British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Apr 4th 2017 7:17 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12220920)
This has been discussed so many times!--Free Trade agreements without EU restrictions.

The £1 billion deals made during Mrs May's first trip to a non-EU country, the major trade commission active at the moment, none of these deals can be signed until Post Brexit.

AS non EU trade has increased , why all this fuss about trade deals then and claims that we cannot trade ?

Bipat Apr 4th 2017 7:21 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12220919)
Good job nobody's "sensationally" referring to Empirical "colonial rule" anymore, because well, it has nothing to do with Brexit. Oh, wait...

Amid Brexit, British citizens are suddenly gripped by nostalgia

It’s all pretty trivial, but this festival of remembrance offers a glimpse into the deeper motivations behind Brexit. The foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, chose Article 50 day to laud Britain’s chance to “search for new trading opportunities as this country was able to do for hundreds of years.”

On the face of it, the statement is absurd: Nothing in any European Union treaty ever prevented British businesses from searching for business around the world, and indeed German companies have been particularly successful at doing so for the past couple of decades.

But it’s the “as this country was able to do for hundreds of years” clause that matters: the idea that we need to get back to we were before the war, modernity, the Internet or whatever you personally believe destroyed Britain’s status and made it less important than it used to be.

...that image of Britain as the buccaneering trading nation that bravely forged its way into Hong Kong’s harbor and Sydney’s bay — is actually based on ignorance. In fact, the British trading success of the 19th century were really imperial successes. They could not have happened without military intervention and colonial rule, neither of which is in the cards now.


Read more

Nicely written piece by a Polish journalist. Light hearted.
Your previous post stated---
British 'amnesia' about the past, now 'nostalgia'--Which is it?

Bipat Apr 4th 2017 7:22 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12220932)
AS non EU trade has increased , why all this fuss about trade deals then and claims that we cannot trade ?

EMR you never read posts. The deals cannot be signed until Post Brexit.

EMR Apr 4th 2017 7:23 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12220934)
Nicely written piece by a Polish journalist. Light hearted.
Your previous post stated---
British 'amnesia' about the past, now 'nostalgia'--Which is it?

Amnesia for the reality, nostalgia for that portrayed on those old British movies when the lower classes knew their place and a black face was rarely seen.

EMR Apr 4th 2017 7:24 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12220935)
EMR you never read posts. The deals cannot be signed until Post Brexit.

You did not reply, why do we need trade deals when we already trade ?

Assanah Apr 4th 2017 7:24 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12220920)
This has been discussed so many times!--Free Trade agreements without EU restrictions.

The £1 billion deals made during Mrs May's first trip to a non-EU country, the major trade commission active at the moment, none of these deals can be signed until Post Brexit.

Ok so for 1 billion pounds you through 250 billion pounds worth of trade away. Ahhh...right....:confused::confused:

Maybe just wait till the EU sorts out things with India which will happen eventually. The EU has already signed free trade agreements with 30 something Commonwealth countries. Maybe the UK is taking advantage of these agreements at the moment and has increased trade? Just like Germany has been doing.

Assanah Apr 4th 2017 7:26 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12220932)
AS non EU trade has increased , why all this fuss about trade deals then and claims that we cannot trade ?

Yes, difficult to understand.

Red Eric Apr 4th 2017 7:26 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12220932)
AS non EU trade has increased , why all this fuss about trade deals then and claims that we cannot trade ?

You don't understand. It's not because the UK is a member of the EU that this trade has increased, it's despite. And it's increased more lately, which obviously means that it's because of Brexit. Countries want to trade more with the UK because it's voted out, so it's better already. They know they're going to get British goods, not EU goods. It's like a sale, where you queue up for days beforehand. If you don't get there early, you don't get the bargains.

EMR Apr 4th 2017 7:30 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12220942)
You don't understand. It's not because the UK is a member of the EU that this trade has increased, it's despite. And it's increased more lately, which obviously means that it's because of Brexit. Countries want to trade more with the UK because it's voted out, so it's better already. They know they're going to get British goods, not EU goods. It's like a sale, where you queue up for days beforehand. If you don't get there early, you don't get the bargains.

What British goods, they want to trade because they want to sell us their goods more than than they want to buy ours.
If they needed our goods they have always been available.

Bipat Apr 4th 2017 7:31 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12220938)
Ok so for 1 billion pounds you through 250 billion pounds worth of trade away. Ahhh...right....:confused::confused:

Don't be ridiculous! It was one visit, in one week last November.
I was using it as an example that these deals or those to come, cannot be signed until Post Brexit.

Also UK is not going to stop trading with the EU countries Post Brexit.

Bipat Apr 4th 2017 7:34 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12220941)
Yes, difficult to understand.

It was EMR that had difficulty in reading, he was answering my post indicating deals with non-EU countries that cannot be signed until Post Brexit.
How is that difficult to understand?

Red Eric Apr 4th 2017 7:35 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12220946)
What British goods, they want to trade because they want to sell us their goods more than than they want to buy ours.
If they needed our goods they have always been available.

Yes but they have a lingering odour of bureaucracy, which Brexit will eradicate completely.

Bipat Apr 4th 2017 7:39 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12220938)
Ok so for 1 billion pounds you through 250 billion pounds worth of trade away. Ahhh...right....:confused::confused:

Maybe just wait till the EU sorts out things with India which will happen eventually. The EU has already signed free trade agreements with 30 something Commonwealth countries. Maybe the UK is taking advantage of these agreements at the moment and has increased trade? Just like Germany has been doing.

After nine years of trying? I posted earlier about the largest ever delegation from the EU to India, trying to resurrect the talks. What happened--they went home.

EMR Apr 4th 2017 7:40 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12220952)
It was EMR that had difficulty in reading, he was answering my post indicating deals with non-EU countries that cannot be signed until Post Brexit.
How is that difficult to understand?

No difficulty in understanding your posts just your view of reality, what happens now and will in the future.

Bipat Apr 4th 2017 7:42 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12220936)
Amnesia for the reality, nostalgia for that portrayed on those old British movies when the lower classes knew their place and a black face was rarely seen.

I thought/was told by other posters, that those who voted to leave were never accused of such sentiments?


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:35 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.