British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Apr 5th 2017 11:45 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12222138)
The really sad part of the whole Brexit thing is that we are debating topics of the last century instead of focusing on digitalisation or the refugee crisis. I hope the EU will be able to leave the Brexit discussion behind soon and focus on the future - really we need to get rid of the influence of the UK on all levels fast. It is bad.

Or climate change. We will be fighting over access to food and water next, not just petroleum. If people think there's a migrant crisis now, just wait a few more years...

iano Apr 5th 2017 11:49 am

As expected Strasbourg has just rejected British proposals for an amendment to Tusk's guidelines re not including Gibraltar in any deal. The EU Council, and now Parliament, have aligned four square with Spain on this one.

Big test of 'sovereignty' for Hard Brexit Britain. Over to you Mrs May.

EMR Apr 5th 2017 11:55 am

The really sad part of the whole Brexit thing is that we are debating topics of the last century instead of focusing on digitalisation or the refugee crisis. I hope the EU will be able to leave the Brexit discussion behind soon and focus on the future - really we need to get rid of the influence of the UK on all levels fast. It is bad.

You have to wonder what the UK reaction would be if there was a massive refugee exodus from the Yemen caused by the actions of our friend, and customer Saudi.?

Lion in Winter Apr 5th 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12222151)
As expected Strasbourg has just rejected British proposals for an amendment to Tusk's guidelines re not including Gibraltar in any deal. The EU Council, and now Parliament, have aligned four square with Spain on this one.

Big test of 'sovereignty' for Hard Brexit Britain. Over to you Mrs May.

Stand by for spluttering about "the EU holding Gibraltarians hostage". Because none of this could have been foreseen of course.....

Thanks again, Cameron et al.

Red Eric Apr 5th 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12222090)
If an existing derivative involved a long duration, I understand the data can be moved as you say-but if the EU wanted to unravel existing derivatives and credit swaps denominated in Euros, it would be a nightmare. Anyway it wont happen, the danger is too big.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: ........ohhh! Sorry morpeth :o Don't mean to laugh but I don't suppose you saw the irony of that last bit, did you?

Red Eric Apr 5th 2017 12:03 pm

Good piece from George Monbiot in The Graun here about "freedom" ;)

Here's a small sample :

The European council has told the UK government that if it wants to trade with the EU on favourable terms after Brexit, companies here cannot cut their costs by dumping them on the rest of society.

This drives the leading Brexiters berserk. As a result of the pollution paradox (the dirtiest corporations have to spend the most money on politics, so the political system comes to be owned by them), politicians like Boris Johnson and Michael Gove have an incentive to champion the freedom of irresponsible companies. But it also puts them in a bind. Their primary argument for deregulation is that it makes businesses more competitive. If it means those businesses can’t trade with the EU, the case falls apart.
And the rest : https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-trump-freedom

amideislas Apr 5th 2017 12:13 pm

Well, as much as Britain is consumed with Brexit, for the EU, it only consumes a fraction of its bandwidth. And all the EU-27 ducks seem well prepared and united in getting Britain's exit done & dusted.

The EU will continue to sort its own problems, but it'll be Britain that consumes the bulk of its own resources for the foreseeable future, for lack of unity and clarity in its own future. But that's what Britain voted for, so nobody should be surprised.

morpeth Apr 5th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12222160)
:rofl::rofl::rofl: ........ohhh! Sorry morpeth :o Don't mean to laugh but I don't suppose you saw the irony of that last bit, did you?

quite agree

iano Apr 5th 2017 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12222156)
Stand by for spluttering about "the EU holding Gibraltarians hostage". Because none of this could have been foreseen of course.....

Thanks again, Cameron et al.

Strasbourg Parliament resolution has also decreed that Mrs May's 'implementation' (transitional) period should last no longer than 3 years.

5 years before we #takebackcontrol, bring it on !

Assanah Apr 5th 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12222146)
Or climate change. We will be fighting over access to food and water next, not just petroleum. If people think there's a migrant crisis now, just wait a few more years...

So true!

Assanah Apr 5th 2017 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12222165)
Well, as much as Britain is consumed with Brexit, for the EU, it only consumes a fraction of its bandwidth. And all the EU-27 ducks seem well prepared and united in getting Britain's exit done & dusted.

The EU will continue to sort its own problems, but it'll be Britain that consumes the bulk of its own resources for the foreseeable future, for lack of unity and clarity in its own future. But that's what Britain voted for, so nobody should be surprised.

I agree. However, I am not concerned with the UK anymore . They may live their conflicted lifes on their little, stagnated island as they wish. But I do think that it takes way too much resources from the EU as well. I hope this will end soon.

iano Apr 5th 2017 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12222161)
Good piece from George Monbiot in The Graun here about "freedom" ;)

From the Comments:

Some of us always knew that Brexit and Trump, two cheeks of the same populist arse, are a con perpetrated by the rich elite on the gullible poor under the guise of an anti-establishment movement. People were hoodwinked by emotional rhetoric, who had seen in Brexit a movement for undefined positive change.
So, so true.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 5th 2017 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12221675)
Unfortunately Dick very few understand those words.

Indeed,
Further evidence of that this morning in the Eu Parliament.

EMR Apr 5th 2017 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12222184)
Indeed,
Further evidence of that this morning in the Eu Parliament.

Do you mean putting the interests of 27 nations above that of a small island a few miles off the coast of France.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 5th 2017 12:59 pm

Good point.

The Eu is clearly stilll living in the last century with its costly,on going, Dictatorial, ill fated Empire building project which clearly members states do not wish to have imposed upon them.

The sooner the Eu with its long outdated visions, gets back to reality and concentrates instead on a free and Democratic future and accepts that rule by threats and fearmongering simply don't work, the better for all concerned.

:cool: