British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Apr 25th 2017 10:17 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12238380)
Is there a link to an explanation of criteria used ?

Here's the source article

EMR Apr 26th 2017 7:26 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12238390)
Here's the source article

It's the strange logic sales directors use when having to dream up something for their annual presentations.
EG" there is always a huge potential market desperate to buy from us "
They of course never add that, they never have the skills, potential, capacity etc.
Plus of course they always ignore the fact that this huge untapped market has to want to buy from you ".
I cannot rember the number of such presentations I have sat through or given.

amideislas Apr 26th 2017 8:29 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Just in: Part 2

Brexit by timetable: the evolution of the EU’s position Part 2

amideislas Apr 26th 2017 9:09 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
A view from across the pond:

After Brexit, Britain is still seeking a post-empire role

...Britain swallowed its pride and applied for membership in the European Common Market, as the EU was then. French President Charles de Gaulle vetoed that bid, and another in 1967, because of Britain’s “deep-seated hostility” to European unity.

Eventually, Britain joined the EU in 1969, after de Gaulle retired. But the old dicta hold true: Britain still had not embraced a role, and the “deep-seated hostility” remained. It never became a comfortable member of the European club, balking at measures for deeper unity, while its tabloid press produced a stream of lies and bile about the EU and its institutions.


Read More

iano Apr 26th 2017 9:18 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
How others see us, eh ?

'Delusional' in other words.

Bipat Apr 26th 2017 9:31 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12238390)
Here's the source article

This article makes a lot of sense. Brexit is about the future, not the next two years of 'leave' negotiations, but the future decades.

DaveLovesDee Apr 26th 2017 9:55 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12238612)
This article makes a lot of sense. Brexit is about the future, not the next two years of 'leave' negotiations, but the future decades.

The article makes a lot of vague statements. Perfect for the Leave voters.

amideislas Apr 26th 2017 9:56 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12238606)
How others see us, eh ?

'Delusional' in other words.

You know what they say about opinions ... Everybody has one.

But if you fancy a real-world metric, consider that the VAST majority of pro-Brexit narratives emanate from one place. Precious few outside Britain see any upside for anyone in Brexit. The exception being a handful of Trumpians whose primary interest is pissing on Obama. But then, they could barely find that little spot on the map, let alone exhibit any clue what the EU is (or isn't). Most of what they know is what the British media tells them, and obviously, their history is pretty dubious.

Stereotypes are woefully broad brushes, but the common ones referring to British special snowflake syndrome aren't entirely without foundation. Britain has (unwittingly, unconsciously) exhibited it for a long time, and Brexit has only served to further substantiate it.

And naturally, that's how it's seen from outside the bubble.

morpeth Apr 26th 2017 10:05 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12238630)
The article makes a lot of vague statements. Perfect for the Leave voters.

An interesting article though some specifics would have made it more convincing. My first thought is that many of the issues mentioned had nothing or little to do with Brexit- so I wonder if the point is that the problems to be caused by Brexit are beneficial mainly because they will prompt a better government strategy that should have been employed any way ?

Dick Dasterdly Apr 26th 2017 4:38 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
European Union - Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt rips into Hungary PM Orban | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Hitler reincarnated ? :mad:

Thank the Lord they haven't got that ragtag Eu army up to strength yet.

It would be like 1939 all over again.

SultanOfSwing Apr 26th 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12238987)
It would be like 1939 all over again.

That might be nice for you though, being able to relive the heady days of your early 70s ...

EMR Apr 26th 2017 4:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12238987)
European Union - Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt rips into Hungary PM Orban | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Hitler reincarnated ? :mad:

Thank the Lord they haven't got that ragtag Eu army up to strength yet.

It would be like 1939 all over again.

Really which one is the right wing leader.
Another insult to the countries who fought and died alongside us in Afghanistan etc .
Vex is not the only one to have reached a new low level of contribution today,

Dick Dasterdly Apr 26th 2017 11:12 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Extreme Right, Extreme Left ?
Hitler, Stalin. take your pick, both pure evil, same result.

The point I'm making is the Guy I referred to is a total nutter and as mad as a box of frogs and certainly not fit to be in a position of responsibility where diplomacy should be first and foremost and the order of the day.

Time the Eu realised that their dictatorial attitude, trying to rule with threats and fear, is simply hastening their self destruction.
In this particular instance they are trying to force Hungary to take in refugees, despite the fact they've made it clear they don't want them.

Can someone enlighten what on earth is the point of this madness ?

Hungary doesn't want them.
The refugees don't want to be there.

They are fully aware that even if they learned a minority language, no good to them elsewhere and got a job, the wages are a mere fraction of those in more affluent Eu countries.

That is precisely why many of those who have been accepted and placed, simply up sticks the very first moment the opportunity arises and head for greener pastures.

You can lead a horse to water, but you CANNOT make it drink.

:cool:

lgm1963 Apr 26th 2017 11:36 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12239225)
Extreme Right, Extreme Left ?
Hitler, Stalin. take your pick, both pure evil, same result.

The point I'm making is the Guy I referred to is a total nutter and as mad as a box of frogs and certainly not fit to be in a position of responsibility where diplomacy should be first and foremost and the order of the day.

Time the Eu realised that their dictatorial attitude, trying to rule with threats and fear, is simply hastening their self destruction.
In this particular instance they are trying to force Hungary to take in refugees, despite the fact they've made it clear they don't want them.

Can someone enlighten what on earth is the point of this madness ?

Hungary doesn't want them.
The refugees don't want to be there.

They are fully aware that even if they learned a minority language, no good to them elsewhere and got a job, the wages are a mere fraction of those in more affluent Eu countries.

That is precisely why many of those who have been accepted and placed, simply up sticks the very first moment the opportunity arises and head for greener pastures.

You can lead a horse to water, but you CANNOT make it drink.

:cool:

Yup

And the minute they eschew safe haven to seek greener pastures, they cease being refugees and become economic migrants.

DaveLovesDee Apr 27th 2017 12:39 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lgm1963 (Post 12239239)
Yup

And the minute they eschew safe haven to seek greener pastures, they cease being refugees and become economic migrants.

Safe havens aren't always as safe as we'd like them to be.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:39 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.