British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric May 11th 2017 12:51 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12250413)
It's not good enough to expect poor people to cross national boundaries to pick carrots because some lazy bastard won't cross a county boundary to do the same job primarily because us taxpayers pay them to do nothing.

Which came first.

The low wages or the foreign workers?

Scamp May 11th 2017 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12250410)
To all the piss-takers on here, I would have thought the solution was obvious. Train homegrown youngsters instead of importing more than we need, so forcing down wages. And if there are any vacancies over we can offer them to EU and non-EU workers on an equal playing field.

So you're saying to keep wages higher, we should increase supply?

What happens if wages start to fall because of oversupply?
If they're all Brit workers, who the hell do you blame the poverty on?:eek:

lutonlad May 11th 2017 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12250446)
Which came first.

Do you set the loaded questions on the Matthew Wright prog by any chance?

Maybe there's a third option... such as 'lazy bastards'.

Red Eric May 11th 2017 1:13 pm

I worry more about the loaded answers.

For example, I don't think the relationship between work and the wages it pays is quite as simple as it's being in direct proportion to the size of the available pool of workers.

Nor do I think think it anywhere near the top of the list that people who aren't working are doing so because they're bone idle.

But I did have a very strong hunch that the moment Brexit was in the bag, welfare would be the next target ;)

amideislas May 11th 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12250459)

Maybe there's a third option... such as 'lazy bastards'.

Where have I heard that before?

Oh, I remember, inebriated, fat-arsed horribly sunburned people at beach bars in tacky union jack speedos, moaning that the foreign help are too lazy to learn or speak proper English (amongst other things).

EMR May 11th 2017 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12250413)
Just to add.....work needs to pay and it needs to pay better than welfare.

I'm all for supporting those who cannot work but those who can work but choose not to, benefit payment needs to be restricted timewise.

It's not good enough to expect poor people to cross national boundaries to pick carrots because some lazy bastard won't cross a county boundary to do the same job primarily because us taxpayers pay them to do nothing.

We must incentivise work, with stick and carrot.

So finally, it's nothing to do with the EU or immigrants ,its all the fault of lazy Brits.

Red Eric May 11th 2017 1:54 pm

Can someone remind me again, please - I've got a bit lost on this one? Is it OK or not OK to quote the Bank of England at the moment?

Bank of England warns Brexit vote will damage living standards

la mancha May 11th 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12250479)

Oh, I remember, inebriated, fat-arsed horribly sunburned people at beach bars in tacky union jack speedos, moaning that the foreign help are too lazy to learn or speak proper English (amongst other things).

Don’t you ever give up on the anti-British crap you post?

InVinoVeritas May 11th 2017 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12250479)

Your drinking buddies in Majorca-by-the-Sea :confused:

amideislas May 11th 2017 2:08 pm

Well, unlike the parade of anti-EU rhetoric (anti-everything, really) emulating from fantasy island, there's actually truth in what I've been illustrating.

What's particularly amusing is how these guys are wholly unaware that they're literally exemplifying the stereotypes. And of course, the irony thing.

I think Catherine Bowen said it best.

InVinoVeritas May 11th 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12250533)
Well, unlike the parade of anti-EU rhetoric (anti-everything, really) emulating from fantasy island, there's actually truth in what I've been illustrating.

What's particularly amusing is how these guys are wholly unaware that they're literally exemplifying the stereotypes. And of course, the irony thing.

I think Catherine Bowen said it best.

Whereas going to live in Majorca shows good taste :confused:

lgm1963 May 11th 2017 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12250446)
Which came first.

Neither.

The over generous welfare predated both.

Red Eric May 11th 2017 2:26 pm

Is there a limit to what you would be prepared to destroy in order to prove your theories and what would be your reaction if it all went horribly wrong (even by your own standards)?

lgm1963 May 11th 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12250550)
Is there a limit to what you would be prepared to destroy in order to prove your theories and what would be your reaction if it all went horribly wrong (even by your own standards)?

Was that aimed at me?

I will be unable to answer that question because I don;t concur with the idea that anything I propose is destructive.

Constructive. That's the word.

lutonlad May 11th 2017 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12250538)
Whereas going to live in Majorca shows good taste :confused:

Nuffink wrong with Shagaluf init :rofl:

Oh the irony!