British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Aug 17th 2016 10:59 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 12029012)
I see reports that Nigel Farage was spotted in line at the German embassy, he of course denies he was there for a German passport. He has also grown a mustache.

Could have something to do with this:

Old schoolmate sends open letter to Nigel Farage
Exclusive: Schoolfriend breaks 34-year silence and pens open letter to the man who brought about Brexit,

"Dear Nigel… I wish your teenage fascist views had been dealt with..."

Dick Dasterdly Aug 17th 2016 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12028903)
check out this paradox:thumbsup:
UK unemployment claimant count falls after Brexit vote

from none other than the guardian!!!!
https://www.theguardian.com/business...s-after-brexit

Oh dear, it's not quite turning out as you hoped and expected I see Ami. :cool:

Dick Dasterdly Aug 17th 2016 11:41 pm

Who knows, the amount of Gold that team GB are going to be carrying home might even make up for the gold reserves that Brown mucked away.

What a time to be alive !!! :thumbsup:

Wol Aug 18th 2016 1:26 am

Ami:

>>...small land mass which supports a proportionately large population,...<<

I don't want to enter into yet more back and forth over the "migrant" thingy, but your post does point to one of the issues that obviously garners a lot of votes. I believe you should have said "DIS"proportionately. Brits have accepted millions of Jonny foreigners :sarcasm: over the centuries, but many have now seen that the country is full. It's nothing to do with xenophobia, refugees, EU migrants or anything like that, although some will put it like that.

The world's in one hell of a mess, all over. And overpopulation has a great deal to do with it. Like rats in a small cage.

Merkel's knee jerk reaction to the asylum crisis (which ain't going to go away) without any regard for the rest of the EU merely shows up the effective direction of the EU for what it is - and more people didn't like that than did in the referendum.

Which again comes down to national accountability and sovereignty.

TGA Aug 18th 2016 5:45 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12028916)
Thanks tga. But can you explain why that has anything to do with brexit or the EU (I'd have to suspect it has more to do with the EU and/or immigration than brexit).

Oh, look here:

At least the good news is that all those foreigners will be paying taxes. And that will help pay for all those "real" Brits on benefits street.

I covered benefits before.. keep up luv:starsmile:

Red Eric Aug 18th 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12029051)
Who knows, the amount of Gold that team GB are going to be carrying home might even make up for the gold reserves that Brown mucked away.

It's going to be a very interesting benchmark - the last Olympics prior to Brexit. We'll be able to verify in 3 or 4 Olympics' time whether the Brexit effect has been good, bad or indifferent in terms of sporting prowess. If the UK does enjoy the post-Brexit economic boom currently being forecast by Leavers I guess some of that might be ploughed into the sports facilities and training and development that lead to increased participation in sport and enhanced medal prospects.

amideislas Aug 18th 2016 9:02 am

This might offer some perspective about why Britain fears Europe

Brits are hard-wired to keep the rest of Europe at arm's length, despite the facts

This subliminal Europhobia has developed over the past two decades as the rest of Europe has integrated while UK politicians desperate to maintain their importance have pretended to "bravely" stand up to the process while actually being too timid to take part.

Dick Dasterdly Aug 18th 2016 9:58 am

Especially for you,Ami. ;). :lol:

UK to avoid recession and world economy to ‘stabilise’ as Brexit shock passes - but US poses biggest risk to global growth

Beaverstate Aug 18th 2016 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12029257)

Ah but the all important housing starts are headed up, along with wages and a strong demand for qualified workers.

DaveLovesDee Aug 18th 2016 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 12029084)
Brits have accepted millions of Jonny foreigners :sarcasm: over the centuries, but many have now seen that the country is full.

Yes, those Roman foreigners and those French foreigners who invaded our shores throughout history were eagerly accepted by the Brits of those times.

As for Britain being 'full'.

European population densities

While there are many countries with lower population densities in Europe, there are also many with higher densities.

In 2012, it was calculated that only "6.8% of the UK's land area is now classified as urban" (a definition that includes rural development and roads, by the way).

amideislas Aug 18th 2016 10:19 am

We'll see what happens should Britain leave the EU. We really won't know until probably sometime around the next elections. And a lot can change in that time.

Looks like the banks are going to exit either way. The uncertainty about how the government can deal with this paradox outweighs the benefits of simply moving to a more stable and predictable jurisdiction.
Banks Won’t Wait Around to See What Brexit Deal the U.K. Can Get

Dismayed by the lack of a clear plan to protect the U.K.’s status as a global financial hub, executives are planning for the worst — that they will lose the right to sell services freely around the European Union from the City, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are private. Facing a long process with potential waits for regulatory approvals before workers can pack their bags, banks want to start quickly in order to have new or expanded offices set up in Europe before the end of the two-year Brexit negotiation period.
World’s biggest banks already plotting mass exodus from London after Brexit

An isolated London would be a particularly acute problem for Wall Street banks given the significant revenue they generate from EU clients. EU staff from 87 per cent of US investment banks are located in the UK, which is also home to 78 per cent of the region’s capital markets activity, according to think tank New Financial.

amideislas Aug 18th 2016 10:26 am

I was wondering why the tabloids hadn't yet started screaming about all these new jobs going to "Johnny Foreigner". I figured that argument must be pretty much dead now, since we've "left" the EU.

But I reckon any shock headline is worth tossing together another fear editorial:

Shock EU migrant figures REVEALED: 2.2 MILLION now work in Britain - Daily Express

A HUGE rise in EU migrants working in Britain has renewed calls for an accelerated Brexit.

Bipat Aug 18th 2016 10:49 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12029266)
Yes, those Roman foreigners and those French foreigners who invaded our shores throughout history were eagerly accepted by the Brits of those times.

As for Britain being 'full'.

European population densities

While there are many countries with lower population densities in Europe, there are also many with higher densities.

In 2012, it was calculated that only "6.8% of the UK's land area is now classified as urban" (a definition that includes rural development and roads, by the way).

Yes, you are right I don't think the British exactly welcomed the Romans, it took a hundred years to conquer, then they 'took over'.
Possibly Theresa Boadicea May, will do better than her ancestor!!

I thought her Statement was at least promising.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...er-theresa-may

As to overcrowding it is schools, NHS etc. which are affected by over crowding.

The beauty of the open country side has always been valued by the British and also by migrants who settle in UK. It was certainly one of the reasons why OH decided to stay a for few years when came to UK just for exams.
I come from Norfolk originally and a large number of immigrant origin people come to the coast there for holidays.

DaveLovesDee Aug 18th 2016 10:50 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12029273)
I was wondering why the tabloids hadn't yet started screaming about all these new jobs going to "Johnny Foreigner". I figured that argument must be pretty much dead now, since we've "left" the EU.

But I reckon any shock headline is worth tossing together another fear editorial:

Shock EU migrant figures REVEALED: 2.2 MILLION now work in Britain - Daily Express

A HUGE rise in EU migrants working in Britain has renewed calls for an accelerated Brexit.

UK jobless total falls to 1.64 million

So if we remove the EU nationals from their jobs, we can employ the 1.64 million unemployed and still have over half a million job vacancies for those we want to give visas to.

Assuming every one of the unemployed has the skills and the willingness to actually take those jobs.

Wol Aug 18th 2016 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12029235)
This subliminal Europhobia has developed over the past two decades as the rest of Europe has integrated while UK politicians desperate to maintain their importance have pretended to "bravely" stand up to the process while actually being too timid to take part.[/URL]

Well, in the words of Mandy Rice-Davis, the Grauniad would say that, wouldn't they?

The "rest" of Europe is hardly as integrated as the Grauniad would like. Common language? Infighting about borders? Some countries being effectively ruled from Frankfurt?

The idealistic view of a Europe with a common outlook and purpose isn't what I can see from my perspective.

These arguments are going round and round. Only time will tell, and I am afraid that the outcome will be what neither Remainers nor Brexiters will like.