British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236176)
How long is the queue?

It depends where you are in the queue.....

If you're at the front, it's not your problem. If you're in the middle, and the queue is moving fairly well, you're not too worried. But if you're near the back and there is one person doing all the work, you're going to be a long time.

How long the queue is isn't the only factor we have to consider, is it?

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Eric & DLD

If there are only two in the queue, the EU and the UK, then I would think it pretty obvious for two reasons the EU will be in front, firstly, seeing as how they have been talking to the US for years now and not come anywhere but the foundations are still in place, and secondly the UK cannot come to a deal until we are out of the EU. The EU has a further two years to satisfy member states over a US-EU trade deal before Brexit. I should think if they have not agreed a deal in that time then the UK will leapfrog them into first place.

But this first and second place and queue business is nonsense, don't you think? Is there a queue? Who is in it?

Red Eric Apr 23rd 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Hey, it wasn't my idea!

It was Obama who installed the queueing system, if I remember correctly - and he who said the UK would have to join the back of it. Brexiters pooh-poohed the idea and Trump said if he became Pres, the UK could just mosey on up there right to the front of that there queue (so obviously he agrees there is a queue).

Now, apparently, not only can the UK not go to the front of the queue because of their ongoing membership of the EU but also because the US wants the EU at the front, even though Trump has previously pronounced TTIP dead.

As for leapfrogging, is that the sort of British traditions and values you have fought so long and hard to restore? Sounds suspiciously like queue-jumping to me, which I thought was more of a foreign, non English speaker trait.

la mancha Apr 23rd 2017 1:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
That is what I am asking: is there a queue and who is the EU in front of? And does it matter to us as things stand?

iano Apr 23rd 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236215)
But this first and second place and queue business is nonsense, don't you think? Is there a queue? Who is in it?

There are quite a few countries in an FTA queue, manch. (see link below for EU version). All are at varying stages of negotiation; EU & Canada, the ink is barely dry on a done deal, 15 rounds of talks already completed between EU & USA, 17 rounds of talks by EU & Japan, fr'instance.

EU negotiators are given priorities (the queue) and are deployed accordingly, it is a very time/resource consuming business, apparently. I have read that UK negotiators are very thin on the ground and don't always have the necessary expertise or experience, so will have to learn quickly on the job.

All that time, energy and work to end up with something, in all likelihood, that is going to be inferior to that which we enjoy and benefit from right now.

You must appreciate why some of us think Brexit to be complete and utter nonsense, don't you ?

Overview of EU FTA & ongoing trade negotiations

US Trade Agreements

Hope this helps. :lol:

InVinoVeritas Apr 23rd 2017 2:13 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236176)
How long is the queue?

There is no queue, Obama used the expression figuratively and people have taken it literally. The US can pursue negotiations with the UK and EU in parallel. I think the UK has an open invitation to join NAFTA which may be a quicker route if Brexit negotiations get too bogged down.

EMR Apr 23rd 2017 2:24 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Nafta, have you read Trump's views of it.
Nafta only works in his mind if the US benefits.
He is now having a go at Canada because the Canadians can buy home produced products at lower prices than importing from the US.

iano Apr 23rd 2017 2:30 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12236233)
There is no queue.

:confused:

Trump puts EU ahead of Britain in trade queue

DaveLovesDee Apr 23rd 2017 2:52 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12236233)
I think the UK has an open invitation to join NAFTA.

Really! You think?

It's obvious you have no understanding of what NAFTA actually is. It's a North American Free Trade Agreement.

The UK joining NAFTA woild be as likely as the US joining the EU.

The UK and NAFTA countries could make an agreement, though it wouldnt be the same as NAFTA.

InVinoVeritas Apr 23rd 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12236257)
Really! You think?

It's obvious you have no understanding of what NAFTA actually is. It's a North American Free Trade Agreement.

The UK joining NAFTA woild be as likely as the US joining the EU.

The UK and NAFTA countries could make an agreement, though it wouldnt be the same as NAFTA.

Hmm, you may want to edit that post...

Britain could join USA, Canada and Mexico in new free trade area after Brexit

EMR Apr 23rd 2017 3:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12236268)

Could, maybe etc etc.
Says it all.

EMR Apr 23rd 2017 3:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12236229)
That is what I am asking: is there a queue and who is the EU in front of? And does it matter to us as things stand?


The UK is like the shopper standing behind the lady with two full trolleys who insists on questioning the price of everything and then pays in coins.
You get there eventually but have lost the will to live and the check out girl wants nothing to do with you.

InVinoVeritas Apr 23rd 2017 3:31 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12236282)
The UK is like the shopper standing behind the lady with two full trolleys who insists on questioning the price of everything and then pays in coins.
You get there eventually but have lost the will to live and the check out girl wants nothing to do with you.

You have inadvertently come up with a perfect description of the EU :goodpost:

EMR Apr 23rd 2017 3:36 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12236284)
You have inadvertently come up with a perfect description of the EU :goodpost:

I do not know where you have been for the last few years but obviously have no idea how Trump views the rest of the world.

Bipat Apr 23rd 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12236231)
There are quite a few countries in an FTA queue, manch. (see link below for EU version). All are at varying stages of negotiation; EU & Canada, the ink is barely dry on a done deal, 15 rounds of talks already completed between EU & USA, 17 rounds of talks by EU & Japan, fr'instance.

EU negotiators are given priorities (the queue) and are deployed accordingly, it is a very time/resource consuming business, apparently. I have read that UK negotiators are very thin on the ground and don't always have the necessary expertise or experience, so will have to learn quickly on the job.

All that time, energy and work to end up with something, in all likelihood, that is going to be inferior to that which we enjoy and benefit from right now.

You must appreciate why some of us think Brexit to be complete and utter nonsense, don't you ?

Overview of EU FTA & ongoing trade negotiations

US Trade Agreements

Hope this helps. :lol:

Your link to the EU/FTA ongoing trade negotiations (if I counted correctly) more than half are postponed-halted-stalled etc. the map shows these as 'being negotiated' which is not accurate.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:19 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.