British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Aug 19th 2016 1:30 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12030123)
Nurses are "temporarily" exempt. My unanswered question is why shouldn't all immigrants be admitted on the same basis? This is one Brexit aim.

It's a false problem. This was just marketing spin by the Leave campaign's marketing agency to counter the accusations of being anti-immigrant. One of the points of the EU is to give member communities preferential status, in this case on the issue of free movement. The idea is that we all had common goals and could and should function in that way. That's what a community, or bloc, is by definition. If you don't want to be part of that, you don't. If you say that people from any other country should have the same rights to movement among countries and the same entry requirements, you just don't want an economic community. And you voted that way. Fine. But it has nothing to do with injustice.

Lion in Winter Aug 19th 2016 1:34 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12030126)
A difference of nearly $20K when you compare it to the exchange rate when we put the house on the market initially. But it is what it is, my sister was all concerned about it but you take risks when you convert currency. I always said as long as it stayed above $1.30, I'd be happy enough.

On the upside we have no credit card debt anymore :D

That's quite a hit to take but yeah, you are ahead of the game even though not by as much as you might have been.

SultanOfSwing Aug 19th 2016 1:37 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12030135)
That's quite a hit to take but yeah, you are ahead of the game even though not by as much as you might have been.

I reassure myself by rationalizing - it wasn't really a hit that we took because we never actually had that money. We could have, if the house sold in October last year, but we didn't.

We're well ahead, plus I got to buy some new gear as well. All's well that ends well.

It does feel (no offence to my dad and sister et al) though that that was the final act as far as my ties to the UK goes. Even though I never lived in it, and now my sister owns it, the house was sort of the only physical connection I felt I had. It's going to be weird when we go back there next year, I thinl.

Red Eric Aug 19th 2016 1:39 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12030123)
My unanswered question is why shouldn't all immigrants be admitted on the same basis? This is one Brexit aim.

Oh yes - the much vaunted equal opps immigration :lol:

We'll see how that pans out when it comes to retaining access to the single market, shall we?

Dick Dasterdly Aug 19th 2016 1:42 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Rio 2016: European Union removes Team GB from medal table | UK | News | Daily Express

Well let's face it, with their catastrophic record of late, the EU is in desperate need of some positive publicity, so if they need to do it by riding on the back of UK success, then best of luck to them. :cool:

amideislas Aug 19th 2016 1:56 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
European NUCLEAR WAR IMMINENT - Daily Express

Britain threatens firing Tridents on Brussels after EU steals olympic gold from Britain

SultanOfSwing Aug 19th 2016 2:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12030159)
European NUCLEAR WAR IMMINENT - Daily Express

Britain threatens firing Tridents on Brussels after EU steals olympic gold from Britain

Oh, come on - that has to be satire, right? Just one that slipped through onto the main website.

Or do the Express think they're the new Weekly World News? Holy ****, there's more truth and fact on Coast to Coast AM :blink:

DaveLovesDee Aug 19th 2016 2:07 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
I realise that you're finding any excuse to justify your anti-EU stance, but as the UK is still currently a member of the EU, why the hell wouldn't the EU include Team GB's totals in with the EU's totals?

SultanOfSwing Aug 19th 2016 2:10 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12030169)
I realise that you're finding any excuse to justify your anti-EU stance, but as the UK is still currently a member of the EU, why the hell wouldn't the EU include Team GB's totals in with the EU's totals?

Or even more to the point - why does anyone care?

amideislas Aug 19th 2016 2:21 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12030167)
Oh, come on - that has to be satire, right? Just one that slipped through onto the main website.

Or do the Express think they're the new Weekly World News? Holy ****, there's more truth and fact on Coast to Coast AM :blink:


No, I think it's for real. Really. (except the part about the olympics)

It's the same media that sold brexit. Shouldn't be much of a surprise, really.

SultanOfSwing Aug 19th 2016 2:29 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12030180)
No, I think it's for real. Really. (except the part about the olympics)

It's the same media that sold brexit. Shouldn't be much of a surprise, really.

Someone actually thinks that:

A) Europe is on the brink of a nuclear war with Russia and
B) It would be a good idea to broadcast that they think it to the public

I'm genuinely at a loss for words :lol:.

amideislas Aug 19th 2016 2:50 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
I think what's scarier is the surprisingly large number of people who actually believe the stuff the Sun, Daily Mail, and Daily Express publish. The Sun and Daily Fail are the most read media in Britain. Express comes in 8th.

British newspaper circulation

Tell me that's not scary.

SultanOfSwing Aug 19th 2016 3:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12030214)
I think what's scarier is the surprisingly large number of people who actually believe the stuff the Sun, Daily Mail, and Daily Express publish. The Sun and Daily Fail are the most read media in Britain. Express comes in 8th.

British newspaper circulation

Tell me that's not scary.

That is scary.

Bipat Aug 19th 2016 3:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12030128)
It's a false problem. This was just marketing spin by the Leave campaign's marketing agency to counter the accusations of being anti-immigrant. One of the points of the EU is to give member communities preferential status, in this case on the issue of free movement. The idea is that we all had common goals and could and should function in that way. That's what a community, or bloc, is by definition. If you don't want to be part of that, you don't. If you say that people from any other country should have the same rights to movement among countries and the same entry requirements, you just don't want an economic community. And you voted that way. Fine. But it has nothing to do with injustice.

The EEC was an economic community. I presume all members had common goals. However UK law was supreme and there was no discrimination as to who could work, settle, live in the country, but as you say you need people who "function" in the same way"---!?

Why are work visas (which the majority of other countries have --be incompatible with an economic community?)

The official leave campaign was making the same point from the outset, unfortunately many are/were influenced by Farage who was not of the official 'leave campaign'.

Bipat Aug 19th 2016 3:46 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12030225)
That is scary.

Could it be cost? I read Telegraph--on line, but too mean to buy it when in UK. OH buys Sunday Times, not daily.
Occasionally buy Racing Post if there when its Cheltenham festival time!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:38 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.