British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 3:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12236268)

US may join Commonwealth

iano Apr 23rd 2017 4:09 pm

I remember The Daily Telegraph, once a serious broadsheet NEWSpaper, whatever happened ?

Ho hum.

EMR Apr 23rd 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12236294)
Your link to the EU/FTA ongoing trade negotiations (if I counted correctly) more than half are postponed-halted-stalled etc. the map shows these as 'being negotiated' which is not accurate.

The Times article which post dates the link suggests otherwise.

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12236302)
I remember The Daily Telegraph, once a serious broadsheet NEWSpaper, whatever happened ?

Ho hum.

It became a Tory propaganda sheet.

It mostly posts what Tory voters want to hear, without the histrionics of the Mail or Express.

EMR Apr 23rd 2017 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12236302)

Ho hum.

You only need to the references to Farage etc to realise that is just an April 1 article found on someone's desk.

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12236231)
There are quite a few countries in an FTA queue, manch. (see link below for EU version). All are at varying stages of negotiation; EU & Canada, the ink is barely dry on a done deal, 15 rounds of talks already completed between EU & USA, 17 rounds of talks by EU & Japan, fr'instance.

EU negotiators are given priorities (the queue) and are deployed accordingly, it is a very time/resource consuming business, apparently. I have read that UK negotiators are very thin on the ground and don't always have the necessary expertise or experience, so will have to learn quickly on the job.

All that time, energy and work to end up with something, in all likelihood, that is going to be inferior to that which we enjoy and benefit from right now.

You must appreciate why some of us think Brexit to be complete and utter nonsense, don't you ?

Overview of EU FTA & ongoing trade negotiations

US Trade Agreements

Hope this helps. :lol:

But I am questioning a US-EU and US-UK trade deal, nothing else. Is there a queue for a US trade deal and who is in it? I think InVo answered this correctly. There is no queue, until two parties makes one.

Of course all EU negotiations are time absorbing because they have to satisfy the demands of 28 member states, not one. It is easier to satisfy yourself than a block of 28 others with such diverse interests.

Bipat Apr 23rd 2017 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12236308)
The Times article which post dates the link suggests otherwise.

The USA is just one of eleven EU deals which are postponed/pending etc. but shown on the map as 'being negotiated'.

Novocastrian Apr 23rd 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12236295)

Good God. The Telegraph is now a satirical magazine? :(

Bipat Apr 23rd 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12236311)
It became a Tory propaganda sheet.

It mostly posts what Tory voters want to hear, without the histrionics of the Mail or Express.

Just for interest which newspaper would you recommend that we read and would be satisfactory for us to quote from?

EMR Apr 23rd 2017 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12236330)
The USA is just one of eleven EU deals which are postponed/pending etc. but shown on the map as 'being negotiated'.

This is about the UK and it's position as not being able to negotiate a deal while the EU can and is.
It's about the report that Trump has expressed preference for an EU deal..
You can bet a Euro against a pound that EU negotiators will make it a priority to beat the UK to any deals while the UK is in its pre brexit torpor.

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12236334)
Just for interest which newspaper would you recommend that we read and would be satisfactory for us to quote from?

Exactly.

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12236338)
This is about the UK and it's position as not being able to negotiate a deal while the EU can and is.
You can bet a Euro against a pound that EU negotiators will make it a priority to beat the UK to any deals while the UK is in its pre brexit torpor.

Of course they can because we cannot finalise a US trade deal until we Brexit. What is the problem with that? Who said it is a race?

Bipat Apr 23rd 2017 5:15 pm

[QUOTE=EMR;12236338]This is about the UK and it's position as not being able to negotiate a deal while the EU can and is.
You can bet a Euro against a pound that EU negotiators will make it a priority to beat the UK to any deals while the UK is in its pre brexit torpor.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.
However, for the second time this year an EU delegation is in my other country trying to resurrect trade talks. They failed earlier this year and even if they do start talks, as OP has said, by the length of time they will take to get anywhere, the UK will be long out of the EU!

EMR Apr 23rd 2017 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236341)
Of course they can because we cannot finalise a US trade deal until we Brexit. What is the problem with that? Who said it is a race?

Your Brexit Ministers who are jetting here and there ( business class of course ) to anywhere where there is a remote chance of anything that they can call a post brexit trade deal.

iano Apr 23rd 2017 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236319)
But I am questioning a US-EU and US-UK trade deal, nothing else. Is there a queue for a US trade deal and who is in it? I think InVo answered this correctly. There is no queue, until two parties makes one.

Of course all EU negotiations are time absorbing because they have to satisfy the demands of 28 member states, not one. It is easier to satisfy yourself than a block of 28 others with such diverse interests.

When the UK finally leaves the EU any prospective US/UK trade deal would take a back seat (or back of the queue) to the rekindled US/EU trade agreement (according to the Times sources linked earlier).

You're right in that EU agreements are more complex than most, what with the built in environmental, public health and consumer protections, also time absorbing with the lengthy ratification process. That said, although there are 28 member states (soon to be 27) there is only one set of trade regulations.