Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum

Post EU Referendum

Old Aug 17th 2016, 12:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Don't confuse Dick with facts!
Lloyds of Berlin?

Lloyds of Paris?
Old Aug 17th 2016, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Lloyds of Berlin?
2014 - Lloyds opens office in Frankfurt

Lloyds of Paris?
2012 - Lloyds opens office in Paris

Lloyds has a number of offices in European countries, though I'm unsure how the listing includes Israel (which has never been a European country.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 12:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

2014 - Lloyds opens office in Frankfurt

2012 - Lloyds opens office in Paris

Lloyds has a number of offices in European countries, though I'm unsure how the listing includes Israel (which has never been a European country.

Ah, well, that may be true - but that was before we got our sovereignty back...
Old Aug 17th 2016, 12:51 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore View Post
illegals and asylum seekers
How often is the asylum seeker legit? not often.... because if they was? they'll claim asylum in the first country they got to. (and the acceptance rate is high) and thats it... they are allowed to stay..... (while a british born citizen has to jump through hoops to get there loved ones/wife/husbands to stay and have income? (its in infuriating and insulting to the citizens)
Do you know how many asylum seekers apply for asylum in the UK? and how many are actually granted asylum in the UK? And how many of those live on benefits, or even apply for asylum for that reason?

I do know, but you might want to have a look before believing there's even a remote hint that asylum seekers provide any rational justification for the trauma of brexit, or that the small number of UK asylum applications and the fractional number that are actually accepted have anything to do with the EU whatsoever.

I can post the actual numbers and links to them from credible and official sources as a matter of public record, but I think you ought to find out for yourself. It's your argument after all.

Last edited by amideislas; Aug 17th 2016 at 12:56 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, well, that may be true - but that was before we got our sovereignty back...
They were moving out long before Brexit, as you say. I think the moves started in 2013.

Lloyds Bank to close 21 branches, cut 625 jobs and outsource roles to India | This is Money

We're 'cheap', (its a non- European country by the way---long, long way away over the seas!)
Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

... though I'm unsure how the listing includes Israel (which has never been a European country.
Perhaps UEFA and Eurovision are more defining than we thought
Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Perhaps UEFA and Eurovision are more defining than we thought
Cliff Richard for next EU President?
Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff Richard for next EU President?
Only because Terry Wogan's no longer available for the job
Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
They were moving out long before Brexit, as you say. I think the moves started in 2013.

Lloyds Bank to close 21 branches, cut 625 jobs and outsource roles to India | This is Money

We're 'cheap', (its a non- European country by the way---long, long way away over the seas!)
Indeed. The world is integrated, whether we like it or not.

We live, work, have families, run businesses, etc. in each other's countries. I happen to think that's a good thing, and I'm pretty sure it can't be undone.

Just back from almost three weeks in the UK, and thoroughly enjoyed the international aspects of the place.

I work for an international youth (mostly) charity and visited one of the UK centers while I was there. The plight of our low-income young, including young people living rough in the New Forest (where I saw) and presumably many other parts of the UK, could be addressed by our government any time it wanted to. But it doesn't care. We are sliding into the Victorian notion of the deserving and undeserving poor and essentially rounding people up for the work house or leaving them on the streets. A lot of these young people have seen all the tabloid headlines and rant on about immigrants (not that any of the ones I spoke to actually voted) - but the fact is that it is the British government that could and should be acting. It has damn all to do with the EU - or immigrants from anywhere - and that has been used as a smokescreen and as a tool to manipulate people for quite long enough.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 17th 2016 at 1:39 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Aug 17th 2016, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. The world is integrated, whether we like it or not.

We live, work, have families, run businesses, etc. in each other's countries. I happen to think that's a good thing, and I'm pretty sure it can't be undone.

Just back from almost three weeks in the UK, and thoroughly enjoyed the international aspects of the place.

I work for an international youth (mostly) charity and visited one of the UK centers while I was there. The plight of our low-income young, including young people living rough in the New Forest (where I saw) and presumably many other parts of the UK, could be addressed by our government any time it wanted to. But it doesn't care. We are sliding into the Victorian notion of the deserving and undeserving poor and essentially rounding people up for the work house or leaving them on the streets. A lot of these young people have seen all the tabloid headlines and rant on about immigrants (not that any of the ones I spoke to actually voted) - but the fact is that it is the British government that could and should be acting. It has damn all to do with the EU - or immigrants from anywhere - and that has been used as a smokescreen and as a tool to manipulate people for quite long enough.
I agree with you, but this has always been the case (and I suspect I am a lot older than you), but the division between haves and have-not is getting wider.

However in the UK it is also an education problem, so many leaving school without the ability to even fill in an application form. (My son used to work for a career advisory service, he used to do the forms in pencil for the young person to 'ink over'. Of course he was made redundant, no chance yet of another job, in his 40s, history graduate, works in citizens advice voluntary.(Fortunately wife still has a part-time job and there is us to help), that is the way all over and if you are educated employment office will not allocate menial jobs!
Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to enjoy this.......

We haven't 'fully left' yet but we're on our way to that path.
Bullshit! We haven't even started to leave yet, nor have we decided when we're actually going to start the process.

Any illegals living in uk that 'claim asylum' is 90% BS reasons to make the actual claim....
An asylum claim can only be made on entry to the UK through legal channels. An illegal migrant is unlikely to be able to legally claim asylum.

why cant they do it in France then?
They would have had to have entered France legally to do so.

Anyway they do get benefits regardless of the situation or what the media says, it's a fact....
So you'll believe the media when it confirms your biases, but not when it doesn't.

Illegal migrants CANNOT claim any kind of benefit in the UK because they are not here legally. In fact, they will do their best to avoid any contact with official and quasi-official agencies as this will be the quickest way to come to the attention of immigration, and to be deported.

Refugees and asylum seekers do get a small allowance while their claims are being processed, and should the claim be denied they are deported. The differences are that asylum seekers are processed on entry to the UK, while refugees are usually processed in the country they enter the UK from.

and i am sick to death of seeing them claiming asylum telling lies through the claim itself and in the end our gullible government that is known as 'Soft Touch Britain' they get them in a house money coming in, and live a life... till in the end they get a British passport? (if that is the case..) (and if a application is rejected? they'll just apply again or call the racist card.
Stop reading Britain First crap and try actually reading the housing regulations and Department for Work and Pensions regulations on what asylum seekers can actually get. Or try the Citizens Advice website for a simpler version.

But OUR VERY OWN BRITISH BORN CITIZENS have to jump through many hoops to get there none eu/wife into the country ?
This is the one part of your post that is factually correct. I worked 2 jobs and was still £3000 a year short of meeting the income requirement.

So we moved to another EU country (Malta) to live together and work under EU law, as my Canadian wife has exactly the same rights of residence and to work as I do. In any EU country.

The same as any EU national has when coming to live and work in the UK.

i just don't get why is it VERY DIFFICULT for our GOV to deport the scum? get them back on a boat get them the hell out boat plane even the train to France.... how hard can it be? if they don't comply? i'll use force
(gotta send a message somehow)
I presume you're referring to illegal migrants. When they're found, they are deported. Maybe you should watch the TV show Border Force. And how will YOU use force?

- Enough is enough and we can't be 'soft anymore'
Soft? You really need to try checking the facts instead of believing everything you read in the newspapers.

Migrants (both legal and otherwise) tend to move to the UK to work.

LEAVING THE EU, is one factor to control the EU nationals in the future.
Since most of the rest of the post seems to be about illegal migrants and asylum seekers, I'm not sure how controlling EU nationals by leaving the EU is relevant. Unless you're trying to make different points in the same paragraph.

But leaving the EU will do nothing to change the numbers of illegal migrants, asylum seekers and refugees.

Makes my blood boil.
Interesting! Has this been reproduced in a controlled setting?

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Aug 17th 2016 at 2:08 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:08 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Some have argued that Brexit is a cultural, rather than political revolution.

I'd argue it's not a revolution at all, but simply a return to the perceptibly safe world of isolationist yesteryear, brought on by the fear of globalisation. Not unlike the debate in the US at the moment. That's probably why the leave campaign and the Trump campaign are so oft compared. The goals are eerily similar, and similarly naive.

And you're right, globalisation isn't reversible.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
I agree with you, but this has always been the case (and I suspect I am a lot older than you), but the division between haves and have-not is getting wider.

However in the UK it is also an education problem, so many leaving school without the ability to even fill in an application form. (My son used to work for a career advisory service, he used to do the forms in pencil for the young person to 'ink over'. Of course he was made redundant, no chance yet of another job, in his 40s, history graduate, works in citizens advice voluntary.(Fortunately wife still has a part-time job and there is us to help), that is the way all over and if you are educated employment office will not allocate menial jobs!
No, we are not preparing people equally or even properly in our schools, but that is not the problem of the schools alone. Entrenched poverty carries with it a very large set of very difficult problems, one of which is failure in schools. We can sit and blame individuals, or we can decide what sort of society we want to live in and take collective and institutional and governmental action to make it so. It is an embarrassment that in one of the overall richest and most developed and (usually) enlightened countries on earth we have quantities of semi-illiterate teenagers living rough in the woods and streets with no hope of ever doing anything else.

Overall unemployment is quite low in the UK, but some are permanently marginalized. I understand your son's situation and it's very unfortunate but I'm not sure that it's the same thing.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, we are not preparing people equally or even properly in our schools, but that is not the problem of the schools alone. Entrenched poverty carries with it a very large set of very difficult problems, one of which is failure in schools. We can sit and blame individuals, or we can decide what sort of society we want to live in and take collective and institutional and governmental action to make it so. It is an embarrassment that in one of the overall richest and most developed and (usually) enlightened countries on earth we have quantities of semi-illiterate teenagers living rough in the woods and streets with no hope of ever doing anything else.

Overall unemployment is quite low in the UK, but some are permanently marginalized. I understand your son's situation and it's very unfortunate but I'm not sure that it's the same thing.
Yes I agree with you. I mentioned my son because the Careers Advisory Centres gave invaluable help to youngsters mostly at the lower end of educational achievement. The Council funding ended, then they became privately run--not sure of the arrangement. Then many closed down completely. Many of the young were so grateful for help, often bringing gifts --enormous chocolate bars --stolen from the next door Woolworths. (Also gone now).

Which is the other point, many turn to petty crime and downward spiral from there.

Son can look after himself and family, has never asked for help, it has to be forced on them.
But many educated young do also have problems and more Indian origin young are returning to India where the opportunities are increasing--I have read that this is happening for USA immigrant origin young also.

So that may please the anti-immigrant brigade.

Theresa May has said that she will concentrate on those with low income, at least that is a better than Cameron's "We are all in it together".
Old Aug 17th 2016, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Any illegals living in uk that 'claim asylum' is 90% BS reasons to make the actual claim.... why cant they do it in France then?

LEAVING THE EU, is one factor to control the EU nationals in the future.

Makes my blood boil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.