British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Apr 6th 2017 6:22 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12222586)
In your dreams sweetheart. ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/business...despite-brexit

London will remain Europe’s financial capital despite Brexit

:thumbup:

We'll see. But an awful lot of [dreamy-eyed] Brexit ambitions have had to be climbed down from already, and it hasn't even started yet.

Seven things that have happened in the seven days since the UK triggered Article 50
A week after Britain triggered Article 50, it has been forced to back down on almost all of its demands...

Honesty, I feel a bit sorry for Theresa May, it's a precarious tight rope full of huge risks in a chaotic, widely divided and disunified government and electorate.

The ‘Brexit betrayal’ poses a hazard for Theresa May

As Philip Hammond, the chancellor, has revealed, some of them actively do not want a Brexit deal. It is hard to pin down how many believe this, but it is probably enough to wipe out the government’s slender majority.

May’s echo that she prefers no deal to a bad one soothes the right of party. But does she believe it? For her, it may be a negotiating tactic — to show the EU that she is tougher than David Cameron, her predecessor. Those close to the prime minister mutter that she does not want Britain to crash out of the EU and realise that a no-deal outcome would be seen as a failure and could be disastrous for the country — as well as for her personal reputation and that of the Tory party.

Voters may still be angry as the Brexit betrayal grows. Instead of £350m for the NHS, they will watch money being sent to Brussels and the social care crisis deepen. Instead of ending free movement of people, it will continue indefinitely. Instead of taking back control, all they will see is compromise. This is the reality of converting populist soundbites into policy. This is the tightrope May has to walk; if she falls, there is nobody to catch her.

Bipat Apr 6th 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12222763)
We'll see. But an awful lot of [dreamy-eyed] Brexit ambitions have had to be climbed down from already, and it hasn't even started yet.

Seven things that have happened in the seven days since the UK triggered Article 50
A week after Britain triggered Article 50, it has been forced to back down on almost all of its demands...

Honesty, I feel a bit sorry for Theresa May, it's a precarious tight rope full of huge risks in a chaotic, widely divided and disunified government and electorate.

The ‘Brexit betrayal’ poses a hazard for Theresa May

As Philip Hammond, the chancellor, has revealed, some of them actively do not want a Brexit deal. It is hard to pin down how many believe this, but it is probably enough to wipe out the government’s slender majority.

May’s echo that she prefers no deal to a bad one soothes the right of party. But does she believe it? For her, it may be a negotiating tactic — to show the EU that she is tougher than David Cameron, her predecessor. Those close to the prime minister mutter that she does not want Britain to crash out of the EU and realise that a no-deal outcome would be seen as a failure and could be disastrous for the country — as well as for her personal reputation and that of the Tory party.

Voters may still be angry as the Brexit betrayal grows. Instead of £350m for the NHS, they will watch money being sent to Brussels and the social care crisis deepen. Instead of ending free movement of people, it will continue indefinitely. Instead of taking back control, all they will see is compromise. This is the reality of converting populist soundbites into policy. This is the tightrope May has to walk; if she falls, there is nobody to catch her.

Negotiations haven't started yet! It's not all going to be decided in 1 week!!
( Free movement will continue "indefinitely"??--'Possibly' during a 'possible' transition period.)
Government's slender majority??

EMR Apr 6th 2017 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12222778)
( Free movement will continue "indefinitely"??--'Possibly' during a 'possible' transition period.)

Have you not been listening to May for the last 8 months when asked about immigration etc.
No comments until formal negotiations, end of free movement etc.
All that has changed as from yesterday with the realisation that free movement will continue for some time.

amideislas Apr 6th 2017 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12222778)

Yes, that's what it said. I reckon you'll be amongst those angry voters come 2020.

But then again, I suspect everyone will likely be angry, no matter what happens. And hence my sympathies for Ms. May.

morpeth Apr 6th 2017 7:15 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12222292)
I understand that the UK collects taxes on the profits banks take on the services.

And apparently, the total exchanges are worth a trillion per day.

Anyway, this explains more:

Brexit risks taking multi-trillion euro trading from London

Still, no matter what happens, the clearinghouses can move to the continent without it being cost-prohibitive. Automakers don't have the same luxury.

The article shows that the EU cutting Britain out of derivative trading/some financial services described just isn't going to happen as the EU simply cant stop British banks and brokers from creating, entering into and servicing derivatives etc denominated in Euros. Interesting one of measures mentioned is EU making things more "complicated" for their own companies to do business with London.

amideislas Apr 6th 2017 7:25 am

OK, well, we'll see how it goes. But like I said previously, an awful lot of Brexit ambitions have had to be shelved already. And it hasn't even started yet.

But I think that's rather predictable when choosing a path with an unrealistic (or without any) understanding of where it leads.

Fredbargate Apr 6th 2017 8:18 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12222306)
It's EU environment standards that cause so mUch upset to UK coastal towns when the outfall of sewage fails to meet them.
I am sure many would love to drop that pesky blue flag.
UK drinking water stds are derived from those set by the EU.
Are you asking us to abandon them Fred ?

A regular event that usually only takes place at night when only the flames are visible

Fredbargate Apr 6th 2017 8:20 am

Also maybe a little off topice but take a look at the picture and read the article

Gibraltar yesterday saw the return of long queues and stringent document checks at the border. Early in the morning, afternoon and evening, there were queues of up to two hours delay reaching a peak at around 5pm for both pedestrians and cars

Border delays ahead of new Schengen measures – Gibraltar Chronicle

jimenato Apr 6th 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12222763)

Yes I do a bit and I'm also quite grateful to her for stepping and and trying to manage this shitfest which she didn't create.

If she had done what most people would have done - taken one look and ducked out - who might we have been left with? It doesn't bear thinking about.

She's on to a loser of course - anyone taking on the job would be. But given the possible courses that might have been taken following the vote and Cameron's resignation I'm glad it's her out of the possibles and not one of the others.

EMR Apr 6th 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12222827)
A regular event that usually only takes place at night when only the flames are visible

Reality Fred, Gibraltar is not the UK.
If the UK was a dog, Gib would be the flea clinging to the last hair on the dogs tail.

amideislas Apr 6th 2017 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12222832)
Yes I do a bit and I'm also quite grateful to her for stepping and and trying to manage this shitfest which she didn't create.

If she had done what most people would have done - taken one look and ducked out - who might we have been left with? It doesn't bear thinking about.

She's on to a loser of course - anyone taking on the job would be. But given the possible courses that might have been taken following the vote and Cameron's resignation I'm glad it's her out of the possibles and not one of the others.

+1

DaveLovesDee Apr 6th 2017 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12222830)
Gibraltar yesterday saw the return of long queues and stringent document checks at the border. Early in the morning, afternoon and evening, there were queues of up to two hours delay reaching a peak at around 5pm for both pedestrians and cars

Border delays ahead of new Schengen measures – Gibraltar Chronicle

From your link:

The delays are not unusual at this time of year and as the Easter break approaches but the delays have coincided with the Schengan Border Code which comes into effect tomorrow, April 7.
Not unusual.

iano Apr 6th 2017 8:46 am

Must be alone then in not 'feeling sorry' for Theresa May, who very cleverly kept her powder relatively dry during the referendum campaign. Why ? Because like most of us she anticipated a Remain victory, but is at heart a Eurosceptic, and considered even more so than her Oxford chums, Cameron, Johnson and Osborne.

Negating to include Gibraltar in the Article 50 terms letter is just the first of many cock ups to come, I fear. This ill thought out 'shitfest' will continue for a while, with Delusional Davis, Fox and BoJo increasingly floundering, the public increasingly restless, before reason (hopefully) will prevail and Article 50 revoked before too much damage is done.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6717291.html

amideislas Apr 6th 2017 9:00 am

Look, few of the current government leadership had nary a clue what Brexit really meant when they assumed power. They may have thought they did, but once they opened pandora's box, I think even the most dogmatic delusionals would have to do a double-take on what it revealed. And it seems some have.

I will be the last to stand up for the likes of Boris or any of the other [convenient] brexiteers who've only managed to make things far worse with their delusional dogmatism and resulting inflammatory narratives. It's been a bit like as if as the company board of directors publicly insults its largest customer with derogatory falsehoods, for questioning the wisdom of demanding the customer accept untenable terms. Customers tend to just give up on finding any common ground when confronted in that way. Yet the EU seems to have taken the high ground, and demonstrably remains calm, rational, confident, and open to common ground where it can be found, despite Britain's delusions (in business, that would be characterised as "professionalism"). But if it can't be found, then so be it, after all, it's Britain's game, not the EU's.

In the end, in such a divided government and electorate, nobody's going to be happy no matter what the result. May has inherited nothing less than a political paradox for her and her party. There is no upside here. The job turned out to be little else but damage control, and in pursuit of that, spinning it in a way that satisfies a broad spectrum of divergent, dogmatic, and even delusional views from every direction, and trying to keep her hand-picked cabinet of ideologues from doing even more damage.

I can't help but feel pity for her.

GeniB Apr 6th 2017 9:16 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12222791)
The article shows that the EU cutting Britain out of derivative trading/some financial services described just isn't going to happen as the EU simply cant stop British banks and brokers from creating, entering into and servicing derivatives etc denominated in Euros. Interesting one of measures mentioned is EU making things more "complicated" for their own companies to do business with London.

At the end of the day it will not be the politicians who deicide the success or failure of the Brexit negotiations. It will be those people who have been consistently sidelined and ignored. The business community.. You know..the ones who actually do the trading that makes the money for the country

If the owners/CEO's of those companies do not see any benefit in remiang in a country trading outside the EU.They will simply move. Simple as that .Some already have,some are making plans to .It has happened time and again over the ages. China was the last 'favourite'.
This bickering and mud slinging only makes the atmosphere for trade toxic. I bet there are several countries around the world rubbing their (metaphorical) hands in glee right now at the whole stupid thing