British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Apr 5th 2017 3:14 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12222260)
I did. Trump's bitch trying to jettison those pesky liberals, without whom The Donald would have won the popular vote !

Well, he does have the impressive "successfully sent a country with a $2T economy into political and economic chaos" on his CV. Although I believe California may be slightly larger. I suppose getting any job after that is a "promotion" for him.

But I am curious what offshore bank all those roubles are being collected in.

amideislas Apr 5th 2017 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12222272)
From your link,

:huh:

Did you understand what the article actually said?

It's because the UK and other countries have been allowed to agree to defer payments to the EU. Our deferred payments are included in the 60 million that we need to pay the EU as recently discussed.

I'm glad somebody looked. I was afraid to open it for fear my smartPhone or computer might get a nasty virus or Trojan horse thing. It is the Daily Express after all.

I assumed it was something not exactly what the headline read (as usual), but I speculated maybe it really meant that the EU has a few hundred billion surplus (which would be a typical spin for the Express).

Fredbargate Apr 5th 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12221697)
Evening, Fred.

That's the average volume of daily business. It's a very lucrative business managing credit risk (clearing), and London has to date cornered around 70% of the Euro derivative swaps market.

Currently sensitive pre-Brexit talks, but rest assured moves are afoot...

All euro business should be moved from London after Brexit - top lawmaker | Reuters

My question was to who was that business worth $50 billion not what the amount of business done.
I have done many large deals but the worth to me was only a vey small percentage whereas you have implied the someone makes $50 billion a day

Bipat Apr 5th 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12222266)
Read the post again to, " it's the size of the electoral register that counts ".
While you will be happy with the change in attitude by May etc towards immigration .EU and Non EU along with I believe the vast majority of Remainers many of those who voted leave will now be asking why they are being ignored.
Is it questioning their intelligence to suggest that " we told you so ".

Maybe I am having a bad day, but I cannot see the words "it's the size of the electoral register that counts".
I understand the percentage vote numbers, but that was for 'both sides'. Those that wanted to remain had equal chance to vote.

Nobody is being ignored negotiations have not even started, final decisions are a long way off, there will be many changes of view along the way.

amideislas Apr 5th 2017 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12222286)
My question was to who was that business worth $50 billion not what the amount of business done.
I have done many large deals but the worth to me was only a vey small percentage whereas you have implied the someone makes $50 billion a day

I understand that the UK collects taxes on the profits banks take on the services.

And apparently, the total exchanges are worth a trillion per day.

Anyway, this explains more:

Brexit risks taking multi-trillion euro trading from London

Still, no matter what happens, the clearinghouses can move to the continent without it being cost-prohibitive. Automakers don't have the same luxury.

Lion in Winter Apr 5th 2017 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12222255)
(Not too sure about your maths.)
However you could also argue that a small percentage of the population voted to remain.
So the 'general climate of the country' is mixed and our majority Remainer fans on this Forum needn't be so dismissive of our Brexiter intelligence etc.

(Many of the 'actual population' are too young to pronounce the word Brexit, and could only colour in a voting form).

It isn't my maths. It's just maths.

As to the age question, that is why I supplied the size of the electorate - presumably the babies are not registered to vote...

And my overall point was in reply to the post I responded to - that the general atmosphere in the UK is not that of Little Englanders walling themselves up on a tiny island, that voices and views are many and the general atmosphere is largely open and tolerant. I'm guessing you don't disagree with that.

Red Eric Apr 5th 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12222222)
This information comes from the European Trade Union Institute. If you have any problem with this, email and tell them. However, I think they know more about this issue than you will ever do. The European Trade Union Institute? Hardly far right, is it?

:confused: In what way does that negate what I said? I very much doubt that's where you came across it ;)

Fredbargate Apr 5th 2017 4:01 pm

I really like this from our friends in Europe:-
the UK should adhere to EU environmental and anti-tax evasion standards to get close trade ties

So they are asking us to lower our standards to fall in line with them.:rofl:

EMR Apr 5th 2017 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12222304)
the UK should adhere to EU environmental and anti-tax evasion standards to get close trade ties

It's EU environment standards that cause so mUch upset to UK coastal towns when the outfall of sewage fails to meet them.
I am sure many would love to drop that pesky blue flag.
UK drinking water stds are derived from those set by the EU.
Are you asking us to abandon them Fred ?

amideislas Apr 5th 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12222296)
:confused: In what way does that negate what I said? I very much doubt that's where you came across it ;)

I got a chuckle out of the last line, though.

The European Trade Union Institute? Hardly far right, is it?

...as if not being a "far right" political entity would be a reason to discredit it.

la mancha Apr 5th 2017 5:03 pm

Do I really have to waste time spelling it out to you? EMR implied that the EU is not a country and therefore does not export. I showed him and you others that the EU does export to the Saudis. The point is trade, not what trade.

Do you know what’s going on, any of you?

la mancha Apr 5th 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12222296)

I wasn’t going to bother with this anymore but I see you still doubt my word.

A researcher at the European Trade Union Institute in Brussels wrote that two major EU integration projects have provided market actors with new incentives and opportunities to contest or circumnavigate transnational and national social regulations. In other words, the EU is instrumental in social dumping in the member states.

Sorry to disappoint you but that is where I found it.

If you have a problem with that then email them and tell them so because they said it.

The European Trade Union Institute, as you know, is financially supported by the European Union.

And Ami, this is the grown-ups talking now.

amideislas Apr 5th 2017 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12222348)
aid it.

The European Trade Union Institute, as you know, is financially supported by the European Union.

And Ami, this is the grown-ups talking now.

You're funny. You sound a bit like Dick, but apparently a bit better educated.

OK, new rule: if it's from the EU, or *NOT* any far-right source, manch will presume it "discredible". So don't bother using either of those sources should you counter any of manch's arguments, as the response will be predictable.

Red Eric Apr 5th 2017 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12222348)
I wasn’t going to bother with this anymore but I see you still doubt my word.

A researcher at the European Trade Union Institute in Brussels wrote that two major EU integration projects have provided market actors with new incentives and opportunities to contest or circumnavigate transnational and national social regulations. In other words, the EU is instrumental in social dumping in the member states.

Sorry to disappoint you but that is where I found it.

If you have a problem with that then email them and tell them so because they said it.

I'm not doubting it's on their website. I'd be very surprised if you found your way there to it all of your own accord, though, given our previous exchanges regarding trades unions.

The fact that you used a term I haven't heard before (or seen you use before, come to that) in relation to freedom of movement and that very same phrase cropped up less than a week later in Marine le Pen's speech indicates to me that it may well be floating around as a current thing in very right circles. You're highly organised in the propaganda department, after all and repetitious use of dubious phrases is all part of it ;)

Dick Dasterdly Apr 5th 2017 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12222304)

Having chosen old Junkie as top dog in Brussels, the same guy who helped organise the biggest tax evasion scams in European history for best part of twenty years, I'm sure they're the perfect example for us all to follow.

Set a thief to catch a thief, eh.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: