British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 5:56 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12236332)
Good God. The Telegraph is now a satirical magazine? :(

:rofl:



Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12236334)
Just for interest which newspaper would you recommend that we read and would be satisfactory for us to quote from?


Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236339)
Exactly.


You can read and quote from any media you like as long as the article contains facts which are accurately represented. Or is clearly satire.


Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12236338)
You can bet a Euro against a pound that EU negotiators will make it a priority to beat the UK to any deals while the UK is in its pre brexit torpor.

And while the UK is Brexiting, the EU can still be negotiating it's deals with other countries.


Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12236345)
However, for the second time this year an EU delegation is in my other country trying to resurrect trade talks. They failed earlier this year and even if they do start talks, as OP has said, by the length of time they will take to get anywhere, the UK will be long out of the EU!

And the UK will be starting from scratch, and trying to catch up (and pass) the EU's negotiations.

Bipat Apr 23rd 2017 6:13 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12236362)


And while the UK is Brexiting, the EU can still be negotiating it's deals with other countries.

And the UK will be starting from scratch, and trying to catch up (and pass) the EU's negotiations.

Hardly 'scratch' unofficial talks since the result of the referendum, and several trade delegations since.

You didn't say which newspaper we can read! I need to know as the Sunday Times is the only one OH buys when in the UK, (I am too mean to buy any!)

Assanah Apr 23rd 2017 6:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236229)
That is what I am asking: is there a queue and who is the EU in front of? And does it matter to us as things stand?

There is a limited amount of time and manpower and too many countries that want a deal with the US. It is only logical that the US will prioritize (that is the more important countries will come first - more manpower and time will be given to negotiation with them than to negotiation with less important countries)

Assanah Apr 23rd 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236341)
Of course they can because we cannot finalise a US trade deal until we Brexit. What is the problem with that? Who said it is a race?

Of course it is a race. The earlier you have full access to a market the sooner your companies will establish themselves in a market - making it harder for companies coming later to establish themselves. It is quite easy actually.

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 6:56 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12236371)
Hardly 'scratch' unofficial talks since the result of the referendum, and several trade delegations since.

You didn't say which newspaper we can read! I need to know as the Sunday Times is the only one OH buys when in the UK, (I am too mean to buy any!)

The UK is there for trade deals, not just free trade discussions.

I've edited my previous post as I didn't think you were being serious at first.

Red Eric Apr 23rd 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236319)
But I am questioning a US-EU and US-UK trade deal, nothing else. Is there a queue for a US trade deal and who is in it? I think InVo answered this correctly. There is no queue, until two parties makes one.

Well if you and Vino say there's no queue, that's good enough for me :)

The only thing that remains to be asked as far as I'm concerned, is why on earth didn't you say so previously :confused:

I'll let poor old Dick know - he'll be ever so disappointed, judging by the number of times he's posted about the UK being at the front of it.

Bipat Apr 23rd 2017 8:19 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12236396)
The UK is there for trade deals, not just free trade discussions.

I've edited my previous post as I didn't think you were being serious at first.

I was quite serious about the country I know, having listened to the speeches by Ministers on TV etc. read the reports.
Yes they have been there for trade deals but also unofficial talks have been going on regarding a free trade deal. Ministers Jaitley and Sitharaman have specifically said nothing can be signed until Brexit. Whether anything comes of it obviously is not known. The EU delegation is there now as I said second attempt this year to try to restart negotiations.
Why do you not believe this?

You still have not suggested a UK newspaper we can read!:lol:

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 8:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12236437)
You still have not suggested a UK newspaper we can read!:lol:

I don't care what you read......

What I want are links that actually represent the facts truthfully, or clearly have something to do with whatever point the poster is trying to make. Or is satire.

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Assanah, you say there are many countries that want a trade deal with the US. I am not disputing that but I am asking who are they and where is this queue we are in front of or at the back of? Also you say it is a race, but we cannot sign anything before Brexit. How does anyone know we will not have deals in place on Brexit day? (There, I have just made another bank holiday for us all – Brexit Day.) And if we haven’t, will the UK cease trading? Of course we won’t.

DLD, quote: ‘You can read and quote from any media you like as long as the article contains facts which are accurately represented. Or is clearly satire.’ Obviously many of the BS posts I have read on here are clearly satire.

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 8:34 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236444)
Obviously many of the BS posts I have read on here are clearly satire.

I've read many posts from our resident satirist. :cool:

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 8:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12236451)
I've read many posts from our resident satirist. :cool:

I missed out the words 'Guardian' and 'Independent' from my post when commenting on satire and posting links to facts..

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 8:40 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12236443)
I don't care what you read......

What I want are links that actually represent the facts truthfully, or clearly have something to do with whatever point the poster is trying to make. Or is satire.

Re-reading your post I would say Dick is right on track with his links, according to you.

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 8:42 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236459)
Re-reading your post I would say Dick is right on track with his links, according to you.

The headlines Dick posts bear little relation to the article content usually.

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 8:48 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12236460)
The headlines Dick posts bear little relation to the article content usually.

The links some posters other than Dick post bear little relation to anything other than fantasy.

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236464)
The links some posters other than Dick post bear little relation to anything other than fantasy.

Don't be so hard on InVino and yourself :p


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:10 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.