British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Apr 11th 2017 1:32 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12226785)
A Perfect place to send all the Remoaners,
where they can merrily moan to their hearts content with nobody to listen to them but the seagulls.

Mind I'm guessing even they'd get pissed off with them after about six months or so.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

If, in your usual insightful and mature way, you are referring to people who have reservations of one kind or another over the wisdom of leaving the EU, I'm afraid you will find that we don't fit on that particular piece of real estate.

In fact, a very large part of the government, including those running the exit process, and a very large part of the business community also seem to have such reservations and are now engaged in limiting change as much as possible. You will have to find a bigger rock for us all I'm afraid. I mean, you can't even fit all the damn immigrants on that thing.

Lion in Winter Apr 11th 2017 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12226795)
:thumbdown:

You'll have to excuse him. I believe the bars are now open on the Costas.

Fredbargate Apr 11th 2017 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12226801)

Do they ever close?

Novocastrian Apr 11th 2017 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12226671)
Freed from the EU's shackles, Brexit Britain can rekindle the regions

"Government intervention is back in vogue. Not too long ago, the words “industrial strategy” would have brought many business people out in hives. Surely we should let the free market be, allow survival of the fittest. Don’t you remember the Seventies?

Now, everything has changed. With the Brexit vote and the triggering of Article 50 behind us, what lies ahead? We are moving into uncharted territory and at a time like this, it is understandable that business is supportive of a more interventionist steer from Government.

Despite causing much of the uncertainty, Brexit will also create new opportunities. EU rules ban the UK from state aid, enforcing the ruthlessness of the market often at a very high cost. For instance, EU rules on state aid tied the Government’s hands when it came to the survival of Tata Steel. Should such a situation arise in the future, the Government would in theory have more options."

You do know that Tata Steel is an Indian company? While, as is well known, Nissan is from Sunderland. Do you think that EDF stands for the English Defence Federation?

EMR Apr 11th 2017 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12226962)
You do know that Tata Steel is an Indian company? While, as is well known, Nissan is from Sunderland. Do you think that EDF stands for the English Defence Federation?

Dick's usual rubbish.
It was the UK that blocked the higher tariffs on cheap imported steel the EU and Tata
wanted.
But the poor old souls memory has gone the same way as his understanding of facts.
Tata is now in negotiations with the German multi National conglomerate Thyssens.
No doubt that will send him into another carpet chewing frenzy.

Red Eric Apr 11th 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12226861)
Do they ever close?

Oh, poor, poor Dick :(

Is there any hope at all, do you think?

Dick Dasterdly Apr 11th 2017 10:46 pm

Must admit, I feel truly flattered by all the attention I get on here, mostly when I'm not even on line !

Sorry I never have enough time to return the compliment.

However if my popularity continues to flourish like this, maybe I can begin to consider myself a "celebrity"
:rofl:

As for the Costas, I paid my first visit to the beach this year only last week.
Thought it best to go before the bloody Spanish took over for Semana Santa.
(Only Joking, ok) ;)

Beautiful beach, not a single bar in sight, only a handful of big fat naked Germans in the distance on the nudi beach,
trying to stop the tide coming in. :rofl:
(Only joking),
and a couple of fishermen on the other side.

Otherwise endless miles of lovely unspoilt deserted beach all to ourselves, bordered behind us by a wonderful natural protected area.

Oh as you're all so interested, I do confess that we did take a couple of cans with us of and of course we took our empties home.

Apologies that I don't have time for more, but you're more than welcome to toon in here for my latest update, whenever that may be.;)

iano Apr 12th 2017 11:47 am

I see the shipping industry and the scientific community are just the latest areas to flag up real Brexit concerns. This 'government' will never be able to cope even remotely adequately fighting on so many fronts. Impossible.

Fail to plan and you plan to fail; Brexit is already turning into one almighty clusterf**k even before it's started.

Where's Cameron, I wish to rip his head orf ?

Bipat Apr 12th 2017 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12227548)
I see the shipping industry and the scientific community are just the latest areas to flag up real Brexit concerns. This 'government' will never be able to cope even remotely adequately fighting on so many fronts. Impossible.

Fail to plan and you plan to fail; Brexit is already turning into one almighty clusterf**k even before it's started.

Where's Cameron, I wish to rip his head orf ?

Is it not important, for all in the UK for Brexit to be successful?
The Remain voters complain of a 'project fear', however what is this constant negative, 'talking down' of Brexit, before even negotiations start?

(Anything positive posted on BE, has to be insulted or go on a separate thread!):lol:

Scamp Apr 12th 2017 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12227590)
(Anything positive posted on BE, has to be insulted or go on a separate thread!)

I've never heard such rubbish. You don't know what you're talking about.

;):lol:

iano Apr 12th 2017 12:54 pm

For goodness sake, bipat, it's important for the UK to be successful and thrive for the sake of future generations.

I have not seen or heard anything that remotely suggests Brexit is the right vehicle to achieve that aim, have you ?

Post-Brexit customs checks a 'catastrophe' for UK shipping

Red Eric Apr 12th 2017 1:07 pm

The Remain voters complain of a 'project fear', however what is this constant negative, 'talking down' of Brexit, before even negotiations start?

Actually, although you correctly say that scaremongering was very much a part of the leave campaign, it is far more often attributed to remain and you'll find it constantly crops up in the posts of the most vociferous Brexiters on this and related threads ;)

I'm surprised to see you've joined in with the use of that silly "talking down Brexit" nonsense though - as though exposing BE posters to alternatives to the isn't-it-all-going-swimmingly? narrative of the more wishful-thinking is actually going to further damage the UK's prospects now that it has voted to leave and May has decided "leave" means "jump off a cliff".

DaveLovesDee Apr 12th 2017 1:12 pm

Is it not important, for all in the UK for Brexit to be successful?

It is vitally important for Britain to be successful. But there's no evidence this is likely to happen within 5 years of Brexit.

We're leaving free trade deals with 50+ countries. How long is it going to take to make deals to replace those?

If 'talking down' actually achieved anything, the EU would be long-dead because of the negativity of the anti-EU brigade, and Man City (through their own fans negativity), and Chelsea and Man Utd (through the negativity of fans of other teams) would be playing in much lower leagues and be unsuccessful.

(Anything positive posted on BE, has to be insulted or go on a separate thread!):lol:
Take it up with a moderator.

Site rule 15. Moderator Actions
Discussions about moderator or administrator actions are welcome in email, or local private messages, but should not be discussed in public forums. This is out of respect for the members, moderators and policy involved.
They'll tell you why your posts were moved/

Bipat Apr 12th 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12227607)
For goodness sake, bipat, it's important for the UK to be successful and thrive for the sake of future generations.

I have not seen or heard anything that remotely suggests Brexit is the right vehicle to achieve that aim, have you ?

Post-Brexit customs checks a 'catastrophe' for UK shipping

Read the last two paragraphs of your link. It is a potential problem, but with headline "catastrophe for British shipping".

The future of the UK as seen by those who voted for Brexit has been discussed at length including on this Forum.

Bipat Apr 12th 2017 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12227612)
1)It is vitally important for Britain to be successful. But there's no evidence this is likely to happen within 5 years of Brexit.

2) We're leaving free trade deals with 50+ countries. How long is it going to take to make deals to replace those?

3)If 'talking down' actually achieved anything, the EU would be long-dead because of the negativity of the anti-EU brigade, and Man City (through their own fans negativity), and Chelsea and Man Utd (through the negativity of fans of other teams) would be playing in much lower leagues and be unsuccessful.

4)Take it up with a moderator.
They'll tell you why your posts were moved/

1) Five years is not a long time in the future of the UK.

2) see--the other threads

3)Hopefully you are correct.

4)I put a smilie. It was a joke!! You know that any mention of the country that will be an increasingly important future trading partner sends some posters into a frenzy, and was split into a separate Post Brexit thread.

There is also a separate thread for Positive Brexit News--Why?