British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Apr 18th 2017 8:25 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231314)
Whenever free trade agreements with non-EU countries are mentioned --Remain posters go on about ---'will it 'benefit' the UK, 'I am only interested in the UK' etc.

The EU is not a charitable institution that we join to 'help out'. All members expect there to be 'benefits' in joining.

But Britain isn't joining. It's leaving. When you cancel your membership, you don't continue to receive the benefits. Unless, of course, you're British. They even have popular telly programmes about it.

LouisB Apr 18th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231318)
Apologies I did not mean to be condescending but you did say "the anti-EU mob accepted it for 40 years".
(As you know then, the EEC was quite different)

No worries.
Yes I appreciate the EU has changed. So has the Uk, is no longer the sick-man of Europe either. Still you have to be in it to have a say in it and the change 😉

Honestly, the biggest issue with the EU is by far the Euro. For us not an issue, I'm glad. Probably they will have to either stabilise it or unwind it, the latter being very difficult.

LouisB Apr 18th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12231320)
But Britain isn't joining. It's leaving. When you cancel your membership, you don't continue to receive the benefits. Unless, of course, you're British. They even have popular telly programmes about it.

😂

Bipat Apr 18th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12231317)
Brexit was only about what was best for
them and the UK as they want it to be. not the rest of world.
Go and ask your fellow brexiters.

Obviously-- and as I have said to you many times --trade deals are not about 'charity'. You yourself have said so many times you are only interested in the UK.

Red Eric Apr 18th 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12231286)
If the vote had been on a constituency basis Gibraltar would not have had a vote thereby increasing the leave percentage.:p

However in the last 40+ years Spain has done it's utmost to ensure Gibraltar is excluded from as many EU benefits as possible.

What - like preventing it from being part of the customs union or the Schengen Area?

amideislas Apr 18th 2017 8:34 am

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12231321)
No worries.
Yes I appreciate the EU has changed. So has the Uk, is no longer the sick-man of Europe either. Still you have to be in it to have a say in it and the change 😉

Honestly, the biggest issue with the EU is by far the Euro. For us not an issue, I'm glad. Probably they will have to either stabilise it or unwind it, the latter being very difficult.

https://www.stratfor.com/sites/defau...rrencies_0.png

DaveLovesDee Apr 18th 2017 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231314)
The EU is not a charitable institution that we join to 'help out'. All members expect there to be 'benefits' in joining.

And all members expect to lose those benefits on leaving.

Assanah Apr 18th 2017 8:37 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12231335)

Yep, except in the UK that is called "punishment by the EU" :rofl:

Bipat Apr 18th 2017 8:39 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12231320)

You stated "benefits"--- "that's been the misunderstanding all along".

EMR Apr 18th 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231324)
Obviously-- and as I have said to you many times --trade deals are not about 'charity'. You yourself have said so many times you are only interested in the UK.

Why wouldn't I be, I believe in Fair trade but not trade that disadvantages UK manufacturers by the imposition of large tariffs from countries who want access to our markets.

Bipat Apr 18th 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12231335)

Obviously, but in such an institution as the EU there are reciprocal benefits between members. So when one leaves it is in the interests of all to get and amicable leaving 'settlement'.

amideislas Apr 18th 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12231336)
Yep, except in the UK that is called "punishment by the EU" :rofl:

If you didn't get council housing, money, and "free" healthcare when you quit your job (with other people's money), that would be punishment, wouldn't it?

Why should it be any different when "quitting" the EU?
We're entitled.

LouisB Apr 18th 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231340)
Obviously, but in such an institution as the EU there are reciprocal benefits between members. So when one leaves it is in the interests of all to get and amicable leaving 'settlement'.

Yes true, but it's a very lopsided situation. EU states will function without UK with minimal impact. For the UK, it's a massive part of our economy, the single largest part. So holding out on the you'll lose more than us is a bogus idea.

Naturally a best arrangement between states is the one you want. That's exactly what the EU was meant to be. I'm not sure how we are going to better that. I doubt we can, but I'll wait for the magic to appear.

Meanwhile, 27 other nations got their own interests to think of, they will protect themselves and each other while the UK goes about its misguided selfish agenda, for now.

amideislas Apr 18th 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231337)
You stated "benefits"--- "that's been the misunderstanding all along".

Expectation of entitlement. Britain has had that expectation for generations (and frankly, the history of its relationship with the EU has eerily testified to that).

But moving forward, it might be wise to realise that the "rest of the world" isn't Britain, nor shares the same unique mindset. Fog in the channel and all that.

Bipat Apr 18th 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12231339)
Why wouldn't I be, I believe in Fair trade but not trade that disadvantages UK manufacturers by the imposition of large tariffs from countries who want access to our markets.

EMR you have the idea that British negotiators are incompetent. You have the idea that non-EU countries will invade UK with their 'goods', with tariffs on imports and no negotiation!!!
That if I may say so just shows your Xenophobia, both sides in any deal want the best for themselves and any deal ends up a compromise for both sides.