British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Apr 28th 2017 7:28 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12240079)
Award-Winning Economist Roger Bootle: EU On The Verge Of Collapse

Lots of positives in there for the Uk :thumbup:

as for the Eu, oh dear. :thumbdown:

:cool:

How many times in the last 20 years or have you said that the EU is on the edge of collapse ?

It was just nonsense when you started and is no different now.

amideislas Apr 28th 2017 8:42 am

A bit of a chuckle...

Americans see Brexit as a reckoning – and boy are they enjoying it

Assanah Apr 28th 2017 9:18 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12239708)
Sorry, I said directive. It's actually a regulation. My apologies.

Original legislation: EC 2257/94

Replaced by CIR (EU) 1333/2011

This one for green bananas. The rest you can find here reg 543/2011. There is no requirement with regards to odd forms. Products need to be intact though. Only if you want to classify your produce as class 1 or 2 there are requirements with regards to shape which have to be met. So in theory there is no problem to sell odd shaped products. Nobody wants to buy them though. That is why they go into processing or the farmers leave them on the fields and plow them (natural manure).

Bipat Apr 28th 2017 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12240282)
This one for green bananas. The rest you can find here reg 543/2011. There is no requirement with regards to odd forms. Products need to be intact though. Only if you want to classify your produce as class 1 or 2 there are requirements with regards to shape which have to be met. So in theory there is no problem to sell odd shaped products. Nobody wants to buy them though. That is why they go into processing or the farmers leave them on the fields and plow them (natural manure).

Isn't the problem that consumers have just become too fussy for no good reason. All the above regulations to go through just to sell a bunch of bananas!! Those on low incomes would surely prefer just lower prices, to buy from 'markets' rather than supermarkets?

What do the regulations mean by "practically free" from pests, visible foreign matter, bruising etc. not very specific.

amideislas Apr 28th 2017 10:13 am

The purpose, in case it's not obvious to you, is to define what makes something "premium" quality. Otherwise, everything sold would be sold as "premium", even if it's the crappiest excuse for fruit & veg on the planet.

Take the leave campaign, for the example. No regulation allowed them to make patently false claims on the tin with impunity. And by all accounts, that swindle has far worse consequences than any 4th rate banana.

Assanah Apr 28th 2017 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12240296)
Isn't the problem that consumers have just become too fussy for no good reason. All the above regulations to go through just to sell a bunch of bananas!! Those on low incomes would surely prefer just lower prices, to buy from 'markets' rather than supermarkets?

What do the regulations mean by "practically free" from pests, visible foreign matter, bruising etc. not very specific.

Yep, I think that the consumer is a bit spoiled. And that is the main reason why it is so difficult to sell these products. I was just pointing out that the law isn't the problem here.

How can you be specific with fresh produce? There is always some variation in fresh products - it is nature. You can't control it. What would it mean if you write "free of foreign matters"? It is extremely difficult to clean fresh produce completely. Do you want to destroy every salate were you find a spot of dirt?

These EU regulations are also in line with the Codex and other international regulation such as the UNECE norms.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 28th 2017 10:16 am

JUNCKER BACKLASH: 83,000 back economist’s calls for EU resignation | City & Business | Finance | Express.co.uk

"EUROPEAN Commission president Jean Claude Junker is facing a massive backlash in France over his involvement in the Lux Leaks scandal raging in his native state.

Mr Juncker flew to London yesterday to have dinner at 10 Downing Street with British Prime Minister Theresa May but left stony-faced.

He has repeatedly threatened the citizens of the United Kingdom and made outrageous Brexit demands since the country voted to leave the EU in June last year.

Mr Juncker currently earns more than €300,00-a-year for his position as president of the commission as well as a bonus of 15 per cent plus a massive pension.

But he has repeatedly failed to step in to help as countries like Greece, Italy and Spain which are crumbling over the debt burdens placed on them after they joined the euro.

Pensioners have been out campaigning on the streets in their tens of thousands as they face cuts while Mr Juncker jets around member states failing to provide any solutions."

The Eu already knew fine well that he was as bent as a three quid note when they chose him.

Which begs the question, Is that why they chose him ?

EMR Apr 28th 2017 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12240307)
JUNCKER BACKLASH: 83,000 back economist’s calls for EU resignation | City & Business | Finance | Express.co.uk

"EUROPEAN Commission president Jean Claude Junker is facing a massive backlash in France over his involvement in the Lux Leaks scandal raging in his native state.

Mr Juncker flew to London yesterday to have dinner at 10 Downing Street with British Prime Minister Theresa May but left stony-faced.

He has repeatedly threatened the citizens of the United Kingdom and made outrageous Brexit demands since the country voted to leave the EU in June last year.

Mr Juncker currently earns more than €300,00-a-year for his position as president of the commission as well as a bonus of 15 per cent plus a massive pension.

But he has repeatedly failed to step in to help as countries like Greece, Italy and Spain which are crumbling over the debt burdens placed on them after they joined the euro.

Pensioners have been out campaigning on the streets in their tens of thousands as they face cuts while Mr Juncker jets around member states failing to provide any solutions."

The Eu already knew fine well that he was as bent as a three quid note when they chose him.

Which begs the question, Is that why they chose him ?

Dick is like the spotty faced teenager who always thinks that it is he who breaks up with girls despite overwhelming evidence and public knowledge to the contrary.
In Dick's mind it was the population of the 27 other members who held a referendum to leave the UK, stupid foreigners.
In Dick's mind it's not the fault of he who runs up a huge debt, spend s like a crazy person with never any intention of paying anything back but rather it's the fault of those who lend the money.

iano Apr 28th 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12240307)
**"Today I'm going to continue to deflect this thread from a pretty shite Brexit, for which I have absolutely no answers to questions raised let alone any idea where it's heading, and instead bash Juncker. Tomorrow, I'm going to bash Merkel as I did yesterday and the day after that I'll probably bash Juncker for a change..."

http://www.tigertiger.co.uk/wp-conte...2/Sleeping.gif

**Quoting Dick's thought process rather than any particular post, of which there are thousands to choose from.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 28th 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12240333)
http://www.tigertiger.co.uk/wp-conte...2/Sleeping.gif

**Quoting Dick's thought process rather than any particular post, of which there are thousands to choose from.

You mean just as you choose to throw around insults, rather than give a cohesive reply or discuss how the Eu has got itself into such a Godawful mess. ;)

:nod:

amideislas Apr 28th 2017 11:39 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12240332)
Dick is like the spotty faced teenager who always thinks that it is he who breaks up with girls despite overwhelming evidence and public knowledge to the contrary.
In Dick's mind it was the population of the 27 other members who held a referendum to leave the UK, stupid foreigners.
In Dick's mind it's not the fault of he who runs up a huge debt, spend s like a crazy person with never any intention of paying anything back but rather it's the fault of those who lend the money.

I know it sounds ludicrous now, but I'm willing to bet a tenner that sometime within the next decade or so, the whole anti-EU, pro-Brexit mantra will become one of those topics that becomes socially tacky and distasteful, like say, Jimmy Savile. And for those few who still have any memory of now, will be unsurprised to see Dick ranting on about how idiotic and "undemocratic" the whole Brexit thing was, and blabber endlessly about who's to blame for it.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 28th 2017 11:44 am

Just as the Eu is about to become, you mean ?

:rofl:

amideislas Apr 28th 2017 11:56 am

:flypig:

Dick Dasterdly Apr 28th 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12240383)
:flypig:

So which one is that, Junkers or Merkel ?

:rofl:

Bipat Apr 28th 2017 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12240359)
I know it sounds ludicrous now, but I'm willing to bet a tenner that sometime within the next decade or so, the whole anti-EU, pro-Brexit mantra will become one of those topics that becomes socially tacky and distasteful, like say, Jimmy Savile. And for those few who still have any memory of now, will be unsurprised to see Dick ranting on about how idiotic and "undemocratic" the whole Brexit thing was, and blabber endlessly about who's to blame for it.

Voting in a legally held referendum, for a country to leave a particular trade organisation. To regain supremacy (in total) of its judicial system. To have freedom to make free trade agreements with non-EU countries, to have equal immigration rules not related to nationality. You equate with the topic of Jimmy Savile????
I think the latter was rather more than "tacky and distasteful" topic.

Whether Brexit was the wrong decision or not will be seen in the future, but at least start negotiations before constantly expecting/hoping? Brexit will fail.