British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Mar 31st 2017 2:21 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12218159)

Wow! Now they can start deporting all those EU citizens. Ironically, a category of which even white anglo-saxon protestant British-borns still fall into.

Come to think of it, with that little truth, I reckon one could assert with some credibility, that EU citizens caused brexit. Or that it was EU citizens who voted for brexit. Or EU citizens "take all British jobs". Or that EU citizens are the reason for virtually all of Britain's problems (most of which have nothing to do with the EU).

Damn! I should be a brexit lawyer. But I hold a "foreign" passport now, and "foreigners" are barred from anything to do with Brexit, so that's probably delusional.

But then again, I'm white anglo-saxon and British born, and lots of brexit stuff is completely delusional, so maybe if I just join in with the "it's really great" crowd, maybe it'll make me a shoo-in.

amideislas Mar 31st 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12218164)

Once we are out of the EU we can trade on whatever terms we and other countries decide.

Yeah, "free" to trade under terms that other countries decide. "We" are the ones who "need it", and so "we"'ll need to rely on the "kindness of others". The "other countries" can consider it without urgency, or desperation, and on whatever terms best suits them.

iano Mar 31st 2017 2:44 pm

The UK can only trade with the rest of the world, including the Commonwealth, under the terms the EU dictates.

I'm struggling to see how terms negotiated by a trade bloc comprising 500 million people (including us) would ever be inferior to terms negotiated on behalf of 65 million people (including us) in the future.

:unsure:

Novocastrian Mar 31st 2017 3:06 pm

Has Mr. Bargate been heard from today?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-negotiations

:rofl::rofl:

Bipat Mar 31st 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12218173)
Wow! Now they can start deporting all those EU citizens. Ironically, a category of which even white anglo-saxon protestant British-borns still fall into.

Come to think of it, with that little truth, I reckon one could assert with some credibility, that EU citizens caused brexit. Or that it was EU citizens who voted for brexit. Or EU citizens "take all British jobs". Or that EU citizens are the reason for virtually all of Britain's problems (most of which have nothing to do with the EU).

Damn! I should be a brexit lawyer. But I hold a "foreign" passport now, and "foreigners" are barred from anything to do with Brexit, so that's probably delusional.

But then again, I'm white anglo-saxon and British born, and lots of brexit stuff is completely delusional, so maybe if I just join in with the "it's really great" crowd, maybe it'll make me a shoo-in.

You are talking rubbish and you must know that.:lol:

It applies to foreign nationals who have committed a crime, when their staying would not be conducive to the public good / a custodial sentence would have been given etc.
The ECJ has overturned some decisions of the UK regarding such criminals.

Many non-EU British people have dual nationality, it would also apply to them.

The EU is not a nationality.

Bipat Mar 31st 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12218191)
I'm struggling to see how terms negotiated by a trade bloc comprising 500 million people (including us) would ever be inferior to terms negotiated on behalf of 65 million people (including us) in the future.

Satisfying the demands of 27 separate countries means a free trade deal with the EU is more difficult to achieve.

InVinoVeritas Mar 31st 2017 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12218191)

It's because the EU is the largest trading bloc in the world that its has imposed trade terms on other countries which are sometimes quite unattractive in terms of tariffs, quotas, regulations and labelling. There is a whole EU website devoted to informing exporters to the EU of such trade terms, by country and product, which illustrates this quite well:-

TARIC Consultation

You can't tell from this what tariffs, quotas etc are levied on EU imports into the other countries but one would assume they would not be dissimilar.

It is the hope that the UK, by entering into bilateral agreements with these countries on more attractive terms, should lead to an increase in trade.

Extra-EU trade (ie trade between the EU and non-EU countries) has actually fallen for the last 2 or 3 years so it is not a unreasonable expectation.

InVinoVeritas Mar 31st 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12218221)
It's because the EU is the largest trading bloc in the world that its has imposed trade terms on other countries which are sometimes quite unattractive in terms of tariffs, quotas, regulations and labelling. There is a whole EU website devoted to informing exporters to the EU of such trade terms, by country and product, which illustrates this quite well:-

TARIC Consultation

You can't tell from this what tariffs, quotas etc are levied on EU imports into the other countries but one would assume they would not be dissimilar.

It is the hope that the UK, by entering into bilateral agreements with these countries on more attractive terms, should lead to an increase in trade.

Extra-EU trade (ie trade between the EU and non-EU countries) has actually fallen for the last 2 or 3 years so it is not a unreasonable expectation.

As an anecdote to my post above, there was an interesting program on French TV last night about a struggling manufacturer of hand-painted porcelain (something of a French speciality) which is suffering stiff competition from Chinese imports which are labelled hand-painted but are, in fact, mass-produced.

I mention this purely to show that the EU often makes rules with the aim of creating a level playing field, but these are often flouted and seldom enforced.

DaveLovesDee Mar 31st 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12218159)

No it didn't. The article merely states in the first few paragraphs that that is what will be the first thing repealed post-Brexit. Then again, it may not be true as the article also says;

MPs cheered in the House of Commons as the Brexit Secretary told them Britain would be regaining the sovereignty it last enjoyed in 1972.
I thought the Brexit white paper said we'd never lost sovereignty?

Oh dear, I don't know how you keep getting it so wrong.

The UK can only trade with the rest of the world, including the Commonwealth, under the terms the EU dictates

And you keep saying no trade with, where you mean can't make trade deals with.

Companies in those countries that the EU doesn't have trade deals with can and do supplies companies in the UK with products, and vice versa. Just because there's no bilateral trade deal doesn't mean there's no trade.

amideislas Mar 31st 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12218206)
You are talking rubbish and you must know that.:lol:

It applies to foreign nationals who have committed a crime, when their staying would not be conducive to the public good / a custodial sentence would have been given etc.
The ECJ has overturned some decisions of the UK regarding such criminals.

Many non-EU British people have dual nationality, it would also apply to them.

The EU is not a nationality.

Aww shucks. I reckon a lot of people who were expecting to get rid of all those pesky EU "migrants" will be disappointed. But without that pesky ECJ, maybe they can be deported anyway. Besides, I reckon a good lawyer could argue they're all committing a crime by "invading our country".

On another Brexit upside, how's the £350 mil working for the NHS?

la mancha Mar 31st 2017 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12218155)
And maybe some people should apply themselves better to what others are actually posting and not what their hastily-formed impressions are.

Come to that, some could also do with brushing up on their ability to properly understand what is said or printed in news reports.

I am discussing people who are sounding like they want Britain to fail. One doesn’t have to look too far to see this on here. I do see what others are actually posting and a lot of it sounds like they want Britain to fail.

amideislas Mar 31st 2017 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12218264)
I am discussing people who are sounding like they want Britain to fail. One doesn’t have to look too far to see this on here. I do see what others are actually posting and a lot of it sounds like they want Britain to fail.

It takes less effort to see that the Brexit negotiators are not going to get the cake and eat it.

InVinoVeritas Mar 31st 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12218241)

Companies in those countries that the EU doesn't have trade deals with can and do supplies companies in the UK with products, and vice versa. Just because there's no bilateral trade deal doesn't mean there's no trade.

To the best of my knowledge, EU members can only trade with those countries, which do not already have a trade agreement with the EU, if it is under the WTO rules. This assumes that the country concerned is a WTO member, otherwise they cannot trade.

Ingles Mar 31st 2017 4:31 pm

I do believe that a certain poster who lives on Gib & Voted OUT
This will be a finger up the -rse for him if the Spanish pull this off :rofl:

Outrage as Spain and EU accused of using Brexit to take back Gibraltar, as MPs say Britain will 'not be bullied'�

la mancha Mar 31st 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12218266)
It takes less effort to see that the Brexit negotiators are not going to get the cake and eat it.

See what I mean, ERIC? Negotiations haven't even started yet.