British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Apr 10th 2017 10:48 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

You know, Dick, you might want to consider pulling back on the "imminent failure" rhetoric. It just ain't happnin', and hasn't been for a long time.

I mean, here's a year ago, prior to the referendum

Euro Zone Is Growing Faster Than the U.S. And Britain

Blowing past both the U.S. and British economies, the latter weighed down by uncertainty over possibly leaving the Europe Union, euro zone growth doubled from the previous quarter, beating even the most optimistic expectations on healthy household consumption and a rebound in investments.

And now:

Eurozone economy quietly outshines the US

The eurozone economy has now posted 14 consecutive quarters of growth, the unemployment rate has returned into single digits, and economic sentiment has reached its highest level in six years. The numbers contrast with common depictions of the eurozone economy as stagnant, sclerotic and perennially underperforming.

I know you find that all very disappointing, but really, perhaps you should consider retiring this decades-old "imminent failure" line for something more contemporary.

Perhaps you could start blaming the EU for "kicking Britain out"? It'll no doubt be a timely topic soon enough, and hey - here's some starters for you:

EU parliament leader: we want Britain out as soon as possible

A senior EU leader has confirmed the bloc wants Britain out as soon as possible

Britain could be kicked out of single market

Dick Dasterdly Apr 10th 2017 10:49 am

Brexit 'liberating if May seizes the chances in Asia', says Lord O'Neill

From a Remainer.

:thumbup:

Dick Dasterdly Apr 10th 2017 10:52 am

Small construction firms shake off Brexit concerns as confidence is sky-high with investments in the works | City A.M.

:thumbup:

EMR Apr 10th 2017 11:04 am

On BBC this morning there was a feature about the " super train " that us making its way back to China picking up European products.
One of those questioned was asked what the future was for UK trade after Brexit.
His reply, not his exact words was that UK business must get of its arse and start selling again..
Trade missions are just a start, PR and little more. It's the company export sales manager who does the real work .

EMR Apr 10th 2017 11:05 am

As usual Dick did not read beyond the headlines.

EMR Apr 10th 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12225634)

Yet again, just a headline from Dick with little substance.

morpeth Apr 10th 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225603)
Your lack of recent historical knowledge is astounding.
The US,UK intervention in Iraq sparked the Shia Sunni conflict with the US favouring the Sunni over the Shia.
The Shia then became the enemy.
The Afghanistan adventure created the Taliban who went from armed friend of the US to mortal enemy in a few years.
Nothing is as simplistic as you suggest.

Bipat was just pointing out the obvious historical fact of the divide between Sunnis and Shias dating back centuries, while you have a point in the particular case of Iraq recent in recent times the UK/US intervention did spark some of recent problems.

But I ask don't the people causing problems and terrorism have any responsibility ? And even if one wants to pin the blame always on the West, that doesn't change the need to deal with the problems of today.

The attacks on the Copts in Eygpt over the years surely even you cant find a way to blame that on the West.

Bipat Apr 10th 2017 11:17 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225623)
Wrong again, the Shia were opposed to and oppressed by Saddam.
They did not rule Iraq.
The Taliban were armed and financed by the US to fight the Russians .

Apologies stupid mistake reversed the words.

However the West did not create the Taliban as you said in your post.

Bipat Apr 10th 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225619)
If you mean I am prejudiced against the Express you are correct.
Predictions you mean like so called " project fear ".
Why are your predictions any better than anyone else's.

If you can bring yourself to read anything which includes the word 'India', I had put a link to the Telegraph report on the 'other' thread.
They are not MY predictions.

(Which UK newspapers are you willing to read and I will have a look for a different link?)

EMR Apr 10th 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12225665)
Apologies stupid mistake reversed the words.

However the West did not create the Taliban as you said in your post.

Tell me then how did a few disjointed groups of poorly armed resistance fighters develop into what we now call the Taliban if it was not for the millions of dollars in arms etc that they received from the US.Would they exist now or would the Russians have wiped them off the face of the planet.

EMR Apr 10th 2017 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12225671)
If you can bring yourself to read anything which includes the word 'India', I had put a link to the Telegraph report on the 'other' thread.
They are not MY predictions.

(Which UK newspapers are you willing to read and I will have a look for a different link?)

None which put up a misleading headline.
But one which said " It is possible that at some time in the future there may or may not be a trade deal that may or may not benefit the UK, provide UK jobs, remove tariffs on UK exports could happen "
Would not sell any newspapers.

morpeth Apr 10th 2017 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12225693)
Tell me then how did a few disjointed groups of poorly armed resistance fighters develop into what we now call the Taliban if it was not for the millions of dollars in arms etc that they received from the US.Would they exist now or would the Russians have wiped them off the face of the planet.

Perhaps Bipat could comment in more detail, but the Taliban emerged without US backing and the initial backing came from Pakistan, and the initial fighters largely from Saudi-financed madrassas in Pakistan. I am unsure where the idea of a "few disjointed groups" comes from- perhaps you are confusing the groups the US supported in the 1980's.

I would agree completely that the USA disengaging from Afghanistan in the 90's , and leaving weapons behind, did contribute the overall situation. But the very fanaticism and brutality of the Taliban led to their success more than arms.

It is a country of fanatics on all sides with violence part of everyday life. From brief experience in 1979 there I saw even 12 years olds running around with weapons, often home made copies, and more than willing to use in support of a respected warlord or tribal leader. The area near the Pakistan border in the north east had no effective government then ( or had for decades) nor does I think now.

And of course we allow Saudi financed Islamic schools in the West as well now. I guess some will find a way to blame that on the UK and USA as well.

EMR Apr 10th 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12225707)
Perhaps Bipat could comment in more detail, but the Taliban emerged without US backing and the initial backing came from Pakistan, and the initial fighters largely from Saudi-financed madrassas in Pakistan. I am unsure where the idea of a "few disjointed groups" comes from- perhaps you are confusing the groups the US supported in the 1980's.

I would agree completely that the USA disengaging from Afghanistan in the 90's , and leaving weapons behind, did contribute the overall situation. But the very fanaticism and brutality of the Taliban led to their success more than arms.

It is a country of fanatics on all sides with violence part of everyday life. From brief experience in 1979 there I saw even 12 years olds running around with weapons, often home made copies, and more than willing to use in support of a respected warlord or tribal leader. The area near the Pakistan border in the north east had no effective government then ( or had for decades) nor does I think now.

And of course we allow Saudi financed Islamic schools in the West as well now. I guess some will find a way to blame that on the UK and USA as well.

The US intervention dates from the time of the Russian invasion .
Did the Taliban exist then ?
The UK tried twice to invade Afghanistan and left with its tail between its legs.Regime change is nothing new .
Of course Saudi influence is a direct result of our alliance with and reliance on them.
Reliance on their oil and the untold billions they spend on arms..

la mancha Apr 10th 2017 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12225254)
Do we still care about Germany and France ? They are only foreigners, aren't they ? Absolutely nothing to do with ''the UK'' !!!!!! Or Brexit ....

My post was only to illustrate that industrial output rises and falls unexpectedly. I could have used Russia or Japan to show this but someone would have said, ‘WTF have they got to do with the EU?’ So I used Germany and France. Let’s face it, such is the derision on here for anything supporting the UK and Brexit that whatever examples I used someone would have had an objection.

EMR Apr 10th 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12225730)
My post was only to illustrate that industrial output rises and falls unexpectedly. I could have used Russia or Japan to show this but someone would have said, ‘WTF have they got to do with the EU?’ So I used Germany and France. Let’s face it, such is the derision on here for anything supporting the UK and Brexit that whatever examples I used someone would have had an objection.

When brexit happens feel free to post anything you like..