British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric May 6th 2017 2:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12246401)
Your trust in politicians is admirable.

This is one that's come up on a number of occasions and I can never understand why there's even a shadow of doubt about the matter.

It's quite clear to me that, no matter what, the UK would never, ever have become a member of the single currency. Certainly not without some exceptional change in circumstances and not without a referendum on the matter.

Where on earth does the idea come from that a future government would just march off and sign up to it? It was done and dusted when the UK dropped out of the ERM long, long ago and it was buried thousands of meters beneath the ground with the eurozone crisis and the consequent full exposure of the currency zone's shortcomings.

lutonlad May 6th 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12246408)
This is one that's come up on a number of occasions and I can never understand why there's even a shadow of doubt about the matter.

It's quite clear to me that, no matter what, the UK would never, ever have become a member of the single currency. Certainly not without some exceptional change in circumstances and not without a referendum on the matter.

Where on earth does the idea come from that a future government would just march off and sign up to it? It was done and dusted when the UK dropped out of the ERM long, long ago and it was buried thousands of meters beneath the ground with the eurozone crisis and the consequent full exposure of the currency zone's shortcomings.

Try telling the Lib Dems that.
Ok it was 2010 but one of their aims was to see the UK rejoining ERM II and eventually joining the euro.
Haven't a clue what they think now. There are other closet Euro fans that include Blair. It's just that they know it's unwise to mention it in the current climate.

EMR May 6th 2017 2:58 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12246411)
Try telling the Lib Dems that.
Ok it was 2010 but one of their aims was to see the UK rejoining ERM II and eventually joining the euro.
Haven't a clue what they think now. There are other closet Euro fans that include Blair. It's just that they know it's unwise to mention it in the current climate.

So the lib dems would have achieved the biggest electoral turnaround in history and become the government of the UK would they.
Where is Blair , is he is government ?

lutonlad May 6th 2017 3:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12246418)
So the lib dems would have achieved the biggest electoral turnaround in history and become the government of the UK would they.
Where is Blair , is he is government ?

No he's not. But shit and nightmares can happen.

EMR May 6th 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12246431)
No he's not. But shit and nightmares can happen.

True I woke up to one the day after the referendum.

lutonlad May 6th 2017 3:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12246433)
True I woke up to one the day after the referendum.

You'll feel better on June 9th.

EMR May 6th 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12246434)
You'll feel better on June 9th.

Why, nothing will change , the nightmare continues.

Assanah May 6th 2017 4:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12246238)
because at the end of the day, what people really want is a market for their goods and $$$ in their bank accounts. The market, contrary to what some people want to believe, doesn't hold grudges.

Yes, that is what I said: no grudges, but the UK will either pay lots of $$$$ or will have to be content with the produce that will be rejected by the EU and other big markets.
Producer worldwide will comply with the high standards of the EU because it is a big market. They will always supply the EU first and the UK will get the rest unless the UK pays a lot more. Simple really.

InVinoVeritas May 6th 2017 4:40 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12246408)
This is one that's come up on a number of occasions and I can never understand why there's even a shadow of doubt about the matter.

It's quite clear to me that, no matter what, the UK would never, ever have become a member of the single currency. Certainly not without some exceptional change in circumstances and not without a referendum on the matter.

Where on earth does the idea come from that a future government would just march off and sign up to it? It was done and dusted when the UK dropped out of the ERM long, long ago and it was buried thousands of meters beneath the ground with the eurozone crisis and the consequent full exposure of the currency zone's shortcomings.

Actually, just before the UK crashed out of the ERM there was a very strong movement to sign up to the common currency. I know this because I was asked to do some position papers arguing against it. In the end the UK secured an opt-out in the 1992 Maastricht treaty as a result of which we experienced Black Wednesday and the UK got pistol-whipped for tracking the ERM. Just imagine how much worse it would be for anyone leaving the Euro!

EMR May 6th 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Having been outside of the UK When sterling crashed and we and thousands of other holiday makers found that for a few days currency exchange centres and banks would not accept sterling it was no picnic for Brits.
Nor was it for home owners when mortgage rates soared and recession followed.
No doubt having observed the chaos surrounding the ERM fiasco in the UK the Eurozone countries and ECB will move heaven and earth to prevent any member leaving.
,

la mancha May 6th 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12246407)
Well, you found one, from 2011, when the eurozone was still in the midst of the debt crisis. But you know as well as I that's all but over now.

Now, I'd be happy to list pages of links to not only opinions, but irrefutable facts illustrating England's delusional belief in how Brexit will mysteriously make it better off, because, well, it just will. Brexit means Brexit and all.

But honestly, I've already done that, and most people know it now, so it's hardly worth my time.

Now who is delusional?

InVinoVeritas May 6th 2017 5:29 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12246469)
Now who is delusional?

+1

Repetition is indeed a form of insanity ;)

Red Eric May 6th 2017 5:56 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12246411)
Try telling the Lib Dems that.
Ok it was 2010 but one of their aims was to see the UK rejoining ERM II and eventually joining the euro.
Haven't a clue what they think now. There are other closet Euro fans that include Blair. It's just that they know it's unwise to mention it in the current climate.


Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12246458)
Actually, just before the UK crashed out of the ERM there was a very strong movement to sign up to the common currency. I know this because I was asked to do some position papers arguing against it. In the end the UK secured an opt-out in the 1992 Maastricht treaty as a result of which we experienced Black Wednesday and the UK got pistol-whipped for tracking the ERM. Just imagine how much worse it would be for anyone leaving the Euro!

I accept that it was the plan in the past, prior to the birth of the currency, for the UK to be part of it. However, all these years later, I really don't see how either of these 2 responses addresses the (frankly rather loopy) idea that any UK government could, if the country had voted Remain, just waltz it into the euro currency or, indeed would have wanted to. Any politician who even hinted at it as anything other than a joke would be greeted with a huge chorus of boos and jeers and likely find himself unemployable, either as an MP or anything else, for the rest of his life. That's quite apart from the fact that there's a long and formal procedure to be gone through before a country is allowed in at all these days and it would be impossible to achieve in the lifetime of one government.

It's just another of those scare stories which was put about to get people to vote Leave. Job done, joke's over. It was never a runner anyway but you can stop pretending now.

InVinoVeritas May 6th 2017 6:34 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Being pro-Brexit doesn't mean I agree with every statement by every Brexiter nor that I disagree with every statement made by every Remainer. I don't believe the UK would have joined the Euro had it remained in the the EU but it certainly would have come under increasing pressure to do so.

Dick Dasterdly May 6th 2017 8:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
LISTEN: Nigel Farage FUMES at unelected EU 'thugs' in FURIOUS tirade - Your Brexit

Fair comment Nigel.

:cool:


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:59 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.