British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

lgm1963 May 9th 2017 11:04 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12248460)
It would help if you could use facts, and provide some evidence....

Oh right.....I'm new to the site and I am the one who has to start that process?

Scamp May 9th 2017 11:04 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12248382)
Yes, they got their passports years ago, helped mainly by Tony Blair. They obviously thought UK good for future business!

Not sure what you meant by "swap"??

I'm glad my memory hasn't gone completely.

Thought you might prefer and Indian one? ;););)

lgm1963 May 9th 2017 11:07 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12248460)
It's worked very well in Wales, to the tune of £500 million per year over the current 7-yr plan. That money is used to help create jobs, retrain workers from traditional industries, and to improve many of the roads..

And once again.....that is NOT EU money, that is UK money that is paid to Brussels so they can redistribute a fraction of it back to us.

But you keep telling yourself that the EU is funding Welsh jobs if that makes you feel better.

The EU generates nothing by way of wealth. It cannot fund anything.

We who contribute are the funders.

EMR May 9th 2017 11:11 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12248468)
And once again.....that is NOT EU money, that is UK money that is paid to Brussels so they can redistribute a fraction of it back to us.

But you keep telling yourself that the EU is funding Welsh jobs if that makes you feel better.

The EU generates nothing by way of wealth. It cannot fund anything.

We who contribute are the funders.

So you do agree that we do get something back.
Who would have built all those roads, funded those jobs.
Pound to a Euro the UK governments of the time would have done b***** all.

Assanah May 9th 2017 11:11 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12248468)
And once again.....that is NOT EU money, that is UK money that is paid to Brussels so they can redistribute a fraction of it back to us.

But you keep telling yourself that the EU is funding Welsh jobs if that makes you feel better.

The EU generates nothing by way of wealth. It cannot fund anything.

We who contribute are the funders.

That is kind of true for all governments, isn't it. Governments distribute our (the taxpayers) money.

DaveLovesDee May 9th 2017 11:13 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12248468)
And once again.....that is NOT EU money, that is UK money that is paid to Brussels so they can redistribute a fraction of it back to us.

But you keep telling yourself that the EU is funding Welsh jobs if that makes you feel better.

The EU generates nothing by way of wealth. It cannot fund anything.

We who contribute are the funders.

It's money Westminster isn't going to spend on Wales post-Brexit. There are many other regions of the UK that also receive money.

Downing Street doesn't give a shit about any region that doesn't vote Tory.

lgm1963 May 9th 2017 11:13 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12248470)
So you do agree that we do get something back.
Who would have built all those roads, funded those jobs.
Pound to a Euro the UK governments of the time would have done b***** all.

But you cannot demonstrate that.

Were you not asking me for fact and proof rather than hyperbole and rhetoric?

lgm1963 May 9th 2017 11:16 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12248473)
It's money Westminster isn't going to spend on Wales post-Brexit. There are many other regions of the UK that also receive money.

Downing Street doesn't give a shit about any region that doesn't vote Tory.

Let's stick to facts shall we?

During the last Labour government, cash was shifted from wealthy areas to poor areas that voted Labour. For votes.

And when Labour finally showed their true colours and got booted out, the Tories allow wealthy areas to retain the money they generate. For votes.

Both flavours do it but you only choose to see the bits you don;t like.

Please don;t ask me to stick to facts and evidence then post bollocks.

EMR May 9th 2017 11:19 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12248476)
Let's stick to facts shall we?

During the last Labour government, cash was shifted from wealthy areas to poor areas that voted Labour. For votes.

And when Labour finally showed their true colours and got booted out, the Tories allow wealthy areas to retain the money they generate. For votes.

Both flavours do it but you only choose to see the bits you don;t like.

Please don;t ask me to stick to facts and evidence then post bollocks.

Then we agree governments only look after areas that vote for them rather than where it is needed.
Whereas the EU funding did not go to the rich south east ,or central London.
But areas of deprivation.

lgm1963 May 9th 2017 11:23 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12248481)
Then we agree governments only look after areas that vote for them rather than where it is needed.
Whereas the EU funding did not go to the rich south east ,or central London.
But areas of deprivation.

Yeah.

Romania
Poland
Hungary
Bulgaria
Malta
etc

EMR May 9th 2017 11:31 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12248485)
Yeah.

Romania
Poland
Hungary
Bulgaria
Malta
etc

You are right, areas of deprivation.
Unlees you are suggesting othrwise and there are so many well paid jobs and opportunities in those countries that why they chose come to work in the UK for min wage and be abused by some UK employers is beyond you.

The Guardian has an interesting article about the continuing labour shortage in the UK, the day after May announced her fantasy immigration target.

lgm1963 May 9th 2017 11:35 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12248497)
You are right, areas of deprivation.

So you think UK taxpayers money is better spent building roads and bridges in Romania instead of funding teachers and nurses in the UK?

Interesting.

morpeth May 9th 2017 11:56 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12248299)
Countries don't "grant" free trade deals, they are trade deals made between countries according to the conditions made between them on tariffs etc.
Neither is it about "giving UK preferences", it is about a deal with advantages to both sides.

As I have said to you before, the EU and India have failed to make progress on free trade deal negotiations for nine years, the EU have been trying this year to reopen negotiations. Getting an agreement with twenty seven countries is more difficult than one.

Uk and India (far more than just the UK export items you mention) have been having unofficial talks but cannot sign anything until Brexit happens, as you see they are hampered by EU rules. India is a member of BRICS but China the only other advancing economy there and virtually an 'enemy' of India!

Any trade deal doesn't need to be advantageous to both sides, it is what can be negotiated. And I just mentioned the USA, Canada and Australia as countries that for political and other reasons the UK might be able to negotiate good deals with.

I just gave example of key British exports. My question is what specifically could one expect from a trade deal that would significantly change the volume of British exports of the typical high-value products that Britain exports ? For example are import duties on British chemicals and organic compounds so high in India because of the rate charged on EU products, that there would be such a reduction that it would increase British exports ? I looked up the import duties on organic compounds, and a few related categories- quite high for any exporter to India.

The other question which you can answer better than I, is India really interested in any sort of free trade agreement of substantive value, or simply try to export more of its own products, and people ? Is the below article accurately reflecting the difficulty other countries have reaching "free trade" agreements with India ?

Trading bloc to India: Cut tariffs or exit FTA talks - The Hindu

morpeth May 9th 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12248381)
Dyson favours brexit because he has his products manufactured in Malaysia.
He wants fewer restrictions on bringing in skilled engineers etc from non EU countries.
Where is your evidence that the Hindujas and Liberty favour Brexit or put it another way a hard brexit.
The imposition of Euro specs across EU manufacturing has been one of the biggest boosts to exporters , manufacturers and consumers.
The lack of paperwork and regulations for UK exporters to the EU has saved UK companies tens of millions over the years .

Just anecdotal observation but the other day I had discussion with an old friend, and Indian who came to UK from Tanzania who has his own business which exports. He said most of his fellow Indian businessmen did vote for Brexit for various reasons, one of which was complaints about EU forcing regulations on them and their business. He said when he brought up how much it helps British exporters to have one set of rules to comply with instead of 27 they nodded their heads, but then returned to complaining about the EU regulations on their business within the UK.

EMR May 9th 2017 12:14 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12248514)
Any trade deal doesn't need to be advantageous to both sides, it is what can be negotiated. And I just mentioned the USA, Canada and Australia as countries that for political and other reasons the UK might be able to negotiate good deals with.

I just gave example of key British exports. My question is what specifically could one expect from a trade deal that would significantly change the volume of British exports of the typical high-value products that Britain exports ? For example are import duties on British chemicals and organic compounds so high in India because of the rate charged on EU products, that there would be such a reduction that it would increase British exports ? I looked up the import duties on organic compounds, and a few related categories- quite high for any exporter to India.

The other question which you can answer better than I, is India really interested in any sort of free trade agreement of substantive value, or simply try to export more of its own products, and people ? Is the below article accurately reflecting the difficulty other countries have reaching "free trade" agreements with India ?

Trading bloc to India: Cut tariffs or exit FTA talks - The Hindu

I believe that the current government will focus on UK companies being given access to developing markets so that they can invest, set up joint ventures , subsidiaries etc.
This will not result in significantly higher exports but will raise the global profile of UK PLC.
The value of these investments and profits generated will be spun as " trade " but of course the other side of the coin is that those countries will also demand access to the UK for their products, a relaxation in immigration rules etc.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.