British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Apr 1st 2017 8:58 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218754)
I have had a PM fron Dick, he has taken to heart recent comments and accepts that his views on the EU, women, brexiters etc have no basis in fact.
He has promised to try and change, he has cancelled his Express subscription and will cut all ties with Ukip and similar organisations.
From today Dick has promised to be the beacon of reason and balance on this forum and an example to us all.

You didn't fool me. It's an April Fool's prank (either your post, or his promise). :p

mikelincs Apr 1st 2017 8:59 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218754)
I have had a PM fron Dick, he has taken to heart recent comments and accepts that his views on the EU, women, brexiters etc have no basis in fact.
He has promised to try and change, he has cancelled his Express subscription and will cut all ties with Ukip and similar organisations.
From today Dick has promised to be the beacon of reason and balance on this forum and an example to us all.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:, and the date of the PM, 01/04?????

DaveLovesDee Apr 1st 2017 9:18 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
The logical next step for Britain

Bipat Apr 1st 2017 9:21 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218771)
Trade will increase for all, the EU is Indian biggest trading partners.
What will the UK offer its middle class that it currently cannot buy and prefers to buy from Germany and others.

As you know the EU want a free trade deal with India, recently tried to resurrect failed negotiations.

I know what I read and see. British products --retail, clothing, educational, creative, eg. 1000 new Holland & Barrett etc are popular.
They have had close association with UK for more than a century--they know all about the UK! There is great increase in tourist travel to UK.

(I hate to say it, as I disaprove, there is an expected increase in arms sale by UK to India, post Brexit).

amideislas Apr 1st 2017 9:21 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12218777)
I can very well see the logic you're using here - and it's the kind which is often applied by the Getting-the-Wrong-End-of-The-Stick Brigade - but I'm afraid I don't agree with you. One can be perfectly convinced that a hypothetical situation will not turn out particularly well without either wishing it to present itself nor, if it does, to desire that it turns out badly simply to prove that one was right all along.

I also find it a little odd that people who can be quite exigent on some matters can be really quite fanciful on others, depending on their point of view. For example, there are those who claim, without a shred of evidence to back it up, that people expressing negative thoughts about a country's future because they harbour doubts as to the wisdom of actions which have already taken place or which are known to be going to occur shortly and which represent a massive but as yet unkown quantity of change, can actually put that country's future in jeopardy! Imagine that! The only possible explanation I can think of for expressing such a daft idea is that if everything does happen to go tits-up, the purveyor of the clap-trap can claim that it was the negative thoughts, rather than the events on which those thoughts were posited, which caused the disaster.

Very true, and thanks.

Unfortunately, it's probably over the head of the target audience. They generally don't respond well (or at all) to words and phrases which appear "intellectual" (the very enemy of their cause). You'd probably be more effective by illustrating your point with shorter words and sentences, and phrasing appealing to emotions rather than logic or reason. The tabloids are quite successful with that strategy.

Bipat Apr 1st 2017 9:26 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12218789)

If you had put a joke post like this about Germany there would have been an outcry on this thread!

Ingles Apr 1st 2017 9:40 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218754)
I have had a PM fron Dick, he has taken to heart recent comments and accepts that his views on the EU, women, brexiters etc have no basis in fact.
He has promised to try and change, he has cancelled his Express subscription and will cut all ties with Ukip and similar organisations.
From today Dick has promised to be the beacon of reason and balance on this forum and an example to us all.

01.04.2017 :rofl:

Good try EMR

jimenato Apr 1st 2017 9:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
EMR, April fools jokes are supposed to have at least a minimal measure of plausibility to work...

InVinoVeritas Apr 1st 2017 9:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12218793)
Very true, and thanks.

Unfortunately, it's probably over the head of the target audience. They generally don't respond well (or at all) to words and phrases which appear "intellectual" (the very enemy of their cause). You'd probably be more effective by illustrating your point with shorter words and sentences, and phrasing appealing to emotions rather than logic or reason. The tabloids are quite successful with that strategy.

You don't win arguments by suggesting that the people who disagree with you are sub-intelligent nor by posting links to editorial which simply reflects your own opinions. Try posting your reasoning and not just your prejudice. And PLEASE don't say you have already done that cos I ain't seen it :sneaky:

jimenato Apr 1st 2017 9:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12218793)
Very true, and thanks.

Unfortunately, it's probably over the head of the target audience. They generally don't respond well (or at all) to words and phrases which appear "intellectual" (the very enemy of their cause). You'd probably be more effective by illustrating your point with shorter words and sentences, and phrasing appealing to emotions rather than logic or reason. The tabloids are quite successful with that strategy.

Writing with crayons helps.

jimenato Apr 1st 2017 9:54 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12218777)
I can very well see the logic you're using here - and it's the kind which is often applied by the Getting-the-Wrong-End-of-The-Stick Brigade - but I'm afraid I don't agree with you. One can be perfectly convinced that a hypothetical situation will not turn out particularly well without either wishing it to present itself nor, if it does, to desire that it turns out badly simply to prove that one was right all along.

I also find it a little odd that people who can be quite exigent on some matters can be really quite fanciful on others, depending on their point of view. For example, there are those who claim, without a shred of evidence to back it up, that people expressing negative thoughts about a country's future because they harbour doubts as to the wisdom of actions which have already taken place or which are known to be going to occur shortly and which represent a massive but as yet unkown quantity of change, can actually put that country's future in jeopardy! Imagine that! The only possible explanation I can think of for expressing such a daft idea is that if everything does happen to go tits-up, the purveyor of the clap-trap can claim that it was the negative thoughts, rather than the events on which those thoughts were posited, which caused the disaster.

Excellent post. You are of course largely stating the bleedin' obvious but it has to be done from time to time.

InVinoVeritas Apr 1st 2017 10:01 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12218777)
I also find it a little odd that people who can be quite exigent on some matters can be really quite fanciful on others, depending on their point of view.

Why is that odd, Eric? It's simply a result of your own biais. If someone says something you agree with then they're exigent but if they then say something you disagree with then they are fanciful. There is a lack of knowledge, experience and reason from Remainers on this thread (OK and maybe the odd Brexiter, too ;))

DaveLovesDee Apr 1st 2017 10:03 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12218796)
If you had put a joke post like this about Germany there would have been an outcry on this thread!

Did Germany vote for Deuexit? If it ever does, there'll probably be a similar article about them too.

And had anyone posted a Germany version of this, I'd feel the same as I do about this one. It's satire, that why it works well in the UK.

Ingles Apr 1st 2017 10:11 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
A passage from the Bible that the "OUT Camp" believed was
-the truth,the whole truth & nothing but the truth-

Polar bears spotted in Scotland as animals flee melting Arctic ice cap

EMR Apr 1st 2017 10:19 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12218809)
EMR, April fools jokes are supposed to have at least a minimal measure of plausibility to work...

I was waiting for Dick's indignant response, he not having the wit to make the connection, now he will not fall for it, or maybe he will ?


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:18 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.