British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Apr 16th 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12230396)
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

:amen::amen::amen:

Bipat Apr 16th 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12230396)
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Globalisation is what YOU voted for

I specifically was answering Eric's post. Replying that I had not mentioned "Globalisation" in my posts. The word has different meanings for different people.

I voted for an independent UK able to make free trade deals without EU restrictions, among other reasons which I won't repeat yet again.

(I might as well bang MY head, from reading yours and EMRs posts. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and I would have thought on an Expat Forum to relate the experiences regarding a different country to the subject under discussion.)

Annetje Apr 16th 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12230406)
I specifically was answering Eric's post. Replying that I had not mentioned "Globalisation" in my posts. The word has different meanings for different people.

I voted for an independent UK able to make free trade deals without EU restrictions, among other reasons which I won't repeat yet again.

(I might as well bang MY head, from reading yours and EMRs posts. We are all entitled to our own opinions, and I would have thought on an Expat Forum to relate the experiences regarding a different country to the subject under discussion.)

NOBODY gives a dime about what YOU voted for, especially Mrs May (the dictator) who has her own views !!! You won, get used to it !!!!

Lion in Winter Apr 16th 2017 9:53 pm

Speaking of what people voted for, did they vote for a flow of banks to EU centres and a possible rival hub to London?

Lloyds eyes Berlin for post-Brexit push - BBC News

Because it seems to be what we are getting.

Annetje Apr 16th 2017 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12230410)
I think I give up----your last post ---the words "Globalisation is what YOU VOTED FOR".

:starsmile::starsmile:

I was not allowed to vote

Dick Dasterdly Apr 16th 2017 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12230409)
Speaking of what people voted for, did they vote for a flow of banks to EU centres and a possible rival hub to London?

Lloyds eyes Berlin for post-Brexit push - BBC News

Because it seems to be what we are getting.

Wishful thinking my dear.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...despite-brexit

London Remains Top Financial Center in Survey Despite Brexit

:thumbup:

Dick Dasterdly Apr 16th 2017 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12230386)
How would you measure "a benefit for the UK"?

Because, to my mind, the only way the UK can be seen to have benefitted is if the living standards of the worst-off rise.

If the economy is shown to have improved but the worst-off remain at the same level or worse then it wasn't of benefit. Would you agree with me on that?

Exactly what's wrong with the Eu, you mean ?

Along with countless other things.....

:cool:

Lion in Winter Apr 16th 2017 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12230416)
Wishful thinking my dear.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...despite-brexit

London Remains Top Financial Center in Survey Despite Brexit

:thumbup:

And that, of course, is where we are now. And have been, while in the EU.

However, if you actually read the article it says (in the very first paragraph):

"London has retained the mantle as the world’s top financial center, though uncertainty about the implications of Britain’s vote to leave the European Union saw its lead over Asian rivals narrow, according to a study."

and a few lines further on:

" London and New York fell 13 and 14 points respectively, the largest declines in the top 50 financial centers other than Calgary."

and a few lines on from that:

"Britain’s role as the world’s pre-eminent banking hub is at risk if the U.K.’s separation from the EU costs banks their ability to easily serve clients across the region. U.S. banks currently sell their goods and services throughout the bloc from bases in London, but the so-called passporting rights enabling that are unlikely to be extended after Brexit."

So while I would like to believe in your expertise in international banking, I'm afraid you are not inspiring confidence.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 16th 2017 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12230324)
As usual I fear the rich will be taken care of and the poor will suffer.
What annoys me the most is when she says she is obeying ''the will of the people'' whilst everybody knows it is just the will of a minority !

At the risk of repeating myself, no better example of such inequality can be found than within the Eu.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 16th 2017 10:17 pm

http://www.economist.com/news/europe...urope-widening

Inequality in the euro zone
The gap between poor and rich regions in Europe is widening.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 16th 2017 10:19 pm

Please, LiW, not more fearmongering after all the wild predictions which have already been debunked.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 16th 2017 10:21 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glob..._Centres_Index

Lion in Winter Apr 16th 2017 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12230422)
And that, of course, is where we are now. And have been, while in the EU.

However, if you actually read the article it says (in the very first paragraph):

"London has retained the mantle as the world’s top financial center, though uncertainty about the implications of Britain’s vote to leave the European Union saw its lead over Asian rivals narrow, according to a study."

and a few lines further on:

" London and New York fell 13 and 14 points respectively, the largest declines in the top 50 financial centers other than Calgary."

and a few lines on from that:

"Britain’s role as the world’s pre-eminent banking hub is at risk if the U.K.’s separation from the EU costs banks their ability to easily serve clients across the region. U.S. banks currently sell their goods and services throughout the bloc from bases in London, but the so-called passporting rights enabling that are unlikely to be extended after Brexit."

So while I would like to believe in your expertise in international banking, I'm afraid you are not inspiring confidence.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12230426)
Please, LiW, not more fearmongering after all the wild predictions which have already been debunked.

Do you consider Bloomberg, the source you yourself just quoted and from where those points italicized above come, to be a fearmonger?

Why, then, did you quote it?

And why don't you "debunk" the content of the article then?You did supply the link to it. Of course, you may have to read it first.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 16th 2017 10:43 pm

We heard it all before the referendum and much worse.

Yet the predicted Armageddon never happened.
The Sky hasn't fallen in
and the further we progress the less and less the forecasts of doom and gloom appear credible.

Less and less demands of a second referendum as we came up to triggering the Brexit process, for the simple reason that public opinion in favour of Leaving has continued to increase as more information became available and there could only ever have been one result.

Dodgy Dave failed miserably.

By going for a quick referendum he thought he could pull the wool over everybodies eyes till it was over, with a massive propaganda campaign on every front possible at a cost of many times more than the Leave campaign could ever dream of.

Now the cat is out of the bag, the hoss has bolted and support for Brexit rolls on.

Lion in Winter Apr 16th 2017 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12230433)
We heard it all before the referendum and much worse.

Yet the predicted Armageddon never happened.
The Sky hasn't fallen in
and the further we progress the less and less the forecasts of doom and gloom appear credible.

Less and less demands of a second referendum as we came up to triggering the Brexit process, for the simple reason that public opinion in favour of Leaving has continued to increase as more information became available and there could only ever have been one result.

Dodgy Dave failed miserably.

By going for a quick referendum he thought he could pull the wool over everybodies eyes till it was over, with a massive propaganda campaign on every front possible at a cost of many times more than the Leave campaign could ever dream of.

Now the cat is out of the bag, the hoss has bolted and support for Brexit rolls on.

So why did you post a link to an article that demonstrates concerns over the future of London as the banking centre and describes a weakening in its position in that respect?

Are you going to address any of the points raised in that article - that you posted?