British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Apr 1st 2017 6:43 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12218724)
I think everyone needs to go away and do a bit of homework about the way the EU mandates trade. There seems to be a general misunderstanding and/or deliberate misrepresentation. And, by the way, free trade is a bit of a misnomer here - it mean trade freely not trade without tariff.

The only mandate with regards to "trade agreements" is that trade agreements are negotiated by the EU, for the benefit of the entire EU, not one member (which is perfectly reasonable). But there's no mandate that prohibits trade if the EU has no trade agreement.

For example, the UK trades with India, but there is no "trade agreement" signed between the EU and India (except default WTO of course).

By the way, I think it may be YOU who needs to brush up on trade. "Free trade" means a hell of a lot more than "tariff-free" trade. In fact, it's the non-tariff barriers that are of the greatest significance in any trade agreement. These are the parts that involve agreeing to "regulations".

Read up. It's much, much more than tariffs.

EMR Apr 1st 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12218561)
The only other hate and insanity within Europe at present seems to come directly from Brussels.

I thought they'd already made enemies of just about everyone possible,
East and West, North and South as well as within their own organisation and member countries.

However old Junkie seems to have taken EU insanity to a whole new level, with his virtual declaration of war on the USA !

With the end of WW2, most folk were hoping we'd seen the last of mad, insane Dictators,
but the Eu is certainly proving that belief entirely wrong, by producing a whole new crop all of its own making !

Need I say any more ,when it comes to your irrational, insane complex ridden posts.

EMR Apr 1st 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12218734)
The only mandate with regards to "trade agreements" is that trade agreements are negotiated by the EU, for the benefit of the entire EU, not one member (which is perfectly reasonable). But there's no mandate that prohibits trade if the EU has no trade agreement.

For example, the UK trades with India, but there is no "trade agreement" signed between the EU and India (except default WTO of course).

The UK is way below Germany when it comes to trade with that country.
Why is that ?
Because the Germans are better salesman have more of what India Wants?

EMR Apr 1st 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12218727)
That's no secret

From a post I made on 5/5/15

So I would be happy to be out of a club that allows one member to shit on another even if it meant returning to a closed frontier.

You have posted that you would be happy with a closed frontier.
The other 99.9% on Gib obviously think differently, rather like the referendum vote.

GeniB Apr 1st 2017 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12218551)
Precisely.

There have been far more positives than negatives since the referendum and the widely predicted post referendum Armageddon simply didn't happen.

Personally I find it hard to comprehend the mentality of those who make it so obvious they are so desperate for Brexit to fail.

I can to a certain degree understand the post referendum sour grapes and bitterness of those who expected Remain to win,
but the reason why they continue in that same hateful, spiteful mode, so long afterwards, rather than moving on, is way beyond belief.

:cool:

The ONLY hateful and spiteful poster on here is you Dick. I think most of us think you have a personality disorder now as there is no rational to your posts
You have been the one to post 'hate mail' about members of the EU parliament particularly Junkers who you describe in the most virulent way as if he has done you some personal harm. ?

You might want to read the interview with him in the FT lunch piece. It might open you eyes to the fact that he is a decent man with many many years of political history and service to his country and the EU. Elected years at that.

The shameful fact that the totally disgraceful and untrue piece in the British tabloids about his father and his own personal life contributed to his father's death. You have followed suit in that area with your spite..Now it seems disguised as a virtue

No one on here ever wished the UK to fail,Never said they hoped for that. If disagreeing with the path it was taking is seen as that then that is only in the eyes of those who cannot accept another viewpoint

amideislas Apr 1st 2017 7:22 am

Breakfast of champions. :drinkingwine:

A bit early though (or ran late). Usually starts at the crack of noon.

One thing to note (and take comfort in) is that British tabloids are read almost exclusively by Brits. The "rest of the world" hasn't much interest, so whatever crap they publish tends to stop at the channel.

Assanah Apr 1st 2017 7:31 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12218724)
I think everyone needs to go away and do a bit of homework about the way the EU mandates trade. There seems to be a general misunderstanding and/or deliberate misrepresentation. And, by the way, free trade is a bit of a misnomer here - it mean trade freely not trade without tariff.

Well not only does the EU consult with the member states before starting negotiation but also published an electronic questionnaire for stakeholders. This is to make sure that the interests of companies are included in the process not only the view of member states. This btw is not only done once but often several times during the process to make sure to always have an updated opinion. And the EU also enters into dialogues with Non- governmental organisations, consumer groups, associations etc. There is a lot of input from all levels of societies of all member states including national governments and parliament. Of course that is one of the reasons why the process of negotiating takes so much time. Would the EU really be dictatorial and would disregard the view of member states, companies and consumer groups the process would be much faster. I am sure dictatorial Theresa May will be much quicker in negotiation. She seems to gives a fu*** about the Scots,people in Northern Ireland, remainers and moderate Brexiteers, the industry, universities, artists and scientists. I very much prefer the EU approach.

EMR Apr 1st 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12218745)
The ONLY hateful and spiteful poster on here is you Dick. I think most of us think you have a personality disorder now as there is no rational to your posts
You have been the one to post 'hate mail' about members of the EU parliament particularly Junkers who you describe in the most virulent way as if he has done you some personal harm. ?

You might want to read the interview with him in the FT lunch piece. It might open you eyes to the fact that he is a decent man with many many years of political history and service to his country and the EU. Elected years at that.

The shameful fact that the totally disgraceful and untrue piece in the British tabloids about his father and his own personal life contributed to his father's death. You have followed suit in that area with your spite..Now it seems disguised as a virtue

No one on here ever wished the UK to fail,Never said they hoped for that. If disagreeing with the path it was taking is seen as that then that is only in the eyes of those who cannot accept another viewpoint

I have had a PM fron Dick, he has taken to heart recent comments and accepts that his views on the EU, women, brexiters etc have no basis in fact.
He has promised to try and change, he has cancelled his Express subscription and will cut all ties with Ukip and similar organisations.
From today Dick has promised to be the beacon of reason and balance on this forum and an example to us all.

Bipat Apr 1st 2017 7:50 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218737)
The UK is way below Germany when it comes to trade with that country.
Why is that ?
Because the Germans are better salesman have more of what India Wants?

Yes, Germany exports more goods at the present time but UK --finance and professional services etc. IT, creative, etc. Also gets more investment into the UK and job creation.
Post Brexit trade will increase. Remember the vast fast increasing middle class market, UK can take advantage of. We will see!!

GeniB Apr 1st 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12218751)
Well not only does the EU consult with the member states before starting negotiation but also published an electronic questionnaire for stakeholders. This is to make sure that the interests of companies are included in the process not only the view of member states. This btw is not only done once but often several times during the process to make sure to always have an updated opinion. And the EU also enters into dialogues with Non- governmental organisations, consumer groups, associations etc. There is a lot of input from all levels of societies of all member states including national governments and parliament. Of course that is one of the reasons why the process of negotiating takes so much time. Would the EU really be dictatorial and would disregard the view of member states, companies and consumer groups the process would be much faster. I am sure dictatorial Theresa May will be much quicker in negotiation. She seems to gives a fu*** about the Scots,people in Northern Ireland, remainers and moderate Brexiteers, the industry, universities, artists and scientists. I very much prefer the EU approach.

:goodpost: The UK in fact has been virtually the only member state who has allowed it's public to be ill informed.. Quite deliberately it now turns out when you remember Boris Johnson's 20 yrs of fake news from Brussels, Farage, The Oxford sets determination to remove the UK from the EU. and the total unfair debacle of the 'fixed' referendum.
As an ex-pat who has lived and worked in three EU member countries I know first hand about being informed correctly, either through the media, or through the Government of those countries .As a director of mine and OH's company in the latter yrs I also know how companies are informed of any changes or proposals coming from the EU..

GeniB Apr 1st 2017 8:07 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218754)
I have had a PM fron Dick, he has taken to heart recent comments and accepts that his views on the EU, women, brexiters etc have no basis in fact.
He has promised to try and change, he has cancelled his Express subscription and will cut all ties with Ukip and similar organisations.
From today Dick has promised to be the beacon of reason and balance on this forum and an example to us all.

Has he changed his medication then? :starsmile:

EMR Apr 1st 2017 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12218759)
Yes, Germany exports more goods at the present time but UK --finance and professional services etc. IT, creative, etc. Also gets more investment into the UK and job creation.
Post Brexit trade will increase. Remember the vast fast increasing middle class market, UK can take advantage of. We will see!!

Trade will increase for all, the EU is Indian biggest trading partners.
What will the UK offer its middle class that it currently cannot buy and prefers to buy from Germany and others.

InVinoVeritas Apr 1st 2017 8:21 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218754)

Excellent. I assume it was sent today :lol:

amideislas Apr 1st 2017 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12218759)

And what does India or any other country get from the UK that's special or different from what they get from anyone else? India is already a leader in IT, there is really creative talent everywhere, including the US, Europe, Asia.

I can understand that if you live inside the British bubble of consciousness, you might believe the "rest of the world" is British. The problem with that thinking is that "the rest of the world" is neither British nor gives a shit whether you are. The "rest of the world" cares about its own problems.

So, what does the UK have that's special or different from what "the rest of the world" gets from anyone else?

Red Eric Apr 1st 2017 8:29 am

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12218497)
When someone spends a year posting negative views with nothing to back them up except their own opinions and links to the media for an event which has not happened then, yes, I do think those views sound as if they want the UK to fail. I would not say those views sound as if they want the UK to succeed. Would you?

I can very well see the logic you're using here - and it's the kind which is often applied by the Getting-the-Wrong-End-of-The-Stick Brigade - but I'm afraid I don't agree with you. One can be perfectly convinced that a hypothetical situation will not turn out particularly well without either wishing it to present itself nor, if it does, to desire that it turns out badly simply to prove that one was right all along.

I also find it a little odd that people who can be quite exigent on some matters can be really quite fanciful on others, depending on their point of view. For example, there are those who claim, without a shred of evidence to back it up, that people expressing negative thoughts about a country's future because they harbour doubts as to the wisdom of actions which have already taken place or which are known to be going to occur shortly and which represent a massive but as yet unkown quantity of change, can actually put that country's future in jeopardy! Imagine that! The only possible explanation I can think of for expressing such a daft idea is that if everything does happen to go tits-up, the purveyor of the clap-trap can claim that it was the negative thoughts, rather than the events on which those thoughts were posited, which caused the disaster.