British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Dick Dasterdly Apr 5th 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
UK-US trade deal would send prices TUMBLING for consumers - Your Brexit


:thumbup:

amideislas Apr 5th 2017 1:09 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Good morning, Dick.

Red Eric Apr 5th 2017 1:18 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12219106)
Every week, it's a different obsession with manch (and suspiciously convenient, depending on the debate). One week, the UK is poor because of the EU, next week, it's booming (because it's better than the EU)... In any case; EU bad, UK good. But he "never said that" when called out.

Just last week it was yet another new [rather questionable] obsession (I don't remember, and can't be bothered to look .. anyone remember what that one was about?).

I was reminded of it just last night, when Marine le Pen was shown on the main evening news in a clip in which she referred to "social dumping".

I expect the term's all over the far right websites, with their ultra-high quality journalism and altruistic readership all loyally handing over their subscription fees to access it ;)

Dick Dasterdly Apr 5th 2017 1:18 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Guten Morgen Ami. ;)


EU in budget CRISIS as Juncker faces cliff edge over £200BN deficit | World | News | Express.co.uk




:cool:

amideislas Apr 5th 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12222191)
Good point.

The Eu is clearly stilll living in the last century with its costly,on going, Dictatorial, ill fated Empire building project which clearly members states do not wish to have imposed upon them.

The sooner the Eu with its long outdated visions, gets back to reality and concentrates instead on a free and Democratic future and accepts that rule by threats and fearmongering simply don't work, the better for all concerned.

:cool:

This ring a bell, Dick?

"We don't want to fight, but by jingo if we do,
We've got the ships, we've got the men, and we've got the money, too!"


The story behind it might bemuse you:

Great Britain was never truly post-colonial
In the late 19th century, old Blighty had a pretty clear sense of its place in the world. We were rulers of the waves, the cradle of the industrial revolution, and on our way to creating the largest empire in history...


Read more

SultanOfSwing Apr 5th 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12222114)
Not to mention...


"So there we have it. A Tory Brexit is not “taking back control”, it is surrendering it to the Donald Trumps, the Saudi dictators, the Turkish autocrats, the Israeli hardliners. Meanwhile, the rest of the world mocks us as we debate the colour of our passports and talk about war with Spain. Yes, for too long British foreign policy has been subordinate to the United States, guilty of involvement in disastrous wars, and loyally supportive of murderous foreign governments. May’s Brexit strategy could make all of these things so much worse. Just look at our prime minister, genuflecting to tyrants who believe in chopping off people’s heads. Taking back control indeed."

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-arabia-terror

We're not really distinguishing ourselves, are we.

Savage :D

EMR Apr 5th 2017 1:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12222195)

Proof again Dick that you have no understanding of how the world works and how little you care for the UK.
A Trump deal would be one sided in his favour with the US dumping it's products including those foodstuffs banned in the EU on the UK.
So much for your patriotism it's been a sham all along.

Lion in Winter Apr 5th 2017 1:43 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12222175)
They may live their conflicted lifes on their little, stagnated island as they wish. .

The thing is, it's not really like that in the UK. Some people on this thread create a false impression of the lives, thoughts and beliefs of the majority of the country. It's worth remembering that those who voted for Brexit make up only a small percentage of the actual population.

Remain
Vote share
48.1%
VOTES16,141,241


Leave
Vote share
51.9%
VOTES17,410,742



Out of a population of 60 million-ish, that isn't very many.

The electorate is about 46.5 million, and about 72% of them voted. Which means that about 35% of the electorate voted for Brexit.

Before anyone freaks out, no, I'm not suggesting overturning or "ignoring" the vote. But I am saying that the general climate in the country is not accurately represented by some of our angrier Brexit fans here.

la mancha Apr 5th 2017 1:51 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12222114)
Not to mention...


"So there we have it. A Tory Brexit is not “taking back control”, it is surrendering it to the Donald Trumps, the Saudi dictators, the Turkish autocrats, the Israeli hardliners. Meanwhile, the rest of the world mocks us as we debate the colour of our passports and talk about war with Spain. Yes, for too long British foreign policy has been subordinate to the United States, guilty of involvement in disastrous wars, and loyally supportive of murderous foreign governments. May’s Brexit strategy could make all of these things so much worse. Just look at our prime minister, genuflecting to tyrants who believe in chopping off people’s heads. Taking back control indeed."

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-arabia-terror

We're not really distinguishing ourselves, are we.

Since when did the UK stop cosying up to the Saudis? To blame Brexit, and for you to post this rubbish just goes to show how much your argument has degenerated.

And I wondered how long it would be before some asshole brought Israel into Brexit.

Let me get this right: we trade with the US and the Saudis and Turkey and Israel and it is surrendering to dictators, aurocrats and hardliners, but when the EU does the same it is called trade.

Lion in Winter Apr 5th 2017 1:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12222218)
Since when did the UK stop cosying up to the Saudis? To blame Brexit, and for you to post this rubbish just goes to show how much your argument has degenerated.

And I wondered how long it would be before some asshole brought Israel into Brexit.

Let me get this right: we trade with the US and the Saudis and Turkey and Israel and it is surrendering to dictators, aurocrats and hardliners, but when the EU does the same it is called trade.

What "argument" has degenerated exactly? From what to what?

I would condemn such behaviour equally, wherever it is found. But I do care more when it is my country doing it, and doing more of it, because, well, it's my country and I feel that things are happening in my name. It isn't a direct result of Brexit, it's a result of a PM who needs to show that trade is not suffering and that the money is still coming into the UK - so she cultivates our best customers, irrespective of their behaviour. The hypocrisy is also delightful.

Not sure what the whole "asshole" motif here is about. Are you referring to me or to the writer of that piece?

la mancha Apr 5th 2017 1:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12222199)
I was reminded of it just last night, when Marine le Pen was shown on the main evening news in a clip in which she referred to "social dumping".

I expect the term's all over the far right websites, with their ultra-high quality journalism and altruistic readership all loyally handing over their subscription fees to access it ;)

I was going to give this topic a rest but I see you cannot.

Re social dumping, the European Union’s two major projects – the creation of the Internal Market, and EU enlargement to the east and to the south – have provided the incentive and the opportunity to contest or circumnavigate transitional and national social regulations.

This information comes from the European Trade Union Institute. If you have any problem with this, email and tell them. However, I think they know more about this issue than you will ever do. The European Trade Union Institute? Hardly far right, is it?

EMR Apr 5th 2017 1:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12222218)
Since when did the UK stop cosying up to the Saudis? To blame Brexit, and for you to post this rubbish just goes to show how much your argument has degenerated.

And I wondered how long it would be before some asshole brought Israel into Brexit.

Let me get this right: we trade with the US and the Saudis and Turkey and Israel and it is surrendering to dictators, aurocrats and hardliners, but when the EU does the same it is called trade.

The EU is not a country , nor an arms manufacturer with a long history of putting profit before the people it's arms kill.
You really do need to try harder.

la mancha Apr 5th 2017 1:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12222221)
What "argument" has degenerated exactly? From what to what?

I would condemn such behaviour equally, wherever it is found. But I do care more when it is my country doing it, and doing more of it, because, well, it's my country and I feel that things are happening in my name. It isn't a direct result of Brexit, it's a result of a PM who needs to show that trade is not suffering and that the money is still coming into the UK - so she cultivates our best customers, irrespective of their behaviour. The hypocrisy is also delightful.

Not sure what the whole "asshole" motif here is about. Are you referring to me or to the writer of that piece?

The writer of the piece.

iano Apr 5th 2017 1:58 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Hope you've paying attention to your web site and sharpening your pitchfork, Dick !

Spanish WARSHIP illegally enters UK waters off Gibraltar - Your Brexit


Downing Street said it would not be sending a task force to Gibraltar but did not condemn Lord Howard’s comments.
Task force ??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

la mancha Apr 5th 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12222223)
The EU is not a country , nor an arms manufacturer with a long history of putting profit before the people it's arms kill.
You really do need to try harder.

From the European Commission's own website.

'European Union, Trade in goods with Saudi Arabia'

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/doc...doc_113442.pdf


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.