Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:15 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Not quite sure what you are getting at? (India already the third largest foreign investor into the UK).
The UK already imports cheap textiles and other goods from Bangladesh/China etc.
There is welfare for example in India, and cost of living is far lower than the UK so can't really be compared.
As I said above it is not about goods only---see links in other thread.
Forget India, it had nothing to do with the reasons why those who voted ticked one box or the other.
I believe as do the majority of commentators that the no vote was influenced by a number of factors that had in reality little to do with EU membership.
However brexit turns out those factors will still remain and affect the lives of those who voted no.
It is how they react was the basis of article posted earlier today.
Will the UK continue its drift towards the right with brexit used as the excuse for more austerity, cuts in social services, increasing divisions in our society ?.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
Forget India, it had nothing to do with the reasons why those who voted ticked one box or the other.
I believe as do the majority of commentators that the no vote was influenced by a number of factors that had in reality little to do with EU membership.
However brexit turns out those factors will still remain and affect the lives of those who voted no.
It is how they react was the basis of article posted earlier today.
Will the UK continue its drift towards the right with brexit used as the excuse for more austerity, cuts in social services, increasing divisions in our society ?.
I know that, I was answering the post regarding cheap imports.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:25 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I'm interested in how you and others on the Leave side reconcile free trade with the UK's ability to henceforth pump money into key industries. How do you think those countries queueing up to sign on the dotted line will feel about that?

How will the low-paid and their employers in the UK feel about competition in their home market from goods produced in countries where there's no minimum wage and no welfare and workers get by on a fraction of what it costs to survive in the UK?
Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
You might as well talk about the UK in a few years time
[/COLOR]
Hope so.
There is far more optimism, advances in the economy, expectations across the classes, satisfaction with the Government, increasing welfare for the very poor in the one I know.

(Could do with the NHS though). However medical 'tourism' is an increasing benefit to local income and UK people.
That was the order of the posts ... Not too difficult to follow he ?

So when you say HOPE SO you mean No minimum wage, welfare etcccc (see Eric's post)

Not sure why I correct you, but it's done now.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:26 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I know that, I was answering the post regarding cheap imports.
But as usual you introduced India into the discussions.
It has nothing to do with Brexit.
As did or does EU membership for those who made the difference in the vote.
As they will find out when the dust finally settles.

Last edited by EMR; Apr 16th 2017 at 9:30 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jetsam1 View Post
I know! But they can design and implement. And as labour costs are lower will obviously outcompete any UK product or company.

This will go down badly in Brexit areas certainly in the post industrial north. The future is education but the Tories don't care about it.
I agree with you about education, it is not that they don't care--they don't listen to teachers telling them what is needed.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
But as usual you introduced India into the discusdions.
It has nothing to do with Brexit.
As did or does EU membership for those who made the difference in the vote.
As they will find out when the dust finally settles.
I did not introduce it, I answered a post which mentioned it!!! Post Brexit trade has nothing to do with Brexit????
(You really have a strange phobia about it.)

So you say EU membership had nothing to do with the reason people voted to leave it. A bizarre statement!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:46 pm
EMR
Banned

I did not introduce it, I answered a post which mentioned it!!! Post Brexit trade has nothing to do with Brexit????
(You really have a strange phobia about it.)

So you say EU membership had nothing to do with the reason people voted to leave it. A bizarre statement!
Your post 16857,India yet again.
Tell me how leaving the EU is going to bring back heavy industry to the UK.
How it's going to stop the UK population ageing with all that means for pressures on the NHS and care services.
How it will affect the increasing social divides.
How it will change the attitudes of those who feel that the UK is adversely affected by the multi ethnic and religious changes in the UK bought about by non EU migration.
All the above and many more are reasons why the NO vote was used to signal a dissatisfaction with their lives.

Last edited by EMR; Apr 16th 2017 at 9:49 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
That was the order of the posts ... Not too difficult to follow he ?

So when you say HOPE SO you mean No minimum wage, welfare etcccc (see Eric's post)

Not sure why I correct you, but it's done now.
I was answering your post, yes it was slightly sarcastic.

I had already replied to Eric pointing out that his view of one of the countries mentioned was inaccurate.

You then said you hoped that would be the UK in a few years time, I said I hoped so (sarcastic) but for the accurate reasons I stated.

Sorry if that is difficult to follow.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:54 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite sure what you are getting at? (India already the third largest foreign investor into the UK).
The UK already imports cheap textiles and other goods from Bangladesh/China etc.
There is welfare for example in India, and cost of living is far lower than the UK so can't really be compared.
As I said above it is not about goods only---see links in other thread.
I'm not sure why it is you're having so much trouble with such simple concepts.

You want free trade. You also want the UK government to be able to support UK industries. To what extent do you think potential trading partners in FTAs will allow subsidised UK industries to compete against their unsubsidised home markets?

There's been a lot of talk about how damaging "globalisation" is. Membership of the EU is being blamed for bringing globalisation to the UK. Yet out of the EU, the apparent aim is for the UK to be the standard-bearer for free trade. How is free trade outside the EU different from free trade as a member state of the EU in terms of keeping globalisation at arms' lenth from the UK?
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:56 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I had already replied to Eric pointing out that his view of one of the countries mentioned was inaccurate.
I didn't mention any countries specifically
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:57 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

You want free trade. You also want the UK government to be able to support UK industries. To what extent do you think potential trading partners in FTAs will allow subsidised UK industries to compete against their unsubsidised home markets?

There's been a lot of talk about how damaging "globalisation" is. Membership of the EU is being blamed for bringing globalisation to the UK. Yet out of the EU, the apparent aim is for the UK to be the standard-bearer for free trade. How is free trade outside the EU different from free trade as a member state of the EU in terms of keeping globalisation at arms' lenth from the UK?
Please Eric, keep it simple so you're not confusing Bipat !!!!
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:02 pm
Who - me?

I know exactly why I voted for Brexit, I thought it would be a benefit for the UK.
How would you measure "a benefit for the UK"?

Because, to my mind, the only way the UK can be seen to have benefitted is if the living standards of the worst-off rise.

If the economy is shown to have improved but the worst-off remain at the same level or worse then it wasn't of benefit. Would you agree with me on that?
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't mention any countries specifically
Apologies it was 'Jetsam1', but as you followed on with your post I assumed you were referring to the same countries.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have not mentioned "globalisation", I have only discussed a free trade agreement with the country which I happen to know. Three ministers, Mark Carney there in the last two weeks with that idea. EU has failed to get a FTA.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:16 pm
Preparing to move again

Globalisation is what YOU voted for

Last edited by Annetje; Apr 16th 2017 at 10:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.