British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

iano May 16th 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12253890)
Now, this is all on negative speculation that the UK will leave the EU full stop. Imagine the effect of when it does.

'Imagine the effect'.

For the life of me, I can't envisage any positive economic effect whatsoever.

Willing to be persuaded though, perhaps our Brexiteers will assuage that concern. Just leave out the 'Global Britain' lolbloks, have heard it all before.

iano May 16th 2017 4:21 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12253901)
Exactly, they complain about GBP being low and ignore the fact the UK economy has been surprisingly robust since Brexit.

We know that you meant the Referendum result, vino. Since which time exports have done well for obvious reasons.

Assuming the hard Brexit mantra becomes reality how do you see the UK economy maintaining its 'robustness' ?

Serious question.

EMR May 16th 2017 4:22 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12253901)
Exactly, they complain about GBP being low and ignore the fact the UK economy has been surprisingly robust since Brexit. They don't seem able to connect the two events. Carney took action to keep GBP competitive, something he certainly wouldn't have been able to do if we'd been stuck with the EUR.

More nonsense from Vino.

Carney cut interest rates in an effort to boost the economy following the fall in confidence post brexit vote.
The EU has no say in UK interest rate policy , never has done.
Do you know anything about the financial markets.

Bipat May 16th 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12253890)
There's s lot more going on than devaluation. Inflation, of course, wages are flat, property sales falling, exports are leveling off, job growth is flattening, and perhaps most importantly, a stagnation of foreign investment.

Now, this is all on negative speculation that the UK will leave the EU full stop. Imagine the effect of when it does.

Anyway, not directly related, but thus illustrates what a tricky position Ms. May finds herself in (if she even bothers to conduct reality checks).

"Stagnation of foreign investment"?

Foreign investors back Brexit Britain

InVinoVeritas May 16th 2017 4:29 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12253910)
"Stagnation of foreign investment"?

Foreign investors back Brexit Britain

Not much point in correcting Knock-Knock Britain (aka Ami)

la mancha May 16th 2017 4:43 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12253796)
It's not behind a paywall for me.

Anyway, you're always threatening that Britain will quit buying European goods. Even posting links to (understandable) concerns from EU businesses who sell to the UK.

But you (and they) dismiss the fact that for UK importers to establish all new (reliable) supply chains from afar is no easy task, and frankly will be equally, if not more expensive. The UK isn't going to stop buying European goods anytime soon. And certainly not for the sake of waving the union jack with "pride". And frankly, even in the all-but-existentially insane event that Britain would vindictively ban European imports, the effect on the EU, while non-trivial, is hardly existential.

Britain voted to leave. Warts and all. It's not "entitled" to "benefits" for leaving. Brexit means Brexit. You voted for it, so, live with it, whatever it means.

Let me look at this again. I am not threatening anything. I am repeating reports I read in Spanish newspapers from Spanish businesses regarding how Brexit will affect them, and they are not too confident. I do not write these reports.

I have posted, from your link which I saw in another media report, that a third of British businesses polled in your linked report said they were looking to break off with EU suppliers and find UK suppliers instead. Many more will be looking outside of the EU for suppliers. It is your link. Read it.

Re the more expensive cost of non-EU goods, if they are to be, as you suggest, equally expensive, then what is the problem? And if they are to be more expensive, can you give me some examples of price differences?

No one wants benefits for leaving. All I am saying is, taking note from your link, many UK firms are now looking outside of the EU for suppliers, something that may accelerate in the coming two years. This is good news for small UK businesses and employment, which hopefully will seep through to the British working population. Who cares if this will impact on the EU and Eurozone nations and whether it is trivial or existential or anything? That is now your problem, not ours. You live with it.

Golden Years May 16th 2017 4:54 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12253909)
More nonsense from Vino.

Carney cut interest rates in an effort to boost the economy following the fall in confidence post brexit vote.
The EU has no say in UK interest rate policy , never has done.
Do you know anything about the financial markets.

Interest rate policy in the Eurozone is set by Germany.
They have deliberately partnered their very strong currency with a group of weaker ones, the net result being they can export in Euros rather than Deutschemarks and reap the benefit.
Germany has become an economic rogue nation, running up a massive trade surplus knowing that the normal balance mechanism of a strengthening currency to choke off demand can no longer happen.
It is the flip side of the situation where poorly performing economies such as Italy and Spain can no longer devalue their way to prosperity.
Against this background the action or inaction of the ECB has a direct bearing on UK interest rate policy in the same way as the Bundesbank used to do.

EMR May 16th 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12253910)
"Stagnation of foreign investment"?

Foreign investors back Brexit Britain

It's the Brexit Torygraph, find a more accurate and balanced view please.
Can you provide any evidence of investment because of Brexit, because of the possible implementation of WTO rules with the EU.
Example.
The Torygraph has one slant on a EU court decision yet other site an almost opposite view.

The press is no longer a reliable source of information.

Dick Dasterdly May 16th 2017 5:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
68% are now pro-Brexit – Westmonster

Nuff said eh.

:thumbup:

EMR May 16th 2017 5:32 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12253952)

My cat is pro remain,100% are now pro remain, Gengie monster.

amideislas May 16th 2017 5:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12253926)
Let me look at this again. I am not threatening anything. I am repeating reports I read in Spanish newspapers from Spanish businesses regarding how Brexit will affect them, and they are not too confident. I do not write these reports.

I have posted, from your link which I saw in another media report, that a third of British businesses polled in your linked report said they were looking to break off with EU suppliers and find UK suppliers instead. Many more will be looking outside of the EU for suppliers. It is your link. Read it.

Re the more expensive cost of non-EU goods, if they are to be, as you suggest, equally expensive, then what is the problem? And if they are to be more expensive, can you give me some examples of price differences?

No one wants benefits for leaving. All I am saying is, taking note from your link, many UK firms are now looking outside of the EU for suppliers, something that may accelerate in the coming two years. This is good news for small UK businesses and employment, which hopefully will seep through to the British working population. Who cares if this will impact on the EU and Eurozone nations and whether it is trivial or existential or anything? That is now your problem, not ours. You live with it.

Business typically is in business to be in business, not to wave the union jack. If everything's more expensive, it wouldn't make good business sense to deliberately add cost by establishing new (untested) supply chains, simply to give the finger to EU suppliers.

This is the whole problem with Brexit. It's ideological, not practical. Nobody wins. Everybody loses. But I reckon it'll make certain voters feel better, regardless.

amideislas May 16th 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12253931)
Interest rate policy in the Eurozone is set by Germany.
They have deliberately partnered their very strong currency with a group of weaker ones, the net result being they can export in Euros rather than Deutschemarks and reap the benefit.
Germany has become an economic rogue nation, running up a massive trade surplus knowing that the normal balance mechanism of a strengthening currency to choke off demand can no longer happen.
It is the flip side of the situation where poorly performing economies such as Italy and Spain can no longer devalue their way to prosperity.
Against this background the action or inaction of the ECB has a direct bearing on UK interest rate policy in the same way as the Bundesbank used to do.

http://img3.rnkr-static.com/list_img...be-true-u1.jpg

Red Eric May 16th 2017 5:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12253828)
But for Remainers, they have an orgasm on hearing anything detrimental about Britain. Fortunately their 'drive' should be suppressed come June 9th.

Since when did being dubious about accepting that all Brexit information has to pass the good news filter turn into that? :confused:

Bipat May 16th 2017 5:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12253941)
It's the Brexit Torygraph, find a more accurate and balanced view please.
Can you provide any evidence of investment because of Brexit, because of the possible implementation of WTO rules with the EU.
Example.
The Torygraph has one slant on a EU court decision yet other site an almost opposite view.

The press is no longer a reliable source of information.

My post was answering the posters statement "stagnation" of foreign investment. The link was to refute this, not investment "because" of Brexit.

The biggest foreign investors in the UK are well known, I have put enough links in the 'segregated' thread about the third largest.

Which sources of information are you willing to read then I can find something for you?

Red Eric May 16th 2017 6:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12253901)
Exactly, they complain about GBP being low and ignore the fact the UK economy has been surprisingly robust since Brexit. They don't seem able to connect the two events. Carney took action to keep GBP competitive, something he certainly wouldn't have been able to do if we'd been stuck with the EUR.

The last time the UK looked like being stuck with the EUR was in 1992. Probably seems quite recent to some but it was in fact a quarter of a century ago, so it's almost ancient history and hardly a relevant point any more, is it?

Good on the UK for having the foresight to drop out and stay out, though. Excellent move - pity they're not capitalising on the advantage the combination of that plus EU membership plus the rebate plus the copped-outs gave them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:10 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.