British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee May 10th 2017 11:34 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12249494)
Tell us how our economy would work without private enterprise ?

1980's Russia?

la mancha May 10th 2017 12:46 pm

According to a Recruitment and Employment Confederation report Brexit is putting off EU workers taking a UK job. Ode to Joy!

EMR May 10th 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12249578)
According to a Recruitment and Employment Confederation report Brexit is putting off EU workers taking a UK job. Ode to Joy!

Of course you ignore the resulting skills and labour shortage that is impacting on the economy.

Scamp May 10th 2017 1:05 pm

Yessssss...now your poverty buddies can all work easily!:thumbsup:

Wait.

They don't want to?

What?

DaveLovesDee May 10th 2017 1:33 pm

Sky News - Brexit 'putting off' EU workers from taking a UK job - recruiters

Employers are finding it harder to fill jobs as workers become more reluctant to move jobs and EU nationals fret over future immigration rules, according to a study.

The Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) reported a growing Brexit influence on the jobs market.

It said while demand for permanent and temporary staff continued to grow, its research among 400 recruitment agencies recorded the steepest decline in candidate availability for 16 months in April.
One mention of EU nationals near the bottom of a 14+ paragraph report, yet they're the headline....

Here's the REC press release

“Demand for staff is growing within all sectors and all regions of the UK, but there are fewer and fewer people available to fill the vacancies. We have the lowest unemployment rate since 2005, and people already in work are becoming more hesitant about moving jobs amid Brexit uncertainty. Meanwhile, the weakening pound and lack of clarity about future immigration rules is putting off some EU nationals from taking up roles in the UK.
Even the Independent's getting in on the act.

The Independent - Brexit latest: Slowing immigration from European Union already hurting labour market say recruiters

Lion in Winter May 10th 2017 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12249613)
Yessssss...now your poverty buddies can all work easily!:thumbsup:

Wait.

They don't want to?

What?

Could it be that economies are now international, interdependent, and intertwined? That countries actually do better this way?

I mean, there must be some reason that every developed country in the known universe does it that way?

la mancha May 10th 2017 1:58 pm

But although hourly pay rates for short-term staff increased at the sharpest pace in 2017 so far, the REC said growth in permanent starting salaries had nudged four-month lows in April, it remained "sharp overall and stronger than the series average".

In case it has not registered with anyone, growth in permanent starting salaries had nudged four-month lows in April.

Bipat May 10th 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12249639)
Could it be that economies are now international, interdependent, and intertwined? That countries actually do better this way?

I mean, there must be some reason that every developed country in the known universe does it that way?

I think it depends [I]how much[/I] intertwined/interdependent doesn't it? I think there are valid opinions as to how much is too much.
Just for interest what is you definition of a "developed country"?

Golden Years May 10th 2017 2:27 pm

As a contribution to this discussion, the ECB said today that unemployment in the Eurozone was twice as high as those shown in official statistics.
This is having the effect of holding down wage growth there but it also suggests to me that Eurozone citizens abandoning the UK job market due to uncertainty could experience difficulty finding a new job upon their return home.
Ironically it could also provide the impetus for their less risk averse compatriots to take a job in the UK!
Euro zone unemployment higher than data show, capping wages: ECB study

lgm1963 May 10th 2017 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12249494)
Tell us how our economy would work without private enterprise ?

Private enterprise works without paying to join international trading clubs.

Are you being deliberately obtuse or is it worryingly inherent?

lgm1963 May 10th 2017 3:10 pm

There is no employer anywhere who will struggle to fill employment spaces if they pay a decent living wage.

The end.

EMR May 10th 2017 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12249712)

I think it is you suffering from a bit of obtuseNess.
How did TOYOTA, NISSAN, HONDA end up in the UK.
Because we are in the EU , 50% of their production ends up there, tarrif free.
Add a large number of other international companies who chose the UK for their EU base for the same reasons.

Plus of course you are ignoring the fact that our current government will sell the UK down the river in to desperation to get post brexit trade deals.

EMR May 10th 2017 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12249688)
As a contribution to this discussion, the ECB said today that unemployment in the Eurozone was twice as high as those shown in official statistics.
This is having the effect of holding down wage growth there but it also suggests to me that Eurozone citizens abandoning the UK job market due to uncertainty could experience difficulty finding a new job upon their return home.
Ironically it could also provide the impetus for their less risk averse compatriots to take a job in the UK!
Euro zone unemployment higher than data show, capping wages: ECB study

The UK has fiddled the unemployment figures for decades, all governments, Labour or Tory.

EMR May 10th 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12249714)
There is no employer anywhere who will struggle to fill employment spaces if they pay a decent living wage.

The end.

So it's OK to sit at home on benefits in your world is it ?
While EU migrants are prepared to work.

Garbatellamike May 10th 2017 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12249712)

I don't think there is anything deliberate about it :nod::nod: :sneaky::sneaky: