British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

morpeth Apr 25th 2017 9:38 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12237718)
Is the situation of constantly bringing immigrants into any and every debate or starting new threads ostensibly on some different angle a positive for BE when it would seem to have been done to death so often? Is there anything new that has been said on the matter within the last week / month / year?

It does on this thread that there a few topics that are constantly referred to by different posters, which also seem to have been done to death.

amideislas Apr 25th 2017 9:43 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12237719)
The Arab nations have more in common than just their religion.

I do not know the exact breakdown how many terrorist incidents were from refugees, migrants, those entering on legitimate visas, home-grown perpetrators. As you say even one is too many from any category.

I didn't bother to look up the latest stats, but last time I looked, the number of events perpetrated in Europe by refugees, migrants etc., is something like 10. Include the US, something like 20. Out of millions.

It's worth pointing out that (iirc) all terror attacks in the UK have been perpetrated by "home grown" perpetrators (aside from those occurring during the "troubles", obviously having nothing to do with Islam whatsoever).

This is why people question the rhetoric claiming the UK is at risk of terrorism as an EU member. The facts don't really support it. Especially considering the damage to internal organs from the "cure", which by all accounts, won't make a hill of beans of difference anyway.

morpeth Apr 25th 2017 9:49 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12237740)
I didn't bother to look up the latest stats, but last time I looked, the number of events perpetrated in Europe by refugees, migrants etc., is something like 10. Include the US, something like 20. Out of millions.

It's worth pointing out that (iirc) all terror attacks in the UK have been perpetrated by "home grown" perpetrators (aside from those occurring during the "troubles", obviously having nothing to do with Islam whatsoever).

This is why people question the rhetoric claiming the UK is at risk of terrorism as an EU member. The facts don't really support it. Especially considering the damage to internal organs from the "cure", which by all accounts, won't make a hill of beans of difference anyway.

Thanks for info. Makes me wonder if the security services are doing a much better job than what might be appreciated.

amideislas Apr 25th 2017 10:01 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
I should clarify one thing: it's not the number of terrorist events. It's the number of people of refugee or migrant origin involved in them. And I may have inflated the numbers a bit. In Europe, I think it's more like 7.

EMR Apr 25th 2017 10:02 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12237744)
Thanks for info. Makes me wonder if the security services are doing a much better job than what might be appreciated.

Maybe you should change the paper you read or the news channels you watch.

amideislas Apr 25th 2017 10:28 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12237685)
At least the father knew where Germany is , not sure he would be in a majority of Americans � ����

It was a dual-purpose joke. The obvious was stereotypical American obliviousness, but did you get the other, self-humbling meaning? (The target audience probably noticed that meaning first).

Who said the Germans have no sense of humour?

Spoiler:

Wagner is a German company. This particular advert was played in Austria (note .at web address on the screen).

Scamp Apr 25th 2017 10:40 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12237733)
Germany had several smaller attacks (not just Berlin) and no attacker was homegrown but was imported.
Why don't Arab nations not help Syrian refugees?
Main group Sunni (e g. Saudi Wahabi) doesn't like smaller group Shiite.
Syria is mainly Shiite. IS is Sunni.
Be rest assured that they would be united if the fight was against infidels.

Ask someone from Lebanon, the Arab nation, how many refugees they've taken.

Lion in Winter Apr 25th 2017 10:50 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12237740)
I didn't bother to look up the latest stats, but last time I looked, the number of events perpetrated in Europe by refugees, migrants etc., is something like 10. Include the US, something like 20. Out of millions.

It's worth pointing out that (iirc) all terror attacks in the UK have been perpetrated by "home grown" perpetrators (aside from those occurring during the "troubles", obviously having nothing to do with Islam whatsoever).

This is why people question the rhetoric claiming the UK is at risk of terrorism as an EU member. The facts don't really support it. Especially considering the damage to internal organs from the "cure", which by all accounts, won't make a hill of beans of difference anyway.

This.

Lion in Winter Apr 25th 2017 10:54 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12237718)
Is the situation of constantly bringing immigrants into any and every debate or starting new threads ostensibly on some different angle a positive for BE when it would seem to have been done to death so often? Is there anything new that has been said on the matter within the last week / month / year?

Or years, even.

Some of our posters are a bit mono-thematic, aren't they.

Scamp Apr 25th 2017 10:55 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12237740)
I didn't bother to look up the latest stats, but last time I looked, the number of events perpetrated in Europe by refugees, migrants etc., is something like 10. Include the US, something like 20. Out of millions.

It's worth pointing out that (iirc) all terror attacks in the UK have been perpetrated by "home grown" perpetrators (aside from those occurring during the "troubles", obviously having nothing to do with Islam whatsoever).

This is why people question the rhetoric claiming the UK is at risk of terrorism as an EU member. The facts don't really support it. Especially considering the damage to internal organs from the "cure", which by all accounts, won't make a hill of beans of difference anyway.

Hurrah.

Which is why 'we' end up calling out clear anti-Muslim remarks for the overt intolerance that they are, because reality doesn't support the weak attempts to justify the nastiness.


Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12237744)
Thanks for info. Makes me wonder if the security services are doing a much better job than what might be appreciated.

I often wonder this, after watching Spooks so many times.

I reckon a lot, but in different ways.

iano Apr 25th 2017 11:12 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12237803)
Some of our posters are a bit mono-thematic, aren't they.

Probably, because they don't have a case, no reasoned argument, and they know it.

Earlier I asked a very simple question, addressed directly to any one of them in post #17262 re the Customs Union and not a peep in response. Even after another poster attempted to prompt them.

In their view, a seriously weakened economy is a price well worth paying in order to deny EU freedom of movement, and is therefore in the national interest.

It's the only conclusion I can draw from the deafening silence.

Annetje Apr 25th 2017 11:19 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12237821)
Probably, because they don't have a case, no reasoned argument, and they know it.

Earlier I asked a very simple question, addressed directly to any one of them in post #17262 re the Customs Union and not a peep in response. Even after another poster attempted to prompt them.

In their view, a seriously weakened economy is a price well worth paying in order to deny EU freedom of movement, and is therefore in the national interest.

It's the only conclusion I can draw from the deafening silence.

Probably the main reason the ''positive Brexit'' thread is so silence ... Nothing positive about it. And when it does open up, it is talking about ostriches ????

:sarcasm:

Ingles Apr 25th 2017 11:30 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
:rofl:


iano Apr 25th 2017 11:38 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
For three years Farage was paid handsomely for zero output, cheating us all in the process.

Some Dicktatorship that EU is.

Lion in Winter Apr 25th 2017 12:11 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12237849)
For three years Farage was paid handsomely for zero output, cheating us all in the process.

Some Dicktatorship that EU is.

More like 18 years. He had one of the two worst attendance records in the EU patliament. Never stopped him pulling salary and expenses though.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:22 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.