British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

iano May 9th 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12248500)
So you think UK taxpayers money is better spent building roads and bridges in Romania instead of funding teachers and nurses in the UK? Interesting.

What a short-sighted and simplistic view.

Currently, there are more than 4,700 UK companies operating in Romania with opportunities to support ongoing infrastructure modernisation. A market of 20 million consumers and a growing economy where the UK is able to freely compete for business. For now.

Bipat May 9th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12248514)
Any trade deal doesn't need to be advantageous to both sides, it is what can be negotiated. And I just mentioned the USA, Canada and Australia as countries that for political and other reasons the UK might be able to negotiate good deals with.

I just gave example of key British exports. My question is what specifically could one expect from a trade deal that would significantly change the volume of British exports of the typical high-value products that Britain exports ? For example are import duties on British chemicals and organic compounds so high in India because of the rate charged on EU products, that there would be such a reduction that it would increase British exports ? I looked up the import duties on organic compounds, and a few related categories- quite high for any exporter to India.

The other question which you can answer better than I, is India really interested in any sort of free trade agreement of substantive value, or simply try to export more of its own products, and people ? Is the below article accurately reflecting the difficulty other countries have reaching "free trade" agreements with India ?

Trading bloc to India: Cut tariffs or exit FTA talks - The Hindu

Your link is a year old. (Hindu newspaper has leftist (Communist) leanings.)

The economy is changing all the time and becoming more liberal, obviously tariffs will be an important issue. Recent demonetisation was a success (in spite of fears), other changes pending.
Look at the links in the other thread.

EMR May 9th 2017 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12248538)

The economy is changing all the time and becoming more liberal, obviously tariffs will be an important issue. Recent demonetisation was a success (in spite of fears), other changes pending.
Look at the links in the other thread.

So a paper that does not agree with you and does not support Modi is " communist ".
So much for debate and democracy.

Bipat May 9th 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12248464)
I'm glad my memory hasn't gone completely.

Thought you might prefer and Indian one? ;););)

I could get an Indian one any time! however dual nationality not allowed. OCI (overseas citizen of India) gives best of both worlds.

DaveLovesDee May 9th 2017 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12248500)
So you think UK taxpayers money is better spent building roads and bridges in Romania instead of funding teachers and nurses in the UK?

Interesting.

Which is preferable. Creating jobs and improving infrastructure in poorer regions such as Wales/Romania for 100,000's of people, or those people moving to London/the UK to look for work and a better life?

It's not just migration into the UK that happens. People have always moved to where they can find work. Surely those jobs created in poorer countries means less of that country's nationals migrating here.

Bipat May 9th 2017 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12248541)
So a paper that does not agree with you and does not support Modi is " communist ".
So much for debate and democracy.

No, I often read that newspaper. I am just pointing out that the particular link above by a member of the editorial team will have that background.
Its ownership and political leanings are well known, it is not 'an opinion'.
The newspaper largely serves the south where Kerala for example has a Communist coalition led State government. This demonstrates democracy.

The opposition party at the moment is in much the same condition as the UK Labour party. So debate reflects that.

DaveLovesDee May 9th 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12248559)
The opposition party at the moment is in much the same condition as the UK Labour party. So debate reflects that.

Ah, the media are constantly printing attacks on the party's elected leader instead of holding the government to account! That explains it.

morpeth May 9th 2017 1:04 pm

[QUOTE=Bipat;12248538]Your link is a year old. (Hindu newspaper has leftist (Communist) leanings.)

Look at the links in the other thread.[/QUOTE

Whether leftist or not, my question is did the article fairly portray the difficulty countries have in trying to get "free trade" deals with India? The one set of tariffs I looked up seemed very high.

I am trying to imagine being an export manager for a chemical company. If most of my exports to EU, but I have some exports to India but, growing ,where I have to pay a 15% tariff. So then Brexit occurs, now I have some additional hurdles be it in paperwork or increased costs exporting to EU, but India negotiates a free trade agreement and lowers tariff to 5%. Paperwork exporting to India probably still more than exporting to EU. How long would it take for India ( or other such countries) to make up for slower growth in exports to EU ? Would EU just sit on its hands paying a 15% tariff, or immediately start seeking the same tariff ?

Bipat May 9th 2017 1:29 pm

[QUOTE=morpeth;12248589]

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12248538)

Look at the links in the other thread.[/QUOTE

Whether leftist or not, my question is did the article fairly portray the difficulty countries have in trying to get "free trade" deals with India? The one set of tariffs I looked up seemed very high.

I am trying to imagine being an export manager for a chemical company. If most of my exports to EU, but I have some exports to India but, growing ,where I have to pay a 15% tariff. So then Brexit occurs, now I have some additional hurdles be it in paperwork or increased costs exporting to EU, but India negotiates a free trade agreement and lowers tariff to 5%. Paperwork exporting to India probably still more than exporting to EU. How long would it take for India ( or other such countries) to make up for slower growth in exports to EU ? Would EU just sit on its hands paying a 15% tariff, or immediately start seeking the same tariff ?

As I have explained the economy is changing all the time. With the EU negotiations there were problems on both sides and failure. As I said the EU have sent trade delegations three times this year. So far no news of reopening talks.
Not sure what you mean by "other such countries". Not going to explain again the difference. It is all in the other (segregated/apartheid:lol: thread).

Bipat May 9th 2017 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12248567)
Ah, the media are constantly printing attacks on the party's elected leader instead of holding the government to account! That explains it.

Not sure what you mean? If replying to my post, the media/newspapers/and TV channels make attacks on leader and government. Just as in the UK.

Red Eric May 9th 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12248534)

Currently, there are more than 4,700 UK companies operating in Romania with opportunities to support ongoing infrastructure modernisation. A market of 20 million consumers and a growing economy where the UK is able to freely compete for business. For now.

Good golly, iano :blink:

You don't seriously expect, after all this time, that they're going to suddenly see that there's more to the sums than "Do we get the same, less or more back in grants than we pay in to belong", do you?

amideislas May 9th 2017 1:53 pm

Look, all this talk about "trade deals" is incredibly simplistic. It's far more complicated than that.

UK goods exports currently account for less than 10% of GDP. The UK simply doesn't produce much.

In terms of free trade in goods, the UK would always be at a disadvantage, because it produces relatively little (but imports a lot). And much of what it produces is due to trade gravity, such as automobiles (~80% sold to next door neighbours. Producing autos for the Indian or US markets would be impractical). So, being one of Britain's largest goods exports, it's a nonstarter to presume that could be shifted afar. In fact, if automakers don't have free access to the single market, they'll be forced to downsize to a level that supports the British market alone, and move major production to the continent.

Services? (80% of UK is exports) Hmmm. Tricky. Most "free trade" agreements impose many restrictions on "services", mainly to protect their own domestic service industries. Britain would have to navigate a lot of regulation to expect to achieve anything like it currently trades in services freely with the EU.

Bipat likes to talk about India (hammer, nail) but India alone cannot "save" Britain from itself, and no matter what, India WILL have special interests of its own that it will protect in any such deal. And again India alone won't cut it, but no doubt they'll be open to freely selling goods to Britain.

The same applies for anywhere else in the world. The US will demand capitulation. Especially now with the protectionist bunch they have in office now.

The UK currently trades robustly with the "Commonwealth". It accounts for roughly 2% of exports.

The devil is in the details.

Annetje May 9th 2017 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12248534)

Definition of a Brexiter ?

Bipat May 9th 2017 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12248642)
Look, all this talk about "trade deals" is incredibly simplistic. It's far more complicated than that.

UK goods exports currently account for less than 10% of GDP. The UK simply doesn't produce much.

In terms of free trade in goods, the UK would always be at a disadvantage, because it produces relatively little (but imports a lot). And much of what it produces is due to trade gravity, such as automobiles (~80% sold to next door neighbours. Producing autos for the Indian or US markets would be impractical). So, being one of Britain's largest goods exports, it's a nonstarter to presume that could be shifted afar. In fact, if automakers don't have free access to the single market, they'll be forced to downsize to a level that supports the British market alone, and move major production to the continent.

Services? (80% of UK is exports) Hmmm. Tricky. Most "free trade" agreements impose many restrictions on "services", mainly to protect their own domestic service industries. Britain would have to navigate a lot of regulation to expect to achieve anything like it currently trades in services freely with the EU.

Bipat likes to talk about India (hammer, nail) but India alone cannot "save" Britain from itself, and no matter what, India WILL have special interests of its own that it will protect in any such deal. And again India alone won't cut it, but no doubt they'll be open to freely selling goods to Britain.

The same applies for anywhere else in the world. The US will demand capitulation. Especially now with the protectionist bunch they have in office now.

The UK currently trades robustly with the "Commonwealth". It accounts for roughly 2% of exports.

The devil is in the details.

Agree with what you say India alone can't "save" Britain, but will be very useful. (Someone has to point out that there is a world outside of the EU and your posts are a bit 'mallet/nail'. :lol:)

UK car exports to India grow 11-fold in 7 years, Jaguar Land Rover tops list | autos | Hindustan Times

Brexit Effects: Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin Have Cut Prices In India By More Than Rs 1 Crore - Indiatimes.com

EMR May 9th 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12248661)
Agree with what you say India alone can't "save" Britain, but will be very useful. (Someone has to point out that there is a world outside of the EU and your posts are a bit 'mallet/nail'. :lol:)

UK car exports to India grow 11-fold in 7 years, Jaguar Land Rover tops list | autos | Hindustan Times

Brexit Effects: Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin Have Cut Prices In India By More Than Rs 1 Crore - Indiatimes.com

You are referring to top of the range luxury products for the elite.
The elite who can afford the huge tarrifs on vehicle imports.
Nothing wrong with that but they represent but a fraction of UK vehicle exports and do not even register at 4000 vehicles in the overall size of the Indian auto market.
What will happen to UK exports when tata factories built in lower cost countries start to export ?