British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Mar 31st 2017 10:36 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12217991)
I agree, we have Brexit now whether we voted for it or not. Surely what is best for the UK will be the best deals possible for leaving the EU, future trade with the EU, EU countries, and other non-EU countries. It cannot be achieved in two days!

All the negativity, criticising the PM and Ministers at every opportunity, insults to Brexiters, the press daily reporting on even the slightest set back, can only do harm.
It would seem that some want failure.

Have you seen the statement from the EU councilof ministers , it makes it clear that the UK cannot have what it has now with regards to trade.
That trade discussions cannot even take place until the terms of our leaving have been agreed.
It may be 2 or 3 months before the first round of negotiations takes place.

It's not about failure its about to facing up to reality.
Still to be positive there will be a 60,000 probably min wage jobs available for the UK unemployed in the leisure and hospitality industry where currently 24% are either permanent or temporary seasonal EU workers.
So it's not all bad news.

InVinoVeritas Mar 31st 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12218001)
Have you seen the statement from the EU councilof ministers , it makes it clear that the UK cannot have what it has now with regards to trade.
That trade discussions cannot even take place until the terms of our leaving have been agreed.
It may be 2 or 3 months before the first round of negotiations takes place.

It's not about failure its about to facing up to reality.
Still to be positive there will be a 60,000 probably min wage jobs available for the UK unemployed in the leisure and hospitality industry where currently 24% are either permanent or temporary seasonal EU workers.
So it's not all bad news.

Possibly the shortest interval of time between you predicting something and being proved wrong:-

EU sets out 'phased' Brexit strategy - BBC News

Note the phrase talks on a trade deal could begin once "sufficient progress" is made on a separation settlement with the UK

EMR Mar 31st 2017 10:50 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12218005)
Possibly the shortest interval of time between you predicting something and being proved wrong:-

EU sets out 'phased' Brexit strategy - BBC News

Note the phrase talks on a trade deal could begin once "sufficient progress" is made on a separation settlement with the UK

You obviously do not understand what " talks on a trade deal could begin once sufficient progress is made etc.
The BBC headline was just a summary, not the actual words used in the EU statement.

What do you think that the EU means by sufficient progress.
Hello,good morning, now let's talk about trade.
You really do need to face up to the reality that faces the UK.

amideislas Mar 31st 2017 11:08 am

I have an old bike for sale, in reasonably good shape. A new, similar model would cost around €500.

So I figure I should ask €500 for it. Although lots of people have told me that nobody will buy it for that price.

But I told them they're all too pessimistic and just "wanting me to fail". I think it's best to remain optimistic, so I've already spent the €500 on a new bike. Looking forward to getting my money back from the sale of the old one.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 31st 2017 11:35 am

I see the Brussels jumped up, tin pot Dictators are being their usual bloody minded selves.

Best thing if we just tell them to stuff their sad sorry shitty mess where the Sun don't shine.

Theyll still be doing business with us as usual whatever happens,
they can't afford to do any other, balance of trade being what it is and the failed Empire building project on the brink of extinction with not a cent left to scratch their sorry arses.

:cool:

EMR Mar 31st 2017 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12218035)
I see the Brussels jumped up, tin pot Dictators are being their usual bloody minded selves.

Best thing if we just tell them to stuff their sad sorry shitty mess where the Sun don't shine.

Theyll still be doing business with us as usual whatever happens,
they can't afford to do any other, balance of trade being what it is and the failed Empire building project on the brink of extinction with not a cent left to scratch their sorry arses.

:cool:

You let me down Dick, I expected to see your usual insane rants earlier following the statement from the Council of Ministers ( not Brussels).
But when ever have facts been important to you.
What the betting you will repost this at least three times with associated links from the Express.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 31st 2017 12:06 pm

Ex-PM and Remainer David Cameron reveals: I DON'T LIKE THE EU FLAG AND PARLIAMENT - Your Brexit

Strange,

He didn't mention it at the time of the referendum.

:confused:

Bipat Mar 31st 2017 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12218020)
I have an old bike for sale, in reasonably good shape. A new, similar model would cost around €500.

So I figure I should ask €500 for it. Although lots of people have told me that nobody will buy it for that price.

But I told them they're all too pessimistic and just "wanting me to fail". I think it's best to remain optimistic, so I've already spent the €500 on a new bike. Looking forward to getting my money back from the sale of the old one.

You and others on the Forum seem determined to ignore the fact that Post Brexit the UK will have more freedom to trade with the rest of the world. 196 world countries only just 27 in the EU not even all of Europe.
(Oh I forgot full of those dreadful foreign people who can't be trusted!:lol:)

(You could probably sell your bike eventually for an even higher price--antique rarity value! If you have any patience.)

amideislas Mar 31st 2017 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12218056)
You and others on the Forum seem determined to ignore the fact that Post Brexit the UK will have more freedom to trade with the rest of the world. 196 world countries only just 27 in the EU not even all of Europe.

(You could probably sell your bike eventually for an even higher price--antique rarity value! If you have any patience.)

Britain already trades with "the rest of the world" under damn good terms, so I'm not clear on how Brexit will change that significantly. In fact, it will take at least a decade or more to re-negotiate trade with everyone it already trades with. And that's optimistic.

Can anyone remind me what was the point in the first place?

Oh, yeah, to curb immigration (something that has precious little to do with the EU)...

EMR Mar 31st 2017 12:25 pm

You seem determined to ignore the fact that we already trade with most of the other 196 coun tries in the world and have done for over 100 years.
We did not stop trading when we joined the EU.
You are getting as bad as Dick when it comes to facts.

EMR Mar 31st 2017 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12218055)
Ex-PM and Remainer David Cameron reveals: I DON'T LIKE THE EU FLAG AND PARLIAMENT - Your Brexit

Strange,

Facts again Dick really your Achilles heel.
There have been many references including some from your favourite newspapers going back at least two years regarding Cameron views on the EU and it's need to reform.

lutonlad Mar 31st 2017 12:28 pm

I agree, we have Brexit now whether we voted for it or not. Surely what is best for the UK will be the best deals possible for leaving the EU, future trade with the EU, EU countries, and other non-EU countries. It cannot be achieved in two days!

All the negativity, criticising the PM and Ministers at every opportunity, insults to Brexiters, the press daily reporting on even the slightest set back, can only do harm.

With respect, that's a massive understatement.

Many are desperate for the process to fail and are openly hostile to anyone who voted for brexit, as eloquently put by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on the famously impartial Matthew Wright programme this week. She despises anyone, including those from her own family who support brexit. It makes her blood boil apparently.
Still, at least she's honest about it - unlike the Gina Miller camp who try to convince everyone that her actions are merely in the interests of parliamentary democracy and have nothing to do with her being anti brexit. Yeah right!

DaveLovesDee Mar 31st 2017 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12218055)

Strange,

He's never mentioned it publicly before. I wonder what he's trying to sell? Probably a book, or his services to some company or other.

We have freedom to trade now, and free trade agreements with a large percentage of the world outside the EU with our EU membership. And more deals being made or in the process of negotiation.

We lose those free trade deals the day we leave, which appears to be the 29th March 2019, unless the UK and EU negotiate a transitional period where some or all of these still apply while we negotiate new deals with other prospective partners.

amideislas Mar 31st 2017 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12218069)

Many are desperate for the process to fail and are openly hostile to anyone who voted for brexit, as eloquently put by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown on the famously impartial Matthew Wright programme this week. She despises anyone, including those from her own family who support brexit. It makes her blood boil apparently.
Still, at least she's honest about it - unlike the Gina Miller camp who try to convince everyone that her actions are merely in the interests of parliamentary democracy and have nothing to do with her being anti brexit. Yeah right!

I would characterise it a bit differently. It seems Britain England wants all of the benefits with none of the burdens (although by all credible accounts, that's not remotely possible). Yet, if it doesn't get that, it will equate to failure (or "unfair punishment"), and will of course, be somebody else's fault (e.g., "Remoaners", "EU", Martians).

That might explain why so many refer to the Brexit team's assertions as "delusional". I don't think most (or even "many) want it to fail. It's just that the chances of "success" (by Brexiteers' own definition) are demonstrably, pretty farkin' slim. And frankly, just plain delusional.

I have no doubts, however, that no matter what the outcome, the predictable politically-correct hailing will be that Brexit is a monumental "success". And "many" will gobble that right up.

Gobble Gobble...

EMR Mar 31st 2017 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12218069)

Dooah, anyone who voted remain is anti brexit, all 48 % of those who voted.
We cannot change it but as we live in a free society not a brexit dictatorship we are free to say anything we want to.