British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Apr 17th 2017 8:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Britain’s Brexit consensus – Westmonster

The national consensus for Brexit continues to build, with 55% who would vote Leave if the referendum were held now.

Optimism is clearly building as the Remain scare stories continue to be debunked on a weekly basis and the UK embarks on a round of negotiations with the European Union.

Controlling borders, global trade deals and restoring proper nation state democracy are concepts that the British public are increasingly getting behind as the disastrous EU continues to fumble everything from the Eurozone to the migrant crisis.

Johnny Heald, managing director of Orb International who conducted the poll said: “Since November the British public are slowly becoming more comfortable with idea of Brexit.”

The hardcore pro-EU Remoaners are the new fringe politics !!!

:thumbup:

LouisB Apr 17th 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12230827)
Until Brexit negotiations start the final outcome cannot be known, it is not just up to the UK--there are two sides to any deal.

Why are you blindly sure it will be better then?

It is not going to be a "dream Utopia", just the next 40 years will get better than they would if they continued with the current EU arrangements.

I simply do not believe that, not even slightly. UK entered as sick man of Europe. Not impossible for us to return to that.

"Biased ant-EU claims and lies"---are you saying that the Remain campaign were not biased?? Are they not still promoting fear continually? At a time now when it is the last thing they should be doing if the UK wants a good outcome?

Yes the remain campaign was relatively straightforward and largely based on fact.

There was no big red bus
Scary invasions of foreigners
Threats of a Turkey joining
Conflation of Islam and fear of terrorism fuelling xenophobics
Conflation of all foreigners including illegals and those from RoW
Doctored reports to hide the benefits of immigrants and FoM
Pointing out the UK government could do more on FoM that they failed to do.
Devaluing pound would fix exports 🙄
I could go on

Amongst all the dumb bubble ideas behind leave, many have popped or will pop. Not even reduced immigration looks likely - except that people are leaving and may not want to come here...

LouisB Apr 17th 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12231014)
Britain’s Brexit consensus – Westmonster

The national consensus for Brexit continues to build, with 55% who would vote Leave if the referendum were held now.

Guess you didn't see already then, that 55% does not mean what you think it does. Go check the news (from they guy who created it)

LouisB Apr 17th 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12230927)
[/COLOR]

That's what is called ''brainwashing'' and proves to be very successful !

Indeed. If you do it, daily for decades, eventually people can't even see it at all, unfortunately.

Lion in Winter Apr 17th 2017 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12230984)
Once again I must say you do not understand ordinary people.

Who do you agree with?

I was agreeing with you, in that instance.

What makes you think that I'm not ordinary? And how is it that you are the spokesperson for ordinary people? You don't, for example, speak for me.

Bipat Apr 17th 2017 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12231018)
Why are you blindly sure it will be better then?

I simply do not believe that, not even slightly. UK entered as sick man of Europe. Not impossible for us to return to that.

Yes the remain campaign was relatively straightforward and largely based on fact.

There was no big red bus
Scary invasions of foreigners
Threats of a Turkey joining
Conflation of Islam and fear of terrorism fuelling xenophobics
Conflation of all foreigners including illegals and those from RoW
Doctored reports to hide the benefits of immigrants and FoM
Pointing out the UK government could do more on FoM that they failed to do.
Devaluing pound would fix exports
I could go on

Amongst all the dumb bubble ideas behind leave, many have popped or will pop. Not even reduced immigration looks likely - except that people are leaving and may not want to come here...

I am not blindly sure of anything, you apparently are.

What is your view of the Lisbon Treaty, the draft Constitution of the EU (yes D/D it was not ratified but gives an indication of the future), the creeping federalisation, the increased powers of the ECJ?

The EU is/should be just that/ a trade association. The majority of countries of the world are not members.

My views against UK membership of the EU began about 16 years ago and had nothing to do with immigration, although I later came to believe that it was better to have rules for migrants are based on skills/need and not nationality, which with free movement of one particular group was not possible.

We had a referendum, all who registered were able to vote according to their opinion. Can you explain the large number of people who didn't vote if you really believe all the apparent 'brain washing' by the D. Mail etc/

LouisB Apr 17th 2017 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231042)
I am not blindly sure of anything, you apparently are.

What is your view of the Lisbon Treaty, the draft Constitution of the EU (yes D/D it was not ratified but gives an indication of the future), the creeping federalisation, the increased powers of the ECJ?

The EU is/should be just that/ a trade association. The majority of countries of the world are not members.

My views against UK membership of the EU began about 16 years ago and had nothing to do with immigration, although I later came to believe that it was better to have rules for migrants are based on skills/need and not nationality, which with free movement of one particular group was not possible.

We had a referendum, all who registered were able to vote according to their opinion. Can you explain the large number of people who didn't vote if you really believe all the apparent 'brain washing' by the D. Mail etc/

I'm sure that the £ devalued already
That the money on the bus will never appear
That the UK did pretty well after joining from dire straits
That reports say immigration is a net benefit
That true freedoms of world are rarely better that a peaceful continent where people can live and work overseas
And that Turkey will not join (or the Middle East 🙄)
And UK has remained sovereign throughout
And the UK doesn't even use the Euro (never would)
Or even be in in the Schengen zone
And leaving the EU is far from certain, unless these fantasies start to materialise, I'll continue to call it out...

LouisB Apr 17th 2017 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231042)

Really easy.

Not everyone reads it.

Some of us chose not to read that shit.

Go figure.

LouisB Apr 17th 2017 9:47 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...40000-10244605

Maybe the new royal yacht would make the difference? 😂🙄

Bipat Apr 17th 2017 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12231046)
I'm sure that the £ devalued already
That the money on the bus will never appear
That the UK did pretty well after joining from dire straits
That reports say immigration is a net benefit
That true freedoms of world are rarely better that a peaceful continent where people can live and work overseas
And that Turkey will not join (or the Middle East 🙄)
And UK has remained sovereign throughout
And the UK doesn't even use the Euro (never would)
Or even be in in the Schengen zone
And leaving the EU is far from certain, unless these fantasies start to materialise, I'll continue to call it out...

You didn't reply to my enquiries as to your views on Lisbon Treaty, ECJ etc.

You don't believe in equal migration rules regardless of nationality?

This is an expat Forum ---we all live overseas.

Do you really think Europe will not be peaceful when we leave the EU group?

Brexit a fantasy?

LouisB Apr 17th 2017 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231058)
You didn't reply to my enquiries as to your views on Lisbon Treaty, ECJ etc.

You don't believe in equal migration rules regardless of nationality?

This is an expat Forum ---we all live overseas.

Do you really think Europe will not be peaceful when we leave the EU group?

Brexit a fantasy?

I'm not overly concerned by any of the EU stuff.

The biggest issue by far is the Euro. We're not in it.

As for the rest of the fear over an EU superstate etc, yeah right. Like we'd ever agree to that.

I mean if you're so right, we could just leave then, when it's really obviously an issue not guesswork.

Since war was mentioned with Spain within 2 weeks of art 50, who knows.

As for equal rights, well we're taking away our own rights to work overseas in the other countries.

our arrangement with RoW is exactly as I'd expect, given RoW is not in Europe and / or not met criteria for joining the EU (e.g. Turkey)

Bipat Apr 17th 2017 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12231053)

Just another negative propaganda regarding Brexit!

It has been explained so many times. That official talks and signing of any free trade deal cannot take place until Brexit actually takes place. It hasn't even started yet.
Unofficial talks have been going on since the result of the referendum.

The African countries mentioned are smaller economies.

LouisB Apr 17th 2017 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12231080)
Just another negative propaganda regarding Brexit!

It has been explained so many times. That official talks and signing of any free trade deal cannot take place until Brexit actually takes place. It hasn't even started yet.
Unofficial talks have been going on since the result of the referendum.

The African countries mentioned are smaller economies.

Yes, mostly anything brexit is negative.

amideislas Apr 17th 2017 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12231085)
Yes, mostly anything brexit is negative.

Only in "non-UK" media.

In the UK, the consensus is that brexit is really great, because it makes us feel "free" from some ambiguous, ominous force that we previously had no control of.

It's same sense of freedom you get from using fairy liquid. Or Vodafone pay-as-you-go. And that's why you'll pay more for it. It's a known brand.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 17th 2017 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12231005)
Since when do you understand what "ordinary people" means? Or care?

And yes, we're all impoverished here and "terrified" of brexit because we're so dependent on Britain. Better you don't come to see for yourself what you'd like to believe. You'd definitely find it rather troubling.

Guten abend Ami.

Good evening moaners.

Hope you've all enjoyed your Easter weekend whinge. ;)