British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Apr 14th 2017 1:36 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Always good to be optimistic.

Like those newbies aspiring to move to Costa del Brit and get rich by opening up an(other) authentic English pub.

Red Eric Apr 14th 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12229102)
Eric, I have no problem with this. I posted a comment and the usual mob of prejudiced sadoes jumped on me. I did not say the fantastic Mail campaigns, which, as far as I know, no other newspaper has initiated, was its main selling point. For the last time, and calm down and read what I am writing so it goes in, my only point is the Mail has undertaken some wonderful campaigns on issues that really matter, something that no other newspaper has done.

You, Eric, go on and ask if the campaigns have been successful or can the outcome be attributed to the Mail? Your petty reasoning is pathetic. The Mail runs campaigns, something no other newspaper will do. That is all.

As far as I am concerned my point has been made and I will leave it there.

I don't think your point has been made at all. Are you saying it's the job of newspapers to campaign and all except the Mail are failing in their duty? I thought they were there primarily to report news in as impartial a manner as possible - although in the UK it seems most are primarily there to influence public opinion, usually in the direction of the interests of their elite owners.

So the Mail jumps on the odd bandwagon and puts in a good word for something here and there, without acknowledging the existing campaigns and campaigners. So what? Does that help to salve its readers' consciences for all the bile it publishes that they agree with?

EMR Apr 14th 2017 1:36 pm

DLD. I did not say the Mail won anything. I said it ran a campaign and which other newspaper did? As for your jibe about the Welsh assembly, once again you miss the point, as most of you do, that it is the campaigns I am referring to. Because the Welsh brought in the ban before the UK is no fault of the Mail. They do not run the government.

Eric, I have no problem with this. I posted a comment and the usual mob of prejudiced sadoes jumped on me. I did not say the fantastic Mail campaigns, which, as far as I know, no other newspaper has initiated, was its main selling point. For the last time, and calm down and read what I am writing so it goes in, my only point is the Mail has undertaken some wonderful campaigns on issues that really matter, something that no other newspaper has done.

You, Eric, go on and ask if the campaigns have been successful or can the outcome be attributed to the Mail? Your petty reasoning is pathetic. The Mail runs campaigns, something no other newspaper will do. That is all.

As far as I am concerned my point has been made and I will leave it there.

You obviously have not read the Sunday Times and know of its history.
But given you views and support of the Mail and it's views, why would you.

SultanOfSwing Apr 14th 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12229106)
What a lot of whining, moaning, gloomy depressives on here today! Why don’t you get out into the sun and soak up a few rays? It will do you good to get some of the anger out of your systems.

You know, if you keep repeating the same things over and over and over and over and over again, it doesn't make them true.

Sounds like you need a cup of tea.

Lion in Winter Apr 14th 2017 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12229122)

Sounds like you need a cup of tea.

And a bit of a sit-down.

And why, in the name of all that's unholy, are we arguing about newspapers?

SultanOfSwing Apr 14th 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12229141)
And a bit of a sit-down.

And why, in the name of all that's unholy, are we arguing about newspapers?

**** all else better to do, eh?

la mancha Apr 14th 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12229112)
I don't think your point has been made at all. Are you saying it's the job of newspapers to campaign and all except the Mail are failing in their duty? I thought they were there primarily to report news in as impartial a manner as possible - although in the UK it seems most are primarily there to influence public opinion, usually in the direction of the interests of their elite owners.

So the Mail jumps on the odd bandwagon and puts in a good word for something here and there, without acknowledging the existing campaigns and campaigners. So what? Does that help to salve its readers' consciences for all the bile it publishes that they agree with?

Look, do you understand English?

I am saying the Mail has had many important campaigns where other newspapers haven’t. That is it. That is all. Do you understand?

Your prejudiced comments are getting more pathetic by the post. If you hate the Mail so much, okay. Who gives a damn? I don’t. Let’s leave it there. A plague of locusts on the Daily Mail. Happy now??!! Jeez...

Novocastrian Apr 14th 2017 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12229221)

I am saying the Mail has had many important campaigns where other newspapers haven’t. That is it. That is all. Do you understand?

Your prejudiced comments are getting more pathetic by the post. If you hate the Mail so much, okay. Who gives a damn? I don’t. Let’s leave it there. A plague of locusts on the Daily Mail. Happy now??!! Jeez...

Could we make a compromise on the Black Death?

amideislas Apr 14th 2017 5:04 pm

Blah blah...

Bloody forners

Red Eric Apr 14th 2017 6:15 pm

You're awfully tetchy today. Is it the piles again?

Anyhow, with the greatest of respect, don't you think you've wasted enough of everybody's time talking about campaigning newspapers? I really think it's time to return to the thread topic, which is Post EU Referendum rather than wittering on about plastic bags et al which have nothing at all to do with it (although the UK will, of course, be free to repeal any laws relating to the EU Directive on Plastic Bags when it finally leaves and takes back control).

But for now, :focus:

DaveLovesDee Apr 14th 2017 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12229149)
**** all else better to do, eh?

The Sex Pistols had it right.....

It was on the good ship Venus
By Christ, you should've seen us
The figurehead was a whore in bed
And the mast was a mammoth penis

The captain of this lugger
He was a dirty bugger
He wasn't fit to shovel shit
From one place to another

[Chorus:]
Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
There was f*** all else to do

Friggin' in the Riggin'

DaveLovesDee Apr 14th 2017 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12228794)
Feb. 2008

Banish The Bags: The Mail launches a campaign to clean up the country ... and the planet | Daily Mail Online

June 2014

At last! Plastic bags are banished: Victory for Mail's six-year campaign as Ministers force reluctant supermarkets to impose 5p charge

Plastic bags are banished as ministers force supermarkets to impose 5p charge | Daily Mail Online

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12228846)
What took the rest of the UK so long? The Welsh Assembly brought in a 5p minimum bag charge in October 2011. England, NI and Scotland didn't get theirs for another 3 years.....

DLD Because the Welsh brought in the ban before the UK is no fault of the Mail.

The UK government brought in the bag ban because of an EU Directive (you know, the same EU we're leaving), whereas Wales brought in long before that. And they didn't need a newspaper campaign to do it.

la mancha Apr 14th 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12229295)
You're awfully tetchy today. Is it the piles again?

Anyhow, with the greatest of respect, don't you think you've wasted enough of everybody's time talking about campaigning newspapers? I really think it's time to return to the thread topic, which is Post EU Referendum rather than wittering on about plastic bags et al which have nothing at all to do with it (although the UK will, of course, be free to repeal any laws relating to the EU Directive on Plastic Bags when it finally leaves and takes back control).

But for now, :focus:

Olé!

Red Eric Apr 14th 2017 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12229364)
Olé!

There's a campaign to ban bullfighting?

amideislas Apr 14th 2017 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12229372)
There's a campaign to ban bullfighting?

Says that (olé) to me too. Never understood what it means, really.

I think manch is just, well, in a zone all by himself ('except for dicky boy, of course). Both apparently live in a "special" reality.