs duties and tariffs. A thriving marketplace of 500 million people, right on our very doorstep.

FDI continuing with multinationals choosing an English-speaking hub with unfettered access to the EU single market.

Erasmus, shared science, research, environmental standards, clean air, clean beaches, deprived area uplift and protected workers rights.

Now you and your ilk are taking us off this course, so I'll ask again, where's the plan ?

lgm1963 May 23rd 2017 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12258582)
To influence the direction and reform of the EU (yes, it does need it) from within, at the table, arguing our case and standing our corner as a European 'heavyweight'. Enjoying our status by being indulged with multiple opt-outs of anything we don't particularly fancy. (Schengen, closer union, Euro).

Around 375,000 UK companies continuing to compete and trade within the single market with zero trade barriers, nil customs duties and tariffs. A thriving marketplace of 500 million people, right on our very doorstep.

FDI continuing with multinationals choosing an English-speaking hub with unfettered access to the EU single market.

Erasmus, shared science, research, environmental standards, clean air, clean beaches, deprived area uplift and protected workers rights.

Now you and your ilk are taking us off this course, so I'll ask again, what's your plan ?

So, to recap, your plan is that the EU works towards total economic, social, legal and political union while dragging its second biggest contributor kicking and screaming behind it because those aims were not what the UK wanted.

They were NEVER going to be detracted from their aims by us staying put and pretending to shape the EU.

Sounds like your plan was the reason for Brexit.

EMR May 23rd 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12258590)
So, to recap, your plan is that the EU works towards total economic, social, legal and political union while dragging its second biggest contributor kicking and screaming behind it because those aims were not what the UK wanted.

They were NEVER going to be detracted from their aims by us staying put and pretending to shape the EU.

Sounds like your plan was the reason for Brexit.

IHarry Potter is less of a fantasy than your post.
But you voted to leave so have given up any reason to complain about the final version of Brexit.
It's what you voted for..

iano May 23rd 2017 12:46 pm

The day when German and French taxpayers willingly stump up to subsidise Romanian and Greek pensioners is a long, long way off, if ever.

A Federal Europe won't ever happen without the assent of its people, and as the EU is made up of democratic, sovereign nations, difficult to imagine any time soon.

Anyhow, where's the plan for Berxit ?

amideislas May 23rd 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12258552)
Still no sign of the Remain plan then?

I'm gonna keep asking as long as the Remoaners keep asking for the Leave plan.

"Remain" plan? You mean what Britain was doing, quite successfully?

Well, there's no need for any "remain" plan now. Change of "plan". We shall now focus on damage control for the foreseeable future.

Golden Years May 23rd 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12258598)
The day when German and French taxpayers willingly stump up to subsidise Romanian and Greek pensioners is a long, long way off, if ever.

A Federal Europe won't ever happen without the assent of its people, and as the EU is made up of democratic, sovereign nations, difficult to imagine any time soon.

Anyhow, where's the plan for Berxit ?

It's worse than that.
Macron wants the German taxpayer to subsidise the French pensioner.

amideislas May 23rd 2017 2:33 pm

Worse than that, the EU wants the UK to merge with France.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Idc-O0yU1X.../110502exp.jpg

And wipe Britain off the map

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZEglaQePca.../120504exp.jpg

And Kate, too apparently.

Golden Years May 23rd 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12258706)
Worse than that, the EU wants the UK to merge with France.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Idc-O0yU1X.../110502exp.jpg

And wipe Britain off the map

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZEglaQePca.../120504exp.jpg

Henry Cooper died in May 2011.
I'm pleased you are a fan of recycling old newspapers.

Oh, and the first wedding anniversary of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge was April 29th 2012.
Your attic must be as full as your hard drive!

SultanOfSwing May 23rd 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12258710)
Henry Cooper died in May 2011.
I'm pleased you are a fan of recycling old newspapers.

Oh, and the first wedding anniversary of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge was April 29th 2012.
Your attic must be as full as your hard drive!

Amazingly you seem to be perfectly OK with the complete bollocks masquerading as news headlines, though.

I mean, they may be old, but BS is BS. It's not as if the Express has suddenly turned into a real newspaper in the past 6 years anyway.

amideislas May 23rd 2017 2:54 pm

Since when does time or truth matter?

The "alternate fact" is, that it's a good job Britain is getting out before all these secret nonexistent EU (Franco-German dictatorship) plots that we all know about... finally come to fruition. Right?

Strong and stable. Strong and stable...

Golden Years May 23rd 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12258717)
Amazingly you seem to be perfectly OK with the complete bollocks masquerading as news headlines, though.

I mean, they may be old, but BS is BS. It's not as if the Express has suddenly turned into a real newspaper in the past 6 years anyway.

Sorry, what am I OK with?
The news item was rubbish six years ago, it is of even less value today.
The reason for pointing out its age was to emphasise that the poster was scraping the barrel.

SultanOfSwing May 23rd 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12258738)
Sorry, what am I OK with?
The news item was rubbish six years ago, it is of even less value today.
The reason for pointing out its age was to emphasise that the poster was scraping the barrel.

Consider the source, we're dealing with the Express here, scraping the barrel is the name of the game.

It was an example of the kind of bollocks that poor excuse for bog roll printed and continues to print. I think it's perfectly valid in that context.

Golden Years May 23rd 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12258747)
Consider the source, we're dealing with the Express here, scraping the barrel is the name of the game.

It was an example of the kind of bollocks that poor excuse for bog roll printed and continues to print. I think it's perfectly valid in that context.

Sigh.
The "context" was my belief that the EU "direction of travel" is towards, effectively, it becoming a Greater Germany.
That led to my comment that Macron wants the German taxpayer to fund the French pensioner not just the Greek or the Romanian ones.
Our Mallorcan poster, exaggerating deliberately, said it was worse than that and, in fact, the EU wants (present tense) to merge the UK with France according to the Daily Express.
I pointed out the dates of those front pages, based on other news stories, to show that they were not only absurd but very old to boot.

lgm1963 May 23rd 2017 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12258593)
IHarry Potter is less of a fantasy than your post.
But you voted to leave so have given up any reason to complain about the final version of Brexit.
It's what you voted for..

It is.

And I am very happy with it.

It's not me constantly moaning and whining and preaching doom and gloom.

It's your lot doing that lol.

lgm1963 May 23rd 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12258638)
"Remain" plan? You mean what Britain was doing, quite successfully?

Well, there's no need for any "remain" plan now. Change of "plan". We shall now focus on damage control for the foreseeable future.

We?

I thought you had buggered off somewhere sunny and left "us" to deal with and pay for the failed EU project.

Leaving the EU is exactly damage control. Fixing the damage caused by being in the EU and its chronic inability to sort out the basics.

Britain was successful DESPITE the EU, not because of it.