British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Apr 13th 2017 12:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12228441)
Whp remembers this?

Why the government believes that voting to remain in the EU is the best decision for the UK

How much of what Leavers termed 'Project Fear' at the time has since been proven to be 'Project Fact'? :p

UK food price inflation highest since 2014 due to fall in sterling following the Brexit vote.
Greedy foreigners to blame, they should be gratefull that we want their stuff.

LouisB Apr 13th 2017 1:00 pm

Again missing the point if you can't see the difference between those pulling the strings and those having them pulled.

In this respect 17m are not the elite, quite the opposite. Emotional pull of strings, by those manipulating them.

Turkeys voting for Christmas is a fairly apt analogy 😉

Exceptions will always exist, but let's be clear 17m are not the elite I was referring too, the opposite if anything. Ironically sad.

la mancha Apr 13th 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12228449)
It's not totally accurate to suggest those with a brexit mindset are from the elite in our society.
Not sure what you would call the Leicester supporters arrested in Madrid.
One of the chants was " f**** off you Spanish, Gibraltar is ours ".

What does ‘f****’ mean?
Anyone?

iano Apr 13th 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12228449)
It's not totally accurate to suggest those with a brexit mindset are from the elite in our society.
Not sure what you would call the Leicester supporters arrested in Madrid.
One of the chants was " f**** off you Spanish, Gibraltar is ours ".

Rock apes ?

la mancha Apr 13th 2017 1:47 pm

The Daily Mail has campaigned on the Lawrence case, Sergeant Blackman, the MPs’ expenses scandal, plastic bags, toxic microbeads etc. etc. I ask again, can anyone tell me any other newspaper that has been so active in campaigns that matter so much?

Many of the links on BE come from the Guardian and the Independent. The Guardian has such a low readership that it has to resort to begging its internet trolls for money to stay in business. The Independent wrote such rubbish when in publication that it folded completely and is now only available online to satisfy the trolls. So I repeat my question, ‘can anyone tell me any other newspaper that has been so active in campaigns that matter so much?’ If you cannot name one then I, and I suspect many others, will treat your opinions as prejudiced and hollow.

Lion in Winter Apr 13th 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12228490)
The Daily Mail has campaigned on the Lawrence case, Sergeant Blackman, the MPs’ expenses scandal, plastic bags, toxic microbeads etc. etc. I ask again, can anyone tell me any other newspaper that has been so active in campaigns that matter so much?

Many of the links on BE come from the Guardian and the Independent. The Guardian has such a low readership that it has to resort to begging its internet trolls for money to stay in business. The Independent wrote such rubbish when in publication that it folded completely and is now only available online to satisfy the trolls. So I repeat my question, ‘can anyone tell me any other newspaper that has been so active in campaigns that matter so much?’ If you cannot name one then I, and I suspect many others, will treat your opinions as prejudiced and hollow.

Why does everything have to be so binary? Isn't it possible that a paper's position on one thing is strong, while on another it's complete made-up garbage? Why do you want to divide the world into clans and pit them against each other? The politics of populism are extremely divisive.

LouisB Apr 13th 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12228441)
Whp remembers this?

Why the government believes that voting to remain in the EU is the best decision for the UK

How much of what Leavers termed 'Project Fear' at the time has since been proven to be 'Project Fact'? :p

All of it. Most of the brexit fantasy hyperbole evaporated within a few days of the EU opinion poll.

DaveLovesDee Apr 13th 2017 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12228490)

By the same reckoning then, The S*n also backed Leave, so does this also mean they were right in their smear campaign against Liverpool fans at Hillsborough?

Red Eric Apr 13th 2017 2:06 pm

The MPs' expenses scandal was, I believe, exposed by the Telegraph.

The Guardian has long had a section specifically dedicated to the environment and has also been particularly strong on investigative journalism of late. Surely that can't have escaped your attention, la mancha?

As for plastic bags, did the UK introduce the charge in response to the DM or because it was required to do something by dint of its membership of the EU?

iano Apr 13th 2017 2:08 pm

Unsurprisingly, the Daily Mail spreads more EU-linked lies than anyone else.

Top of the table, you must be so proud, manch. :p

SultanOfSwing Apr 13th 2017 2:09 pm

I was always more of an Andrex man, myself ...

Lion in Winter Apr 13th 2017 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12228500)
I was always more of an Andrex man, myself ...

At least Andrex comes in different colours.

SultanOfSwing Apr 13th 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12228501)
At least Andrex comes in different colours.

And once they are used, they do a great impression of the Express ...

LouisB Apr 13th 2017 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12228503)
And once they are used, they do a great impression of the Express ...

😂

la mancha Apr 13th 2017 2:37 pm

My posts said nothing about the EU or Brexit or lies or anything else to do with what other newspapers are dedicated to, so your answers are hollow. I am referring to campaigns and the prejudiced comments against the Mail. You have all jumped to the wrong conclusion again. My posts reflect your constant prejudiced views against a newspaper.

A xenophobic hate rag? Do you (LouisB) mean the newspaper that has campaigned for justice for Stephen Lawrence?

Name one other newspaper that campaigned so vigorously for Stephen Lawrence? Just one.

Eric, I am not talking about who exposed what or which newspaper has dedicated sections in their newspapers: I am talking about campaigns, for example the Daily Mail 'Bring them to Justice Campaign' aimed at bringing private prosecutions against corrupt politicians in the MPs' expenses scandal.